New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephants not dangerous
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Elephants not dangerous and other made up stats.

http://www.rexano.org/Statisti...lephant_Fatality.pdf

Average human death per year according to this source .66 - chance of getting killed 1 - 480 mil.

This is total BS.

1 in 480 mil is using the whole US population.

In reality there are 288 elephants in US zoos - let assume there are another 288 in circuses ect. Round up to 600 elephants - they whack off .66 people per year - mainly trainer or people who take care of them.

So in reality - pretty damn dangerous job to be anywhere near a elephant.

I have rounded and approximated numbers as I have incomplete data - but I am being super conservative. Chance of getting whacked by a elephant in captivity is pretty high if you take care of them or are anywhere near them.

My advice stay far away from elephants.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stats IMO are more dangerous than elephants.

Unless you really understand the exact population being used, they can be very misleading.

Thanks for the thread.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll quote these stats to the cow eles and tuskless next time they are screaming and raising sand at me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mikey, he's STILL looking for you! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
I'll quote these stats to the cow eles and tuskless next time they are screaming and raising sand at me.

I am pretty sure quoting wrong made up stats will only result in lighter stomping than usual Cool

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mikey, he's STILL looking for you! :-)

Biebs if I run the numbers right - there is a better chance to get stopped by a elephant if one is a trainer/handler than you have of hitting 75 inch flat screen TV at 100 yards with your super accurate Blaser dancing

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least I don't need a couple banana clips-full of 375 Ruger to hit a Moose in the ass! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Stats IMO are more dangerous than elephants.

Unless you really understand the exact population being used, they can be very misleading.

Thanks for the thread.

BH63

Figures don't lie but liars are always figuring.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tell that to guys who have hunted elephants few times
" Oh , don't worry boys, 1 in 480 mil is safe, just stand here in the middle of elephants herd , you'll be safe

Good point Mike

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://news.yahoo.com/shocking...an-is-151056661.html

Saw this down at the bottom of another thread. Says 5 people killed in past few days by elephants. In India, and Asian elephants, but still...
k

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
The title of this tread notwithstanding, Elephants in the wild scare the hell out of me.

Just sayin. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Statistics are wonderful things; considering that they include the millions of people who never get within a hundred kilometers of a wild elephant. Thanks for posting the video from India, I was looking for it.

Posts: 10381 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stats were from a group that wants to keep private animal ownership legal in the US.

Private ownership of elephant in the US is safe to the public- that is the 1 in 400 million risk.

On the other hand, being around elephants is dangerous. These are supposedly smart and tame animals and there have been 16 deaths relatively recently in the very small group of people who have routine exposure to them... How many people are exposed to elephants professionally in the USA? Not great odds, methinks.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall reading once that hippos kill more people in Africa than any other animal or reptile....is this correct ?

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IKE:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall reading once that hippos kill more people in Africa than any other animal or reptile....is this correct ?

No. They are responsible for the death of many people but only indirect. Blacks normally can't swim and hippos are fond of turning boats upside down. So the people drown.

http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa
http://www.jim-corbett.de

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been bluff charged several times by a large bull elephant, which I finally killed at 20 yards, I believe you have a better chance of surviving an elephant charge (provided you shoot straight and are using the proper rifle/bullet combination), then trying to change the minds of millions of people who are convinced of the righteousness of their position due to misleading stats.

Kind of like "The pen is mightier than the sword", extrapolated to "Mass ignorance is mightier (i.e. more dangerous) than a charging elephant".

JMO.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As one who deals with statistics from time to time there is only one truth: There are liars, damn liars and statistics.
I once came close to being ele toe jam. That wasnt a statistics that is best classified as a near underwear changing experience

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vining:
As one who deals with statistics from time to time there is only one truth: There are liars, damn liars and statistics.
I once came close to being ele toe jam. That wasnt a statistics that is best classified as a near underwear changing experience

Yet statistically, a swimming pool is more dangerous than a wild elephant. Go figure.

BH63