Notify
Tools

Tet tse fly! What can I do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted
Ladys and gentlemen,
I am heading to selous in late july. Last time I was there I was bitten to the bone by Tettse . I hate the ( not enough to quit going) what can I do to try and minimize the times they bite me. Last time I looked like an astronaut. Not very comfy after chasing buffalo for hours... one even managed to bite me through my leather glove. Any tips sill be more than welcome. Thanks in advance

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good luck using Avon Skin So Soft in Zambia during October.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skin so soft (picardin) and things like smoldering elephant poop smoke help... but when they are around in numbers, nothing is going to stop all the bites.

I’d take some antihistamines (Claritin/Zyrtec for day, Benadryl if it’s not a no-no like in Zambia for evening, some hydrocortisone cream for itching, and some Zantac (the stomach drug, it’s a antihistamine with H2 activity)) for most of it. If you really get bad hives prednisone will help but is very side effect heavy and is prescription only, so you will need to convince a doc you are a good risk for needing it.

Enjoy the Selous! I love it there!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Skin so soft (picardin) and things like smoldering elephant poop smoke help... but when they are around in numbers, nothing is going to stop all the bites.

I’d take some antihistamines (Claritin/Zyrtec for day, Benadryl if it’s not a no-no like in Zambia for evening, some hydrocortisone cream for itching, and some Zantac (the stomach drug, it’s a antihistamine with H2 activity)) for most of it. If you really get bad hives prednisone will help but is very side effect heavy and is prescription only, so you will need to convince a doc you are a good risk for needing it.

Enjoy the Selous! I love it there!

Spot on advice but nothing is going to stop all the bastards.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Diego,

I have a pretty strong reaction to the nasty buggers. Avon Skins so Soft works pretty good and do take some antihistamines as suggested. One time my uvula swelled up to the point that if I coughed I had to actually swallow back my uvula. Claritin helped a lot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the Permethrin spray for your clothes and SOAK them. My first trip to Zim in 2011 I did that. We were in tsetse areas almost daily. The PH, his trackers, and the game scout got eaten. I got bit one time, the last day, on the ankle. In hindsight I did not spray my socks as well as my shirt/pants. I won't go to a tsetse area without doing that. The main thing-don't be conservative on the spraying of the clothes. Use 1.5-2x as much as the label says. The clothes need to be WET when you are done. Once they air dry they can be washed 3-6 times without affecting efficacy. Beats the hell out of being a tsetse meal. I also used the Skin So Soft with sunscreen and bug repellant on my skin-worked well.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second on the permethrin treatment.
Commercial sprays are 0.5%. I buy a termiticide spray on Amazon called Permethrin SFR that is 36.8%, do the Math and dilute up about 10 gallons in a Rubbermaid and soak all my clothing before leaving. Dry well, and I just pack and start wearing them. There will be a slight odor before the first washing, and if it bothers you, wash them once after treating and drying. Also takes care of ticks, not an insubstantial benefit.
This is much cheaper, and I think more effective than sprays. A quart is $23.80 on Amazon right now.
Once I made the mistake of using a permethrin concentrate made for treating cattle. Everything smelled like kerosene.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I washed my clothes in Permethrin and used wipes with Picardin....don't take this like I'm some kinda tough guy, but Tetse bites really didn't hurt that bad...annoying for sure, but Horse-Fly bites back home hurt 10x worse.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Commercial sprays are 0.5%. I buy a termiticide spray on Amazon called Permethrin SFR that is 36.8%, do the Math and dilute up about 10 gallons in a Rubbermaid and soak all my clothing before leaving. Dry well, and I just pack and start wearing them. There will be a slight odor before the first washing, and if it bothers you, wash them once after treating and drying. Also takes care of ticks, not an insubstantial benefit.
This is much cheaper, and I think more effective than sprays. A quart is $23.80 on Amazon right now.
Once I made the mistake of using a permethrin concentrate made for treating cattle. Everything smelled like kerosene.

Great tip Marty, are there any of these little buggers in Coutada 9? Headed there in September

thank you
Gale Johnson

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in C9 in 2015, and I don’t remember much of a fly problem. I was there in August.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Coutada 10 had no tsetse in Oct.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I bring the 100% deet I use in Alaska. Liquid to rub on expoded skin and spray for my clothing.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am one of those lucky people both mosquitoes and tse tse flies seem to avoid!

Sitting on teh truck next to anyone seems to attract them to them, leaving me well alone|

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Suck it up and take it like a man

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All good suggestions & let me add long trousers with the bottoms tucked into high boots, long sleeved shirts, avoid wearing blue or black & when you do get bitten zap the site wound (when possible & as soon as possible) with one of these type of things

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paing...scular/dp/B0056PRXOU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:

Great tip Marty, are there any of these little buggers in Coutada 9? Headed there in September

thank you
Gale Johnson

C9 Sept 2016. No tsetse issues. It was a very dry year.

Returning with Mokore to Sengwa in Sept 2019 - Any tsetse flies there?

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Do not wear dark blue. Light kaki or grey.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good advice! I will do as said! Milan I will bite the bullet for hunting but being prepared does not hurt!!

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some good tips here.I have a rendezvous with the tsetse in the coming late season.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
When they bite you, as they will, by the way - and may any and all chemicals be damned - you must not just smack them, as you would a mosquito.

You must hit them hard, with your open palm, and then grind and smear them, with the heel of your hand, with a pushing, twisting and wiping motion.

Then, although others will bite you, in their own good time, the one you killed won't bite you ever again.

With tse tse flies, deterrence only works one at a time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I still think DEET works the best and use the stronger variety. Permethrin in the clothes is a good idea. Wear long sleeves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't have Tet tse here in Aus but we do have some serious bugs nonetheless.

Not sure how this would work but I mix my own "home-brew" which is 90% baby oil to 10% Dettol by liquid volume.

Not pleasant to wear... but the protection it has provided me on the past, against stinging and biting bugs is awesome.

I'd be interested in someone trying it just to see if it does work on the dreaded Tet tse.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
recieved the Avon so soft today! getting ready!

diego

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend any sprays or Skin So Soft if the weather is really hot with no breeze. That stuff will do a number on wood stocks as well.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Why? Very agressive with skin?

diego

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
I wouldn't recommend any sprays or Skin So Soft if the weather is really hot with no breeze. That stuff will do a number on wood stocks as well.

Dunno what crap they add to those products but I discovered they don't agree with vinyl dashboards or steering wheels so make sure you wipe/wash your hands after use; if they melt plastic I doubt they are good on the skin.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Very agressive with skin?

I sweat a lot on hot days and the lotion mixed with heavy sweat on your hands and arms can be messy and annoying. Western Tanzania is probably the worst I've experienced for tsetse.

I've never experienced any skin problem using Deet or SSS.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dunno what crap they add to those products but I discovered they don't agree with vinyl dashboards or steering wheels so make sure you wipe/wash your hands after use; if they melt plastic I doubt they are good on the skin.

Another good reason not to use those products!