New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .404 on an Enfield Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just out of curiosity what is the going rate for enfield actions?

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 3 years ago I got a P14 down in Tulsa (missing a bolt stop) for $90. I've purchased a Winchester within the last year for $150 along with one barreled Remington action (the barrel's basically a tomato stake) for $225. I picked up another "bubba'd" Remington with a turned down barrel and a cutup military stock but the action was untouched for $250.

I just watched a Winchester barreled action go on on-line auction for $240 before the shipping/FFL charge. I've heard of them going as high as $300 and more in some cases where demand is high.

Some folks consider the Winchester the best while others think the Rem is best as it requires less work to "sporterize" and the Eddystone is considered the least desirable although there are plenty of good Eddystones out there. As such the Win's seem to be the most expensive followed closely by the Rem's. The Eddystone's don't seem to be as prevalent in action-only or barreled action config yet you see quite a few in military configuration.

Just a few thoughts on what I've seen and I keep a pretty close eye on these sorts of actions.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have access to an ocassional enfield or two. Most of the guns are in the 300 to 350 range. They have not been bubbaized and are still in military configuration. I had no idea what the going rate was. Just wanted to know if it would be worthwhile to pick one of these up as a project gun.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
this is what you want it to look like when you get done with it.

http://www.hallowellco.com/Echols%20Burgess%20416.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
for just the receveir, 50 to 75 bucks, for the action, 150 to 200,,, unless its perfectly left original... then 250 and up, as there is some collectors value.

these things are going to be somewhat like springfields, in the value is going to increase, just that there are far more of them made, p14, p17 than the springfields, and they are never as slick or pretty, in mil config, as the springfields.

these are a pain in the arse to make a nice rifle from, as compared to a sprinfield or mauser, yet will handle jsut about any sized round

jeffe

Posts: 39633 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, how long ago was that?
Some 20 odd years ago I spent several months in Sannieshof.
I worked for panduka safaries with issac barnard old Bvekenya's son. I dont remember the gunshop though?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The vet in sannieshof had a beautifull mauser 10.75x68 made by " a local builder" I wonder if that might be your fellow?
I remember the vet was a relative of Rommel, the desert fox. To long ago to remember his name though.
I expect Issac is gone too by now. I never kept in contact with him. He was a wealth of knowledge, but a real shit to work for. Part of which i'm sure was trying to live up to his famous/infamous father.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote