Notify
Tools

Great Rivers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Guests

I know this is not hunting BUT has anyone done any of the great rivers of Africa ///

Nile and or Zamezi or even the Niger or Congo !!! Proberbly the Congo has been out of bounds of late because of regional unrest BUT what about Nile and Zambezi ..

It would be a wonderful experice to say the least and would make an Africa adventure almost complete I would say one of those river trips would let any man go to his grave happy and contented

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years back, my (then) wife and I canoed the Zambezi from Mana Pools to the Mozambique border (almost). I would do it again in a heartbeat. Tons of birdwatching, lions at breakfast, dodging hippos on the water, sleeping under the stars (and a mosquito net), listening to a leopard "saw" away at night, watching you did not approach the river at the same place (assuming the crocs were watching you as well). Great trip.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The only great rivers I've been on are the Amazon and the Rio Negro, fishing for peacock bass. Too cool an experience!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The Zambezi from air, sea and land:

The Smoke that Thunders

The Zambezi from a boat:

On the banks:

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like fun, although I'd have to pass on the water elevator going down thing.....waterfall, that might be fun but not to experence first hand in a canoe.

wouldnt it be fun to do a float trip in Africa like the Alaska float trips.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Nice photo's Ann!

I like the river/falls air shots! I wish I could have gotten back to the Falls this year, seeing your photo's reminded me! Thank you!!

Enjoyed them

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its posts like this that make me glad I did not migrate.
Just to rub it in just spent the whole of last weekend in Siavonga that is the Zambian side of Kariba. Although man made is still a part of the Zambezi. beer

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Ann~
Counting down the days, 64 days until we see those sights. Thanks! Linda

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed hunting along a river. When I hunted at Chete with HHK we traveled up and down Lake Kariba by boat quite a bit. I know it's not Africa, but when I hunted water buffalo in the Northern Territory, we camped and traveled on the Koolatong river, it had great baramundi fishing. I hope to get back to Kariba some day and spend some time on one of the house boats there.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on a whitewater rafting day trip on the Zambezi in '89. I had to walk over the bridge at Vic Falls to the Zambian side to meet the group, where we had to hike to the bottom of the gorge. Big water / Big fun! Then we had to hike back to the top.

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, those photos are great. As always.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote