New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Citizen Lion Hunting Days Done ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Palmer's got nothing to do with it
Common Mike you know better than that
People just use whatever reason they need for their own selfish interests
It's unfortunate

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is naive to believe that Palmer did not play a role in this action. At a minimum it provided a convenient justification for the action. Now many will pay for the selfish actions of one. In that regard, I actually have no problem with the portion of the anticipated action dealing with denying an import permit to someone convicted or having pled guilty to federal or state wildlife violations.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
It's unfortunate

Cecil and Dr Palmer were the catalyst that got lion hunting into becoming the political football it has.

Tomorrow the Obama administration will lay out rules that I assume will put maximum pressure on Zim and Tanzania and maybe Zambia. No idea what they do on canned lion shooting. West Africa is done.

I feel bad for the lions in the conservancies - they are going to get shot - no one feeds lions buffalos, sable and other high dollar game.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
It is naive to believe that Palmer did not play a role in this action. At a minimum it provided a convenient justification for the action. Now many will pay for the selfish actions of one. In that regard, I actually have no problem with the portion of the anticipated action dealing with denying an import permit to someone convicted or having pled guilty to federal or state wildlife violations.

I bet we find out tomorrow - the import of lions will be dependent on underlying country's wildlife management programs. Same as what got the elephants from Zim and Tanzania off limit to US citizens.

Time has come to stop giving awards and trophies for killing animals and focus instead on scientific game management and hunting data.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
It's unfortunate

It is the PC Brigade on the march.

Do as I say, or else...! Mad

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Time has come to stop giving awards and trophies for killing animals and focus instead on scientific game management and hunting data.

Mike

tu2

Good hunting

Carl Frederik

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You see
There was no Cecil the Jumbo and Libs did it anyway
Nobody's perfect and Libs use that in every walk of life.
Look at all the regulatory agencies, I deal with them.
They are runaway train going 200 miles an hour and they don't need Palmer or Cecil
All I gotta say is " God damn Libs "

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just think...if SCI, TAHOA, and TPHA had adopted the "Definition of a huntable male lion"...they would have the worlds leading lion scientists on board validating hunting as the best sustainable conservation method.

Instead...we have them against us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear that, but Tanzania's program on lion is excellent. For them to say Tanzania doesn't make the grade, would be to ban importation to the U.S. period.

Posts: 10368 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pretty clear that substance and facts are not driving the conversation. That was true on the elephant trophy importation ban (at least insofar as Zimbabwe was concerned) and seems to be the case here as well.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I hear that, but Tanzania's program on lion is excellent. For them to say Tanzania doesn't make the grade, would be to ban importation to the U.S. period.

Lavaca,

From someone who knows...that is a bit of an overstatement. They were drug kicking and screaming to the party.

Along the way they alienated some key players...some of them are extremely influential with USF&W.

Had the players in statement above adopted that Definition...everything would have gone down different with USF&W...if you don't believe me...read it in Craig Packers new book.

I know...as I personally first authored the definition, put together the coalition, and brokered the deal.

My failure wa to bring the above players to the table...their adoption of the definition was key for USF&W.

Now with the 4(d) rule...USF&W can pretty much do as they please in regard to issuing import permits.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I'd like to hear more on this. Are you going to be at Dallas? Shoot me a PM.

Posts: 10368 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I will be there. And I will definitely tell you the tale. You can also go the the Legendary Adventures Booth (a fine Houston based company) and get the story from their CEO...George Hartley.

But I am afraid unless the right person gets elected POTUS...the deal is sealed and I will only be giving you a history lesson.

The Clinton Foundation is the muscle behind the ivory ban and they consider the lion a done deal with the 4(d) rule under the threatened listing.

But PM sent.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to talk to you Lane, but if a Dim gets elected, I'm seriously thinking about revoking my citizenship and leaving. No more taxes for the freeloaders hear.

Now what country?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/...on_FL_FAQs_Final.pdf

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

After reading this...Yep, it's done.

Who wants to be the first test cases for each country?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's hope Trump gets in.I think we should be putting our support behind him.If he loses you can expect more years of this and worse,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:

Jeff

Nobody paying $125K for a discretionary vacation.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jeff

+1

"Such management programs would be expected to address, but are not limited to: evaluating population levels and trends; the biological needs of the species; quotas; management practices; legal protection; local community involvement; and use of hunting fees for conservation. In evaluating these factors, the Service will work closely with the range countries and interested parties to obtain the best available scientific and commercial data. By allowing entry into the United States of P. l. melanochaita sport-hunted trophies from range countries that have scientifically based management programs, the range countries would be encouraged to adopt and financially support the sustainable management of lions that benefits both the species and local communities."

Translation: We have determined that our response to any management program submitted will be, "please bring us another rock". While you are free to submit any program you desire, rest assured that in the application of our subjective criteria that can only be reviewed by a court if we act arbitrarily and capriciously, once we finish fly specking the program our response will be "please bring us another rock".

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - I just can't even tell you how accurate Lane is!

Some of us "warned" about the consequences of hunting/conservation organizations not adopting the definition - it was honestly a monstrous mistake.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

+1

"Such management programs would be expected to address, but are not limited to: evaluating population levels and trends; the biological needs of the species; quotas; management practices; legal protection; local community involvement; and use of hunting fees for conservation. In evaluating these factors, the Service will work closely with the range countries and interested parties to obtain the best available scientific and commercial data. By allowing entry into the United States of P. l. melanochaita sport-hunted trophies from range countries that have scientifically based management programs, the range countries would be encouraged to adopt and financially support the sustainable management of lions that benefits both the species and local communities."

Translation: We have determined that our response to any management program submitted will be, "please bring us another rock". While you are free to submit any program you desire, rest assured that in the application of our subjective criteria that can only be reviewed by a court if we act arbitrarily and capriciously, once we finish fly specking the program our response will be "please bring us another rock".

Lions and other predators are nearly impossible to accurately survey and count.

How does one disputes someone's assertion there are 20k or 12k or 40k lions.

Elephants and buffalo can be counted with aerial surveys - not so easy with lions.

Just going back and forth with usfw will cost more in legal fees that a lion hunt.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

+1

We must...and I repeat must...elect a pro-hunting POTUS...or it is over.

Jeb ain't gonna cut it. Rubio ain't gonna cut it. Christie is a little of an unknown but might could be swayed. Trump and Cruz are the best bets...with Trump being the most likely to throw a wrench in the gears of USF&WS.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trump is a man of substance.See how he talks to the liberal bitches(friends of Hillary). rotflmo Puts them in place that's for sure.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote