Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nambian Plains Game
 Login/Join

posted
I have a trip for Namibia booked and it is fast approaching and I still do not have an idea of what I want to hunt. I want something less expensive but still a challenging fun hunt with a trophy I have to work for.

What is the best(most challenging), cheaper antelope to hunt in Namibia?

What is the best small antelope to hunt in Namibia?

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas, United States | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greetings. Namibia is of course the place for gemsbok. they are a great trophy and the most bang for the buck there. There are of course lots of other great animals to choose from. Gemsbok trophies are not only very good and plentifull but relatively inexpensive. Any hunt can be as challenging as you care to make it. Do you want to hunt on foot, out of a blind, or a vehicle? Long shots or short? What kind of stalks do you want? Anyway I am sure you get my point. Any animal can be whatever you want it to be in terms of difficulty depending on the limits you set for yourself. Most of all have fun and do it how you want to. Good luck and good hunting.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
For sure you want to shoot a gemsbok, warthog, and if available a springbok, kudu, eland, and hartebeest. Don't pass up a good duiker or blue/black wildebeest either.

You are there and the plane tickets are paid for. The trophy fees for the above are oh-by-the-way.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
To me, Namibia (Caprivi excluded) is oryx/gemsbok, kudu, springbok, mountain zebra and warthog...plus maybe a red hartebeest, duiker and jackal.

I think it is fair to say that these offer good bang for the buck, in particular when compared to South Africa, and can offer a rewarding hunting experience when done w/o excessive use of the huinting vehicle.

Eland, especially if tracked, would be the top of my list for a challenging hunt, but they are also a bit pricier then the others.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tracking an eland is as good as it gets.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My advice is to not have any fixed list, rather have in mind "the best animals you can hunt in the area you will be hunting". If the area you hunt has great kudu but less than great gemsbok, then go for the kudu. If the trophy quality of the springbok is mediocre in the area you hunt, be willing to drop it from your list and go for a red hartebeest. There's no magic formula and each ranch/area is different. And if you see a jackal, shoot it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Like Frank, I agree. Tracking Eland is about as much fun as you can have while plainsgame hunting.

I would budget for an Eland, even if you have to skimp on something else.

I love hunting Eland over any other plainsgame.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
You need to have a Gemsbok if your hunting Namibia. After that a warthog, and a kudu. I would round it out with a blue wildebeast, red hartebeast, and springbuck.
Have a great hunt. You're going to love it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia was my first and I had the most bang for my buck hunting Mountain Zebra.
I wished I had not passed up Klipspringers.
Just enjoy.

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
If you want a challenge and not expensive, try an Osterich in the Kalihari. The first one I had a shot at I was laughing and panting too hard to make the shot. Great fun, good tasting and the little woman likes the hide and the plumes. They also make a great pair of boots.

Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Nambia I found the gamsbok and red hartebeast to be some of the more plentiful animals and very enjoyable to hunt. Kudu were plentiful but a lot more challenging to find a good one, I would put that near the top of my list. But what was one of the more challenging hunts was a mountain zebra. It's not that you won't see plenty but if you actually spot and stalk them them (instead of shooting those by the road) it is a real challenge and the country they hang out in is beautiful.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
On the night before we went after Zebra in the Khomas Hockland (Namibia) our PH asked my hunting partner if he knew where to shoot a Zebra? This was my buddy's sixth safari so he said sure and discribed a heart/lung shot. The PH said No! Close to the road, they don't have handles. The next day we stalked two Zebra and drop them with one shot each. They each ran over a ridge and went down, unknown to us, about 15 yds. from a road. This was two seperate stalks. We got to stalk, the PH got his wish and my wife got her rug. Worked out kinda nice. Next day on Kudu not so lucky, had to build a road.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok, Mtn Zebra, Sprinbok

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogslayer- You will have the bonus of hunting in the only country in Africa I would consider driving around in(just did w/family) and , at least for now, a really nice connection through Frankfurt which avoids JBRG. Kudu, oryx, hartebeest, springbuck and eland seem to be best. Eland remind me of an 1800 lb whitetail- very tricky!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving for Namibia on September 5th for a 13 day plains game hunt. My trophy list includes greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartmann mountain Zebra, Warthog, red Hartebeest and Springbok. I may add Eland to the list if we see a good one.

HAVE A GREAT VACATION AND GOOD HUNTING.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok, Kalahari Springbok, Mountain Zebra are great Namibian trophies but I worked the hardest for my Red Hartebeest. It led us a merry chase for quite awhile and it's a trophy (and a memory) I'll cherish.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took eland, gemsbok, klippspringer, mountain zebra, springbok, and kudu when I went to Namibia. If I were to go back to Namibia for plains game I would be after a red hartebeest.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My favorite and most challanging animals were Oryx and Red Hartebeest.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving this Wednesday for Namibia. Will be hunting with Steve Tors, with Jan Oleofse Safaris. List is Kudu, Gemsbock, Mtn Zebra, Black Wildebeast. See what else pops up on the radar screen. Taking 375 H&H by American Hunting rifles, and a 300 Jarrett. Shooting 270 Gr North Forks with the 375 and 180 Gr N/F's out of the Jarrett. Preparation for first hunt is a lot of work, wish I had about three more weeks.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the best(most challenging), cheaper antelope to hunt in Namibia?

What is the best small antelope to hunt in Namibia?

Cheapest depends on the trophy fee scale charged by your outfitter. Most places, the springbok is the least expensive, along with the oryx (gemsbok). Both are highly worthwhile and, though abundant, are very challenging trophies to take. The fee for red hartebeest is usually pretty reasonable. Kudu, because of its popularity, can be overpriced some places.

But here's my advice: You will have paid a minimum of two or three thousand dollars for your airfare, will be likely be paying something north of $300 per day for your daily rate, and will have spent hundreds, if not thousands, on extra equipment like premium ammunition, a new set of binoculars, a new camera, etc. Don't cheat yourself out of some nice trophies for the sake of saving a few hundred dollars in trophy fees. If you amortize the cost of the hunt over the number of trophies you take, it will cost you much less for each of six or seven trophies than for just three. If money is a significant issue (and it is for 99% of us), then you won't get this chance again soon. Take advantage of it while you can.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote