THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Sport Hunting Safaris vs Photo Safaris in Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sport Hunting Safaris vs Photo Safaris in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PIERCE288
posted
I am trying to obtain some data on the revenues generated from Sport Hunting Safaris as opposed to Photo Safaris in Africa. I can’t seem to find anything on the internet concerning this. Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Illegitimi non carborundum

SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 159 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
A properly run photo lodge makes money. In addition to whatever other data you gather consider this;

Photo safari requires far less space than hunting safaris per person. However, $ of revenue/acre may rival, or exceed that of a hunting operation. Of course they will also run 12x-20x or more, people per year than a hunting safari to get this income.

Nothing wrong with that, but consider that the market will dictate the best use of a piece of property.

Many hunting areas are too darn ugly/thick/remote to ever be used for photo safari. Plus, as long as supply meets demand for photo safari, and no additional land is needed for photo safari, the other areas will be left to the next best use ... yes, that would be hunting.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this website...I think I may be the only hunter or very near it on this forum but I think I did see some stats from some of hte photog fellas.

http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showforum=69

Posts: 88 | Location: Mt. Wolf PA | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Jan Oelofse, who has both a hunting operation and a tourist lodge about two hours north of Windhoek in Namibia, told me last year that his annual profit from 50 hunters is considerably more than what he nets from 6,000 tourists.

I have heard similar stories from others who run both types of operations.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Tanz one of the people with whom I was dealing explained that the hunting safari business brought in considerably more money than the photo bugs. Further, their impact was much greater. Their hotels, which are all permanent, dwarf safari camps which are frequently temporary or semi-permanent. If you have been on a photo safari, I have, you find if someone finds a lion, it's on the radio and soon there are twenty vehicles each loaded with gawkers surrounding the hapless felines.

Fewer vehicles, fewer people, less disturbance to the animals, and more money left behind with hunters. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PIERCE288
posted Hide Post
Guys thank you for the info and pointing me in the right direction.

Illegitimi non carborundum

SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 159 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some folks who want to go on a "photo safari" to Africa. I will send them the link to "safaritalk". Does anyone have any other specific recommendations they can offer?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, the folks at fodors.com, the "TALK" forums have an Africa section and there is a wealth of information there for photo safaris.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

I should add that anyone that mentions they are going hunting on the Fodors forum will be tarred and feathered.

As far as specifics, it all depends on which country and how much they want to spend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cjw, thanks very much!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote