Find
Notify
Tools

N E 450 No2 - The real deal!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Watched Tony's two videos this weekend. At first I thought that shooting his first and a couple subsequent elephant with brain shots may have been luck.

But then he brained a bull to finish it that he had first knocked down with a heart shot, I was convinced this dude knew what he was doing. A perfectly placed shot. I was impressed!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19335 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
One thing is for sure, Tony hits whatever he aims at. Big Grin Just as Magilla the gorilla. Oh yeah, Magilla made the mistake of charging Tony. shame

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony's the real deal ...... & he knows his rifles ..... a good source for help with guns & hunting.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I was in a camp in Zimbabwe when the PH asked me if I knew Tony. I replied that I did. The PH "baited" me somewhat, asking if I thought Tony was, as you say, "The real deal".

I about laughed my butt off, because, when you first meet Tony, he is this little guy who always seems to be doing "bigger than life" stuff.... i.e., shooting his wife before he asked out her for the first date!

Then, you get to know the guy, and there is not one little piece of B.S. in him. He is one of the few guys who could stand up to Elmer Keith and say, "Hell, I was there, too!".

Tony is an intense fellow, a firearms expert in every sense of the word, funny as hell, a great story teller and I'm proud to call him my friend.

Back to the PH question... after I got through giggling and took a drink of my scotch, I allowed that Tony could have my 6 o'clock anytime. The PH so agreed... and we began to tell Tony stories into the night... like the one where he tells the jumper on the T.V. tower to hurry up and make up his mind because he'd already saved his life once 20 years before and he was too damned tired after climbing way the hell up there to argue with him.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7597 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

You would have been duly impressed if you had been at the DRSS hunt last August. The temperatures were over 100 degrees each day and the humidity was up. The boar were not moving in that heat, so the shooting window was very narrow on few hogs.

The coyotes were out, however, but even in the best of circumstances, they remain out of range for the most part. Now the coyote manual notes that 250 or more yards is the distance to stear clear of a hunter that they see. There is now a footnote.

Off hand with a double rifle, Tony puts both barrels into a 35 pound target - at 300 yards. One might say that a one hit was luck; but not two hits. He didn't really talk much about it, but everyone else did.

Not a better person anywhere to have your back. And not a whiff of BS in any of his stories.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hell, Will! You didn't need to see Tony's videos to know he's the real deal. All you have to do is get to know him.

I do real good to try to remember yesterday. Tony is one of those guys that remembers every shot where it hit and then writes it down in his hunting journal!

He's a wealth of information, great stories of hunts and his days as a swat sniper/instructor. Most of all a true gentleman in every sense of the word! He has a grand sense of humor and a love of life!

Damn proud to know him!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One thing about it, you always know if you are hunting with tony, if you miss,he will not!

..Old Hawyeye Magilla killa! That's Tony!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the late nights & the scotch with Tony,gonna miss him at the upcoming Brady hunt!

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I always have read his posts with great interest but I don't know much more so after reading this topic I am a little courious....who is Tony ???

If it can be know,if not I will understand..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony is 450 NE No.2 here at AR. And he is a fellow that is plenty willing to help if you've got a question and its in his baliwick. He sure helped me when I asked, out of the blue, and his advice was spot on, based on real experience.

I don't know Tony in person, but I hope that will change soon.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I do real good to try to remember yesterday.

Rusty,

You ain't the only one! By the time I'm home, with a pen in my hand I'm confusing last week's shots with yesterday's and today's somewhere along the line. It helps to write stuff like great (or poor) shots down ASAP, like as soon as you hiy camp, at least for me.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Tony is the real deal. I have known Tony for a few years, and he stops by my place in Idaho now and then for coffee, he shoots bear up here about every year...and he shot a gorilla in Dallas, Texas, now if that ain't the real deal I don't what is, and I don't know anyone else that has done that, Billy Ball came close several times but...Uh Tony? thats an inside joke folks. Smiler Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41994 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Which one's Tony?

Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I appreciate all the kind words.
I am humbled.

I really enjoy AR and I have made many friends, here on the web, and the several I have met in person.

I look foward to meeting many more of you.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Skip the baloney....where is my check? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19335 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote