New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Color Reticle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I plan on putting a Trijicon scope on a 458 Lott for use on dangerous game. Does anyone have a suggestion which colored reticle would be best. I see they have red, amber and I believe green available.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in amber and have no problem seeing it in all light conditions. However the green is brighter and more easily seen by most people. Red would be my last choice. FWIW.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Amber and green are the best in my experience.

For real low light shooting I give green the edge but when it's brighter amber is best.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Seems like we are all different , for hogs at or after dark I prefer red. For daylight I like green.
The amber is the least useful to me.
The lower the light I see the red better,tried the green, did not work as well for me.

There appears to be some suggestion that the center of visual field for each eye once thought to best see red wavelengths in all of us does show a preference to green or blue-green in some people.
Also, apparently, the rods( generally thought to account for low light vision) are not that red sensitive and infact are more blue green sensitive.
Also ,again, apparently, the rods are sensitive to infra-red which may affect our night vision, even for the worse by "over-stimulating the rods" (no sexual implication Wink )

In fact some studies now suggest red maybe more fatiguing over long periods.

What's it mean to your question bewildered -- borrow one before you buy and go experiment.

Or maybe some opthalmological night vision guru can chime in.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen both green, and amber are everywhere in nature. Green is everywhere when the bush is young foliage, vines, even tree bark on the fever tree. Amber is everywhere when the leafs turn in the dry, grass turns yellow, and lions are amber as well but red only exists where things are bleeding. On the Trijicon scopes the brightness is adjustable, and can be turned down so it is not so bright that it tires your eyes, and the red shows up on all animals except Cardinal birds!

However, everyone sees color differently, but I prefere red to the others, especially for Buffalo!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am changing the scope on my 458 Lott to a Trijicon with a green illuminated reticle. Previously used a Leupold VX-7, which is a great scope, but the reticle matches the color of a cape buff too well for my eyes.

I choose green illumation due to my experience with different archery stght pins. Green contrasts the best with game and background tints. Red, amber and yellow do not stand out as well.

I'm glad Trijicon now offers the green color.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge fan of the trijicon reticles. I did however look at them all to see what I think of them. I didn't think much of the green and amber reticles. I also didn't think much of the post. If I were to buy one it would be the German #4 with red. Red stands out much better and as Mac stated red isn't in nature, but green and amber are everywhere. In fact aside from white I couldn't think of a better color than red to stand out on a dark animal like a buffalo.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote