Find
Notify
Tools

Cameroon Outfitters LDE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear AR members,
I am seeking views, particularly of those who have primarily hunted LDE with either Mayo Oldiri and / or Faro East in Cameroon.
My homework to date suggests that one could probably confidently hunt with either and I see much similarity with both. Both seem very reputable. I am hoping by digging a little deeper with info gleaned from Ar experience I might learn what essentially separates the two at a basic level.
I know there are other Cameroon outfitters as well but only these two are of current interest.
One thing on which I place great importance is how confident one can be that trophies will actually arrive in the hunters country of residence.
PM's are welcome if anyone wishes to make private comments.
Thankyou

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Been there twice. Faro East and Faro West.

Who would be your PH in Faro East?

What about your PH at Mayo?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,
Discussions have not gone as far as PH's at this stage. Having no familiarity with either operator I don't know yet how their PH's rate. If you're suggesting certain individuals should be requested please name them if you don't mind. My general impression of African PH's is favourable from hunts in Zim and Namibia but to assume the same for the Cameroon equivalents is possibly naive......??

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hunted LDE with Safaris Chelet but did hunt bongo in Cameroon rain forest with Mayo. Mayo is a proven company. If I had my pick of PH's for the savannah I would ask for Guav Johnson or Mike Fell.

Have had friends hunt with Faro East and they were very successful and strongly recommend them.

Appears to be two excellent options...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Guav is great! BUT, if you go with Guav, you better be able to walk.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have a friend with major problems with mayo - not getting them resolved

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted twice in Cameroon. I've researched all of them and hunted with Mayo (ph was Mike Currie). The outfitter is the very least important decision. It is also important that you PH speaks English to talk to you and that he speaks French to talk to everyone else. Many PHs in Cameroon are at best English as a second language guys. Some do not speak French much if at all.

Most important is the area
Second Is the time of year.
Third is the PH
Last is the outfitter.

My advice is to discuss areas and timing with Mike Currie cameroonhunting@gmail.com or mike@mikecurrieadventures.co.za. Www.mikecurrieadventures.co.za
An English South African who also speaks fluent French and has hunted for years in CAR, and Cameroon for his favorite game, LDE.

You can PM me for more in depth info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a really nice chat with Mike Currie at the Denver sport show. He seems like a great guy and was very passionate about hunting in general and especially LDE in Cameroon. If he in fact is hunting one of your chosen area's I would definitely second the idea of getting in touch with him.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDE, done it twice - a fabulous hunt in central Africa. One every African hunter should do at least once!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guav Johnson with Mayo and second the comment you better have your walking shoes on.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Guav is a great guy, Mike Curry a great guy, Daniel Moore a great guy, Peter Wood who hunts in Faro East with me is also a great PH. I’ve personally been guiding in Faro East with NOA since 2013. You won’t go wrong with any of the guys I’ve named. Cheers

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I work hard enough and someday can go, it will be with Guav for sure. Walking and hunting Africa should go hand in hand.

Posts: 135 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcolyer:
Guav is great! BUT, if you go with Guav, you better be able to walk.

He takes out some of the best LDE I have seen.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Dear King,
Went to Cameroun in 2017 and shot LDE with Denise Rollinger of DR Safari, Mayo Oldiri is very well reputed in this region and you are in a safe hand, however, need you to know is how big area is and what kind of population of LDEs are there, LDE hunt is like an Elephant hunt as you have to walk alot to track them from slat lick area and to follow onward......it is most exciting and sought after trophy one should have.
IH

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Guav is a great guy, Mike Curry a great guy, Daniel Moore a great guy, Peter Wood who hunts in Faro East with me is also a great PH. I’ve personally been guiding in Faro East with NOA since 2013. You won’t go wrong with any of the guys I’ve named. Cheers

Been twice, love it. Hard hunt!
Listen to Thierry!

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If you are going to hunt LDE with anyone you better be able to walk... serious tracking hunt.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:

Thierry of course is being modest....I first hunted the CAR with him in 2007. If he's still guiding there too, he'd be a solid choice! He speaks fluent French, and is an excellent hunter.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Thankyou all very much for the comments and advice.
A 2020 adventure is booked. Awaiting final, final confirmation which should be just a formality.
As some have noted, I have some walking to look forward to.