New
Find
Notify
Tools

time of year
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently heard of some people who were unhappy with an outfitter I know. Their complaint lodged in the fact that they didn't see very much game. They had hunted the lowveld in zim in february when it was 106 f. outside. Well 4' high green grass and 106 degrees, it's no wonder they didn't see to much. The simple fact is that this was no time to hunting plains game in the lowveld in zimbabwe. I know the outfitter and know him to be honest and hard working, but there is nothing he can do when people come the wrong time of year. I see many posts on using this or that ph or outfitter, but seldomly do I see on on when to go where. With increasing hunting going on in africa, the good outfitters are booking up a year or even 2 in advance. They are businessmen and if you insist may accomodate you for a time when they really shouldn't, but you as the buyer should be aware that in different parts of the country you hunt different game different times of the year. Whew!! You must be a bit careful booking a hunt to know when, what, where, who, and why. I'm sure that if these people had looked into things that they would not have gone off hunting when they did, saving all involved time and money.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
This all depends on good communication. If the outfitter divulged that the hunting would be tougher due to greener and thicker foliage, lots of bugs, heat, humidity and lots of available water to the game then the client would have no complaint.

Often left over quotas are sold during these hot months at a discount. Again, you get what you pay for. And a hunt at that time of the year will present challenges. If someone specifically books that time frame due to cost savings then they must realize the hunting will be much harder.

I know when my outfits pass on hunts for those types of dates I make my clients aware of the difficulties and challenges they may encounter.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everytime I hear this high grass crap it galls me no end, that's where Buffalo live, thats where you hunt them for the most part, you can burn Tanzania to the ground, and the old boys will find the high grass that didn't burn, Zim is worse yet, so what!...thats where I hunt, thats where I want to be. As to tempature, when its hot and dry, the water holes dry up the plainsgame and buffalo come to existing water, the Lions and Leopard follow and you have the best hunting as the game is concentrated, but only if your tough enough and not some whining wimp, there I've said it and I ain't taking it back...If someone can't handle the heat, bugs, cold, high grass, steep mountains, hot desserts, cold and snow, and the worst mother nature can deliver then they should take up netting, get a rocking chair and kiss ole spot... sofa jump BTW that is when the season is open in Zimbabwe, its as hot as about any plac I have hunted, its dryer than a pop corn fart, and I have killed some damn nice Buff, Lion, Leopard there and I had to walk many hard miles and had many a parched mouth to do it...

Now if you get a bad concession and suffer all that for no reason, don't shoot anything, then you have a complaint..but I have noticed most hunters that kill good animals, have forgotten the hardships by the time they get home with those wonder fine pictures...

And thats the rest of the story.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote