Notify
Tools

TANZANIA RATES UP....OR NOT?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Judge,
At least it sounds like SafariKid isn't going after the things that threanten the biggest jumps in trophy fees: lion, leopard, and ele. He said, "I leave Sept 3rd for 4 Buff," so he doesn't have quite as much room for sticker shock as is possible.
I've been wondering how TGT would handle all of this. Not surprised they are offering to hold the line for this year. As you know, however, it's next year I'm worried about! Last week I was offered a chance to even move up my safari by a year and go in two months. If Victor wasn't tied into school this fall at UGA I just might have done it!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Take me! Take me!

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the Selous on a 7 day hunt. No changes on my fees. There was another guy in camp on a 21 day hunt.

We talked a little about the fee increase and I asked the other ph (on the 21 day hunt) what he was going to do.

His response: "we'll get up in the morning and go hunting."

I'll post a full trip report when I get over the jet lag.

Chris

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Judge,thanks for that all important info...Like Spring said though,I am only shooting 4 buff and maybe a few warthogs...As far as my trophies go,I dont need them as I have been there many times and "been there and done that"..Your right,thats where they could get someone as mentioned.I hope to go back next season to Mont Monduli or Gelai at 7-9000 feet to do some forest hunting in COOL conditons for more Buff!So,I will see what goes for next year....
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
Judge,
At least it sounds like SafariKid isn't going after the things that threanten the biggest jumps in trophy fees: lion, leopard, and ele. He said, "I leave Sept 3rd for 4 Buff," so he doesn't have quite as much room for sticker shock as is possible.
I've been wondering how TGT would handle all of this. Not surprised they are offering to hold the line for this year. As you know, however, it's next year I'm worried about! Last week I was offered a chance to even move up my safari by a year and go in two months. If Victor wasn't tied into school this fall at UGA I just might have done it!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
I hope to go back next season to Mont Monduli or Gelai at 7-9000 feet to do some forest hunting in COOL conditons for more Buff!So,I will see what goes for next year....

Speaking of Monduli Mountain, here are couple of pictures from there that you might enjoy:

Compared to the arid plains below, it's very lush up on the mountain

This is the actual mouth of the volcano from when Monduli was active

It's a bit wierd to be riding around in a rainforest high up on a mountian and see buffalo

Monduli Mountain from a distance--see how the top was blown off during an eruption?

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
WOW,Looks Fantastic,thanks for the pics! If you have more,please email them to me at Daqridude@aol.com as I am talking my girlfriend into coming too...Thanks! (Did you hunt buffalo?)

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic,
Your last pic is of Mt. Meru. That is 15,000 + feet a.s.l. Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Vic,
Your last pic is of Mt. Meru. That is 15,000 + feet a.s.l. Wink

Looking back on it you are certainly right. Of course the two are near each other and I need to label my pics better! That goes goes to show that the two years that have past since I was last there is just way too long and that next year won't get here soon enough. Thanks for the correction.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
John,
All statements by outfitters, agents, Don Causey, etc to that effect are based on a 1994 Consensus that was signed between the Stakeholders and the Game Dpt whereby a 9 months notice period by the Ministry to stakeholders needed to be observed with respect any price hike the Gov wished to make.

Legal advice taken by TAHOA indicate that based on this signed consensus, the Ministry has breeched this agrement when the issued the notice of price hikes and are therefore liable in court. Everyone's hope is riding on this one clause in the consensus and several other ones. A few more days will tell. TAHOA has exhausted every means, both politically and professionaly in attempting to reverse the Gov Notice. What remains is the High Court.
Bwanamich - Have you heard any updates? How are TAHOA's legal proceedings going? Thank you, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
TAHOA has postponed the filing of a court injunction until the outcome of the petition has been received. The word from the grapevine is that the Petition was read by the President and he has "asked" the Minister to resolve this in an amicable way for everyone. that is as much as i can say at this point.

As frustrating as all the uncertainty can be, there is not much else to do other than wait for the Minister to contact TAHOA for further discussion.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this for Paragraph 13.

Legislators want national economic outlook based on own resources

2007-08-11 10:42:21
By Pascal Shao, Dodoma

Legislators have advised the Planning, Economy and Empowerment ministry to put forth plans to transform the lives of the people using the resources the country is endowed with.

The MP for Same East (CCM) Anne Kilango Malecela said the ministry should be proud of its natural resources, particularly tanzanite, which is exclusively available in the country.

Kilango was contributing towards the budget of the Ministry of Planning, Economy and Empowerment on Thursday.

`There is no way we can transform the lives of the people without relying on our resources and be proud of them. Without transformation of the economy we are going to remain poor,`she said.

Malecela advised the country to put in place measures to control the exploitation of minerals while calling on the government to solicit loans to enable it build gem and minerals processing plants in the country.

`These are resources that can lift us from poverty to wealth,` said Malecela.

She also told the government to put to task those who embezzle its properties and urged the leaders of the country to have a nationalistic spirit by valuing its resources.

For his part, Kongwa legislator (CCM) Job Ndugai said that the government must have purposeful planning to empower Tanzanians by producing people who could work for their country instead of depending on foreigners.

Ndugai said that the country had minerals (gold) but was failing to produce enough qualified geologists to explore the deposits.

`We have all along been waiting for foreigners to tell us where there are minerals, thus determine their prices,` he said.

He said that was difficult to divide with them the benefits arising from the minerals equally. He also advised the government to prioritise science and technology including giving incentives.

Ndugai said that there must be transformation for a step forward towards development.

He further advised the government to increase hunting fees to further improve its kitty.

Kyela CCM legislator Dr Harrison Mwakyembe doubted the dollarisation in the economy saying the dollar had now become the legal tender by some government agencies like the Tanzania Revenue Authority.

`According to economists and finance experts, dollarisation comes in when there is inflation. However the Ministry of Planning Economy and Empowerment indicates that inflation is declining,` said Mwakyembe.

Dr. Mwakyembe also queried the number of foreigners working for NBC saying it had gone up from five in 2002 to 13 at present.

Responding to the obervations, Planning, Economy and Empowerment minister Juma Ngasongwa said that it was only a small fraction of the country where the dollar was used.

On the number of foreigners in NBC, Dr Ngasongwa said the bank?s Chief Executive Officer appealed to the Minister to give the experts more time to stay until December this year.

He also said that four people wanted to extend their stay in the country and admitted that the four were not experts.

The Prime Minister, Edward Lowassa intervening in the debate said the government would give a statement on the dolarisation of the economy.

`The issue of dolarisation in the economy has been debated in Parliament by many legislators. The minister concerned will give a statement in the House,` he said without specifying when.

SOURCE: Guardian

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got home from Selous this past Thursday. Increases are indeed in place and the companies are into the court system awaiting the ruling.
The company I used had 2 of the next 4 21 day safaris cancel when informed of the increases. One of the other insisted they were coming no matter what the increase and the other said they were coming for the hunt and if they don't get their trophies they are sueing the company for violateing the contract.
There was a 21 day hunter in camp when we got there and the owners agreed to give him his hunt and trophy fees at what he was originally quoted because they couldn't contact him prior to his leaving for the block.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I guess that pretty much sums up how the "contract" works on this sort of issue. It's all good - until something extraordinary comes along.

I hope they sort it out - I planned to go next year but will not if it's a lot more expensive, as it appears.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote