Find
Notify
Tools

Where to for big eland?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted
Missed out on eland on my last hunt and want to find a good place for trophy eland. Looking to Zimbabwe or Mozambique, 2015, a big place, 10-15 days with lots of area for walking and abundant plains game. Secondary sable, wildebeest...(?)

Suggestions? Thanks very much!

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a spiral horn hunter. I am also after a Livingston. I have the other 3 huntable eland. I went to Matetsi in 12 since I wanted to see Vic Falls and go fishing. I did a combo trip and hunted for eland and Chobe bushbuck. I got a great Chobe and a bull elephant but no eland due to HHK's screwup.

I will tell you what I'm thinking, is to book in wild Mozambique to combine it with honest free range Nyala and of course bushbuck. I looked at Zim but I've seen it already and I prefer to hunt wild land not farms or former farms (conservancies). I would not mind wild Zambia but the country is currently a typical African mess and they don't have wild Nyala.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Dead Eye i recommend northern mozambique for a Blue Bull Eland along with sable and a niassa wild beast.September to november being the best months.Most of the concessions in around the Niassa reserve are 250 000 hectares +.I am offerering a very good deal for your request.But there are some good operators like Kambako ,Calitz,Lipilichi and Luwire Safaris that would also be very good options.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Navaluk you cannot go wrong in Coutada 10,11,12 and 14.Again dates are important.Late september to november.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Is the niassa area still good for plains game? I have heard that the poachers have destroyed the elephant hunting over a short period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
Thanks for the replies. Is the niassa area still good for plains game? I have heard that the poachers have destroyed the elephant hunting over a short period.

Yes elephant poaching has been bad BUT I do not think all areas have been affected the same..Guy could probably update this. According to my reports all other game (Cats, buffalo and PG) good and getting better.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Yes elephant poaching has had a very big impact on the elephant in niassa.Poachers have targeted the elephant but plains game poaching is still very primitive.

The quality of elephant is not what it used to be.Instead of a 70 pounder + you can now expect a 50 pounder.

Plainsgame numbers are building up throughout the niassa concessions.

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Coutada 9/Mokore Safari

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down: The Selous is by far one of the very best place for Eland ! There are some very good Outfitts south of the Rufiji.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mboga,

Might want to narrow it down a bit.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guy Whittall:
Dead Eye i recommend northern mozambique for a Blue Bull Eland along with sable and a niassa wild beast.September to november being the best months.Most of the concessions in around the Niassa reserve are 250 000 hectares +.I am offerering a very good deal for your request.But there are some good operators like Kambako ,Calitz,Lipilichi and Luwire Safaris that would also be very good options.

+1

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Selous. Jeez ... the Eland that come from the Selous are super. Luke Samaras and Pasanisi have both been producing some super Eland.

I know there have been some good reports of Eland in Mozambique, in areas. Most plentiful has to be in the Kalahari, specifically Tholo Safaris area. Lots of Eland (Cape Eland).

If you want the experience of Eland hunting on a budget, maybe hunt 2 Eland, Tholo.

If you want big Eland and price isn't much of a concern, or you have a larger 21-day type list of animals, Selous.

I guess if I was doing this research, I would look hard at some of the good parts of Moz.

CAR or Cameroon of course, but that is a different Eland.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SCI Record Book is an excellent reference tool for establishing information of this nature.

Without having to consult it though, I have reasons to second Mboga in that the Selous in general is the venue for some very impressive Eland, impressive enough to have made it to top the list.

The only setback however is that one would require a 21 day license (full bag) to be able to hunt one and the best recommended period is September onwards when the old bulls rejoin the herds to mate.

As Wendell stated, LSS has some spectacular Eland in his areas.

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Big eland are found in many areas all over southern Africa. The only way to get one is to be there and I hope you have a fantastic journey getting there.

One of the outfits in Zimbabwe you can look at is John Hunt of Georgia Safaris

He hunts on private land from Bulawayo down to Gwanda and West Nicholson. Plenty of eland and a wide variety of plains game including sable, wildebeest, nyala, buffalo, kudu and many more.

Maybe he would be able to assist.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sone of the biggest Livingstone Eland I have seen was with John Hunt on Bishopstone in Southern Zimbabwe. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Mokore @ Coutada9!

One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Guy Whittall:

+1

+2

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
look at Saeeds reports each year, enough said..

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Having just hunted a great eland bull last September with Guy Whittall, I can recommend Guy's concessions in northern Mozambique, and Guy himself, very highly. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coutada 9 in Mozambique is an exceptional area for many spiral horned animals. September / October are the best months for the big bulls as this is at the beginning of the rut for eland. You will have plenty opportunity for big blue bulls, bushbuck ,kudu or nyala.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Why not for a Lord Derby eland. In any case,it'd surpass a Livingstone eland?
CAR is hectic but Cameroon is well organized. But no sable or wildbeast. A cheap roan can do? A big yellowbaked duiker? A red bull?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
80 derby eland females and 40 males are to be captured in the national parks of Faro and boudjida in Cameroon ...............to save the species from poaching.
Bullshit, the eland is well proliferating in North Cameroon.
It is suspected that " Derbian Game breedeers" of Dr Anton de Swardt, who is coordinating the operation, will make big money in setting them in the Limpopo area. Good news for not discerning trophy hunters.

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:
80 derby eland females and 40 males are to be captured in the national parks of Faro and boudjida in Cameroon ...............to save the species from poaching.
Bullshit, the eland is well proliferating in North Cameroon.
It is suspected that " Derbian Game breedeers" of Dr Anton de Swardt, who is coordinating the operation, will make big money in setting them in the Limpopo area. Good news for not discerning trophy hunters.

http://www.derbianusgame.co.za/breed.html

Posts: 17 | Location: Germany | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

This one came from the SAVE' with the help of that Labat guy.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
^^^
That's what I'm talking about right there!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Danke vielmals Hann

This presentation isn't inaccurate regards to eland in Senegal.
What I can't admit is :
"Following various field trips into Cameroon Central Africa Derbianus Game Breeders is convinced that the current estimation of the world population is severely overstated and that there is probably not more than 5000 Eastern Lord Derby Eland roaming free in the wild. "
When in the CAR, between 3 hunters we can see over 200 elands a day in the lower Kotto area.There is no access to 90% of CAR. Only 2 trails for our hunting area the size of half the Selous. That means that in this place roam more thab 2000 elands.

J B de Runz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:
quote:

Danke vielmals Hann

This presentation isn't inaccurate regards to eland in Senegal.
What I can't admit is :
"Following various field trips into Cameroon Central Africa Derbianus Game Breeders is convinced that the current estimation of the world population is severely overstated and that there is probably not more than 5000 Eastern Lord Derby Eland roaming free in the wild. "
When in the CAR, between 3 hunters we can see over 200 elands a day in the lower Kotto area.There is no access to 90% of CAR. Only 2 trails for our hunting area the size of half the Selous. That means that in this place roam more thab 2000 elands.

I have hunnted 4 times in Cameroun close to the Faro Parc.

We have seen Eland everyday. There are a lot, but the area is not as big as the selous.

The one I shot had a home-made poacher bullet under his skin...

Posts: 17 | Location: Germany | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I would have to second pegleg with the Save Conservancy recommendation. Try Leon DuPlessis @ Save Valley safaris, just saw him and he said they are absolutely crawling with monster eland. (775) 338-1078 stateside until tomorrow evening, or email leon@savesafaris.com

Pegleg, that is a toad of an eland, congrats to you and Thierry.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
These three bulls were taken literally 3 days in a row With Save Safaris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save Safaris Eland

Kanana Safaris Eland

Both have excellent eland.

I shot the wrong eland at Save Safaris - there was a massive old Blue Bull right in front and I shot the eland in the bush. Thus the eland is named Tito. At least one of trackers followed me after the shot as he was seeing the same Eland I was.

I love hunting eland.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
These three bulls were taken literally 3 days in a row With Save Safaris

That middle bull is a real madala! Three eland in three days? Was Leon wanting to have guru for dinner?

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The politically incorrect but right way to hunt eland is

(1) shoot eland as the first animal
(2) shoot a relatively young eland

Young eland - bigger horns - better for euro mounts I like.

But the main reason is it the best damn meat out there.

Why eat an old blue bull when you can eat a nice young bull. Also why pay a trophy fee and not have the meat to eat all thru your safari. Shoot an eland early and shot em young.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
The politically incorrect but right way to hunt eland is

(1) shoot eland as the first animal
(2) shoot a relatively young eland

Young eland - bigger horns - better for euro mounts I like.

But the main reason is it the best damn meat out there.

Why eat an old blue bull when you can eat a nice young bull. Also why pay a trophy fee and not have the meat to eat all thru your safari. Shoot an eland early and shot em young.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

+1 Mike
(all except for the guru - I'll pass on that)

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Mokore coutada 9 success times 2. Thanks AR, the Duckworths, and mark young. And my wife!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dead Eye.
Magnificent trophy.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Well done! Thanks for letting us assist you on this.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just look at the elands that Saeed has been shooting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mokore coutada 9 success times 2. Thanks AR, the Duckworths, and mark young. And my wife!

That's a lovely blue bull mate tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Magnificent. Looking at the hunt reports you cannot go wrong with the Duckworths.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Coutada 9 and Mokore.

Here are two from there:

And the BVC would also be a good place

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote