New
Find
Notify
Tools

trophies clearing customs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i'm new to the forums and must say this looks like an excellent info.outlet !

my question is can an individual clear his trophies thru customs themselves or must they use a broker ?

the cost seem outrageous to me as i paid approx. 750 bucks years ago.just to my estimation just involved a little paperwork.

this yea i'm expecting 3 safaris worth of animals in 1 shipment and i hate to think what that will cost.

thanks for any help !

my shipment will probably come thru seattle by ship.

posted Hide Post
Pigslayer it's not much of a problem if you do not have any pigs or primates. When shippment arrives I get a hold of US fish and Wild life and make arrangements to meet them at customs. USFAW will inspect trophy shipment before I get to customs. I pick up paper work at the shipper then take it to customs were I meet up with USFW and customs personnel, they then fill out their paper work. I get a copy that I take back to the shipper that shows I have cleared customs. The shipper loads crates into the back of my pickup and I head for home. It takes about 1 hour to get it all done in Portland Oregon.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Why if you don't have pigs or primates?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RWSmith is correct, it's a breeze here in Boston too.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
It isn't that hard to do, but you need to be close enough to the port of entry that you can get there in 24 hrs. If you don't the freight company will charge you storage 50-100.00 per day. You have to have a USDA approved facility to accept primates and swine, so if you have a warthog, bushpig or any kind of monkey or baboon they will not release the shipment to you.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks 4 quick responses !

i do have 7 warthogs,1 bushpig and 1 baboon included in ths shipment.

If u want missing trophies,stolen trophies,crap mounts or replacement minature trophies .....use KARL HUMAN TAXIDERMY in east london, south africa.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Man you like killing warthogs huh. Well done

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pigslayer:
thanks 4 quick responses !

i do have 7 warthogs,1 bushpig and 1 baboon included in ths shipment.

The USDA will inspect/bless those species at the first port of entry; you shouldn't have any trouble clearing at your port. At least I didn't and I had 3 warthogs in my shipment through Portland OR. You should call the USFW people as soon as you have the awb number, to give them a heads up so they can look at the shipment before you get there. And you will need a letter stating that the trophies are for your personal use and have no commercial value. Otherwise, the comml invoice from the taxidermy will trigger all sorts of problems esp. if it's over $2500. (Need to post a bond etc.). And some freight companies give you 3 days free storage.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote