THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Please help the ZPHGA to fight the lion and elephant ban.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help the ZPHGA to fight the lion and elephant ban.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association
MUKUVISI WOODLANDS COMPLEX TEL: +263-4-702402
HILLSIDE RD/ GLENARA AVE SOUTH EMAIL: zphga1@gmail.com
HARARE soaz1@mweb.co.zw
ZIMBABWE Website: www.soaz.net

Dear Hunter

RE: LION SUSPENSION AND ONGOING BATTLE AGAINST HUNTING

The closing of Lion imports has had a massive negative impact on Zimbabwe following the Elephant Suspension. Whilst the elephant ban was specific to Zimbabwe and Tanzania the lion "ban" now includes the whole of Africa. The urgency and importance of re-opening these animals is of paramount importance to the protection and survival of all our other wildlife not just the Elephant and Lion.
The contribution of those two key species to each areas budget, is by far the most significant. Losing these key species has a drastic impact on budgets for Anti-poaching and conservation projects (water projects, community projects etc), since operating expenses remain the same. The entire protection of our wildlife outside of protected areas is therefore under threat.
Further, if the USFWS can close these two key species until a “Non- detrimental finding” of hunting those animals are established, then what prevents them from doing the same for other key species, like Leopard, Hippo, Croc etc?
Zimbabwe has a very good argument in sustainable utilization, however it has been made clear to us that, the policy makers will only listen to researchers and scientists. ZPHGA therefore will undertake various measures to once and for all establish NDF’s on all key species within our borders.
Firstly we need to gather all information on Lion Hunting in Zimbabwe including the finances and contribution Lion hunting brings to conservation projects down to the last penny. This needs to be incorporated with the National management plan and NDF. A massive undertaking. Vernon Booth, a well-respected researcher has agreed to undertake this task. Zimbabwe established a Lion Management plan in 2013, so unlike Elephant, we are already 2 years down the road in getting our ducks in a row. There is still however much to do.
Secondly from the “Hunting Turnaround Strategy” workshop held in Harare in June 22/23rd, it was agreed that a workshop should be held on Elephant, Buffalo, Hippo, Croc, Leopard and Sable separately. And each key specie should have a National management plan.
Leopard will clearly be the next target by the Anti-hunting Lobbyists. A leopard workshop has already been approved by ZPWMA for March 2016. We need to anticipate the next move of the antis and be able to justify hunting as we all know, is key to the African wildlife.
Zimbabwe has had a tremendous amount of pressure on its wildlife in the past 16 years, yet somehow we have managed with so few stakeholders, to keep the core together. However, this new threat is external and more dangerous than what we have ever experienced. The future of our wildlife, habitat and ecosystems is now in the hands of foreign forces or airlines. The only way ZPHGA will succeed is with help. But succeed we must.
We need to contract researches to do the studies. We need a CEO for at least 2 years to co-ordinate the workload as we are currently run by volunteers and there simply is too much to handle. We need him/her to lobby ZPWMA, USFWS and the airlines.
However, to do this takes money. Simple.
We simply now need to find the funds to move forward. We know what needs to be done.
Therefore ZPHGA’s initial goal is to raise a minimum of $300,000 to ensure we can achieve our goal and maintain this research and program for 3 years. We ask every PH, Operator in Zimbabwe to contribute however you can. We ask every hunter that is passionate about Hunting these African animals, or passionate about Zimbabwe or just simply a conservationist to contribute.
John Jackson from Conservation Force has agreed to accept and administer the funds. Contributions can be made out to Conservation Force with a memo attached: To ZPHGA
Mailing address: Bank wiring instructions:
Conservation Force Conservation Force Trust Account Chase Bank
P.O. Box 278 Routing :065400137
Metairie, LA 70004-0278 Account:3356656800

By doing so, funds can be tax deducted in the USA. Zimbabweans can donate to the ZPHGA office in Harare.
A set of accounts would be drafted by December of each year to account of money utilized during the year. This would be done by the finance committee of ZPHGA and approved by the executive committee. This report will be sent to Conservation Force and sent to donors.
By doing this initiative, ZPHGA will hopefully produce a blue print of what needs to be done and how to do it, for the rest of Africa to follow suite, so whilst these funds are predominantly for the Zimbabwe situation they will have a positive impact on the rest of Africa as well.

If we do not succeed, it will be the end of our wildlife.
For any further details please do not hesitate to contact me.

On behalf of Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association

Yours Truly
L. Muller
Chairman Z.P.H.G.A

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please fellow hunters, any donations big or small will be much appreciated in our fight to keep what is close to our hearts. The wildlife and the wonderful areas we all love to hunt.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Hi Neil
Have you guys approached PHASA to get a united front on this. I know we in conjunction with conservation force are busy with a NDF policy for lion , leopard, bontebok and blue duiker currently.

United we can try get DSC an SCI to help with funding for something that affects us all.
Regards

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil - Thanks for posting, and I as an individual will send a donation personally. I always try to help issues like this where/when I can.

My question is this - 2 years ago SCI raised $1million for the "Lion" at their annual convention. To my knowledge, most of that money was not disseminated to projects as of yet. Has anyone gone to SCI, asking them to fund said project? Seems to me they could fund it fully - with the stroke of a pen? Perhaps others with more info on this could weigh in as well?

Good luck, and I hope all comes right for Zimbabwe and Zim's wildlife future.

Regards,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
now there is a shocker. SCI raised money for lion conservation- and hasn't spent it in 2 years......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Neil - Thanks for posting, and I as an individual will send a donation personally. I always try to help issues like this where/when I can.

My question is this - 2 years ago SCI raised $1million for the "Lion" at their annual convention. To my knowledge, most of that money was not disseminated to projects as of yet. Has anyone gone to SCI, asking them to fund said project? Seems to me they could fund it fully - with the stroke of a pen? Perhaps others with more info on this could weigh in as well?

Good luck, and I hope all comes right for Zimbabwe and Zim's wildlife future.

Regards,
I don't know about the lion money specifically - but I just sent a question to SCIF asking how they can assist.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where Louis is? Tell him to get onto my email I sent him!! Wink

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave and Aaron
I will pass both these comments onto our chairman. I am not up to date enough on what SCI do with all the donor funds. The funding we are applying for will go to our own organisation to try have a well oiled machine that handles all aspects revolving around research necessary to prove hunting is helping wildlife in Zimbabwe. Aaron thank you very much for donating to our wildlife.

posted Hide Post
Aaron, thanks for the support. Matt Eckart at SCI has pledged some of the Lion fund towards this providing the board approves. However the funds we are hoping to raise from them will be for Lion specifically. ZPHGA are looking at tackling a broader problem. the relentless attack on hunting. Leopard will most likely be next. So Zimbabwe now have a Workshop scheduled for 7/8Th March. we are hoping to try do Hippo and Croc towards the end of the year. these are Cities animals and Hippo is already closed in Mozambique. So there is more than just Lion we need to address. The comment on PHASA, we do work with PHASA wherever we can but Wildlife management in Zimbabwe is completely different as to South Africa and should therefore be approached differently. So these projects take time and $ and we simply don't have either to give this the necessary attention. so we need to hire consultants. Hence why we are asking everyone that cares to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all hope for support and that the funds required can be received. For those of us dependent on Key species like Leopard and Elephant being the majority beside Lion , why can't some of the guys in Zim donate proceeds from their hunts to this cause ? I personally donated a Leopard hunt to SCI this year and would like to believe that most of the proceeds will go towards a needy cause as this is .

I am sure there are plenty hunters out there that could raise these funds given the chance . One would need to organize fund raisers etc in different hunt clubs / conservation clubs or organizations to that effect . I am sure that when Cecil hit the media there was plenty fund raising to the tune of several hundred thousands or millions I am told to help protect the Lion and such in "Cecil's Park "and elsewhere.

I think this effort is great Louie and hope that the support comes in time .

It is true that quota's have been cut yet the amount of money spent in anti poaching stays the same or increases, but sooner than later it will not be possible to keep on employing and funding to protect areas with very little Leopard quota or where we can not sell Elephant as it just wont be feasible anymore . For arguments sake I tried to sell Elephant at SCI for US$18 K all inclusive . I did not manage to sell even 1. So I have this quota in hand and I have to still pump water in various areas , pay staff to look after empty camps provide provisions for scouts etc etc it all adds up but if we can't market them or get this ban lifted whats the use ??

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS

Posts: 108 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 03 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent money today specifically earmarked for the lions and also a general contribution.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil,

I have a deposit with you for my former lion hunt. Please direct 10% of my deposit into this effort.

Thanks

Jeff Sevor

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
A few good men.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
A few good men.

Exactly - these guys here on AR, are the best!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff, thanks for this kind donation. We will get this sent to the ZPHGA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mailed my donation. Anyone that cares about hunting needs to get behind this with their pocketbooks.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
now there is a shocker. SCI raised money for lion conservation- and hasn't spent it in 2 years......

Agreed and surely they can fund this? Does not only apply to Zimbabwe.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Agreed and surely they can fund this? Does not only apply to Zimbabwe.
Well I have posted here, emailed and messaged to say that I would help get SCI funding but no response, nothing. Not even a message to say - "thanks Matt, we've got it covered".

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea.

Can anyone advise:

1. Where is the best place to send a donation where it will actually get used wisely for this cause?
2. What assurance do I have that it will not be pissed way in the usual way?
3. Is there a business/project plan in place with some organization?
4. Who could I contact to discuss this?

Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3351 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went on the ZPHGA website and was shocked to see that their opening, most recent statement in their category of "News" was posted for 2009.

Does that seen to you guys like they are well organized group of movers and shakers, poised to take my donation and put it into direct and immediate action for this cause in their country?

What am I missing here?

Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3351 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Brian

Please can you go to the correct site which is zphga.org

Sorry that you googled a old site that should be removed .

The site I have given you is new and well updated , please visit this website and your much needed donation will be greatly appreciated and used in the correct manner and form to assist in our pledge for hunting to not only last but improve .

Thank you Brian

Regards

Wayne Van Den Bergh

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I have been on the site and it is very well presented.

zphga.org

Please go there .

Thank you

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry and Jeff- well done and thanks indeed for the donation to a vitally important cause. There is no doubt that unless we are proactive we will loose the battle against the antis and our only chance is if we can present FACTS from qualified sources. These can be used not only to fight the growing tide of Anti hunters however more importantly it can be used in court against US f/W should they make a decision that closes hunting.

On a personal Level Louis I am happy to make a donation let me know where I can drop it off. Likewise an auctioned hunt as Wayne mentioned is a good idea and CMS would also be willing to discuss donating one for this good cause. Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne, Thanks for the correction. I should have looked further. I found your correct website. Very good job. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could only afford a small donation, but I sent it in yesterday. Keep up the good work, guys! And thanks!

Posts: 570 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm all for bashing SCI when it's warrented but there is a fact sheet on their website that breaks down where money is being spent.

I can't say the million they raised at their show is this money but from 2011-2015 they've spent over a million on lion projects.

Take a look yourself: https://www.safariclub.org/doc...-points.pdf?sfvrsn=0

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not sure five line items of detail constitutes transparency. How about identifying the specific research initiatives, the specific lion research efforts funded, the specific anti-poaching initiatives funded, etc. What is wrong with a little transparency . . . after all, they say transparency is the best disinfectant.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WRITTEN DECLARATION
submitted under Rule 136 of the Rules of Procedure
on trophy hunting
Neena Gill (S&D), Catherine Bearder (ALDE), Sirpa Pietikäinen (PPE), Kathleen Van Brempt (S&D), Eva Kaili (S&D), Stefan Eck (GUE/NGL), Miriam Dalli (S&D), Seb Dance (S&D) Jonás Fernández (S&D), Victor Negrescu (S&D), Bart Staes (Verts/ALE), Igor Šoltes (Verts/ALE)
Lapse date: 18.4.2016
PE575.704v01-00 2/2 DC\1083081EN.doc
EN
0003/2016
Written declaration, under Rule 136 of Parliament’s Rules of Procedure, on trophy hunting1
1. Earth has entered its sixth mass extinction phase, with animals now dying out at 100 times the normal rate. Estimates of the current rate of extinction range from 500 to 36 000 species per year.
2. This extinction crisis is caused primarily by human activities. Trophy hunting contributes to the loss of iconic species, and claims that proceeds from trophy hunting benefit conservation and local communities have been debunked by scientists.
3. The EU is a major source of trophy hunters, and a frequent destination for trophies. Between 2004 and 2013, over 27 000 trophies originating from Africa and America were imported into Europe. Clearly the current rules are insufficient and inadequately applied.
4. For permits to be issued, the authorities have to determine that the hunt was not detrimental to populations of any of the species listed in Annex B to the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations, and that it benefited the conservation of Annex A species. This is rarely adequately determined.
5. The Council and the Commission are called upon to examine the possibility of restricting all trophy imports, to ensure proper implementation of the rules by Member States, and to persuade countries that are issuing permits to trophy hunters without due consideration for the impacts of trophy hunting on conservation and animal welfare to discontinue this practice.
6. This declaration, together with the names of the signatories, is forwarded to the Council and the Commission.

This is a current push to try ban all imports of trophies into the EU. Just one of many issues being challenged by the likes of SCI ,DSC etc. The same applies for the ZPHGA who needs the funding to get as much scientific documentation required to fight the misinformed greenies. Obviously money is required to do this. Thanks again to all those who have donated so far to this cause.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Not sure five line items of detail constitutes transparency. How about identifying the specific research initiatives, the specific lion research efforts funded, the specific anti-poaching initiatives funded, etc. What is wrong with a little transparency . . . after all, they say transparency is the best disinfectant.

Mike, I completely agree with you. I think that would be the perfect situation but in my eyes, these 5 lines are better than nothing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Duckworth:
WRITTEN DECLARATION
submitted under Rule 136 of the Rules of Procedure
on trophy hunting
Neena Gill (S&D), Catherine Bearder (ALDE), Sirpa Pietikäinen (PPE), Kathleen Van Brempt (S&D), Eva Kaili (S&D), Stefan Eck (GUE/NGL), Miriam Dalli (S&D), Seb Dance (S&D) Jonás Fernández (S&D), Victor Negrescu (S&D), Bart Staes (Verts/ALE), Igor Šoltes (Verts/ALE)
Lapse date: 18.4.2016
PE575.704v01-00 2/2 DC\1083081EN.doc
EN
0003/2016
Written declaration, under Rule 136 of Parliament’s Rules of Procedure, on trophy hunting1
1. Earth has entered its sixth mass extinction phase, with animals now dying out at 100 times the normal rate. Estimates of the current rate of extinction range from 500 to 36 000 species per year.
2. This extinction crisis is caused primarily by human activities. Trophy hunting contributes to the loss of iconic species, and claims that proceeds from trophy hunting benefit conservation and local communities have been debunked by scientists.
3. The EU is a major source of trophy hunters, and a frequent destination for trophies. Between 2004 and 2013, over 27 000 trophies originating from Africa and America were imported into Europe. Clearly the current rules are insufficient and inadequately applied.
4. For permits to be issued, the authorities have to determine that the hunt was not detrimental to populations of any of the species listed in Annex B to the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations, and that it benefited the conservation of Annex A species. This is rarely adequately determined.
5. The Council and the Commission are called upon to examine the possibility of restricting all trophy imports, to ensure proper implementation of the rules by Member States, and to persuade countries that are issuing permits to trophy hunters without due consideration for the impacts of trophy hunting on conservation and animal welfare to discontinue this practice.
6. This declaration, together with the names of the signatories, is forwarded to the Council and the Commission.

This is a current push to try ban all imports of trophies into the EU. Just one of many issues being challenged by the likes of SCI ,DSC etc. The same applies for the ZPHGA who needs the funding to get as much scientific documentation required to fight the misinformed greenies. Obviously money is required to do this. Thanks again to all those who have donated so far to this cause.

The EU has led the anti-hunting charge for years, so no surprise here! Shameful, utterly shameful! Africa's wildlife continues to get kick in the balls, by those who claim to be trying to save them. The only thing they are doing is "saving them to death"!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You REALLY need a 'Zimbabwe Hunting' Wikipedia page - so that all the conservation projects and other good info can be noted and exposed to the public and media.

There is NOTHING on Wiki at the moment that I can see.... And it cost nothing but a bit of labor and time.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only dedicated pages I could find was for Campfire and the Zim PWMA. Nothing for BVC, SVC ...

Oh - there is the "Killing of Cecil The Lion" page though. Roll Eyes

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt
Thank you for your advice. This is part of what the ZPHGA is trying to achieve by getting more organised and then use all this to deliver the facts as and when needed to keep the banning of trophy imports etc at bay. To do this though requires funding of some sort hence the above request. Most outfitters are donating what they can but it is not enough to fight the bigger global problem created by international anti hunting organisations.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
donated...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
How about our local SCI chapters? How many of us are officers or on the BODs? Persuade your chapter to donate at least something. $1000 from a chapter is not much in the scheme of things.

One of Us
Picture of Lin Stanton
posted Hide Post
Hi All
We still looking for support for our association. Any contribution will be appreciated.i will personally donate $200 and hope others will do the same. This will help the future of hunting in AFRICA not just Zimbabwe.

Lin Stanton
Email: lindon@mbalabalasafaris.com
www.mbalabalasafaris.com

Posts: 134 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lin Stanton:
Hi All
We still looking for support for our association. Any contribution will be appreciated.i will personally donate $200 and hope others will do the same. This will help the future of hunting in AFRICA not just Zimbabwe.
Setup a 'Go Fund Me' campaign or similar and a Facebook page and we will promote it for you (ZPHGA) on social media.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZPHGA. I'm curious.

Has anyone sent the ZPHGA an email to ask for a summary of their action plan for anti-poaching/conservation for 2016 before sending them any money?

I did two weeks ago and got no response.

Had anyone asked them why they use the wrong word ( "objection" instead of "objective" ) in the first sentence of the front page of their website?

Has anyone actually looked through their website and found it as dormant as I have?

Another question occurs to me:

Of the millions of dollars that went from North American hunters pockets to Zimbabwean infrastructure for trophy fees and the hunting industry, has any of it actually found it's way into anti-poaching, resource management and conservation ?

I'm just curious.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
ZPHGA. I'm curious.

Has anyone sent the ZPHGA an email to ask for a summary of their action plan for anti-poaching/conservation for 2016 before sending them any money?

I was satisfied with the summary plan listed by Neil in the original post. Also after donating money I received an email from the chairman of ZPHGA thanking me, so if you are insinuating they are a ghost organization you are sadly mistaken.

Had anyone asked them why they use the wrong word ( "objection" instead of "objective" ) in the first sentence of the front page of their website?

I really have much better things to do in my life than worry about a typo on a hunting website. Maybe in between fighting poaching, running a business, spending days in the field, and volunteering time to ZPHGA somebody will look in to this grave error.

Has anyone actually looked through their website and found it as dormant as I have?

I do not find it "dormant", as most websites especially ones out of Zimbabwe it is not updated on a daily basis. If you want more current information click on the Facebook link.

Another question occurs to me:

Of the millions of dollars that went from North American hunters pockets to Zimbabwean infrastructure for trophy fees and the hunting industry, has any of it actually found it's way into anti-poaching, resource management and conservation ?

I'm just curious.

I am just curious if you are an anti-hunter? That is the type of question asked by a PETA or HSUS member. I have personally seen on multiple occasions the positive effects of hunter's money in Zimbabwe. Areas with hunting and good Zim operators have plenty of game. Areas without hunting and piss poor hunting management are barren. I spend my money there with good operators without hesitation. In reality, nearly all the money spent by hunters goes back in to the hunting area in one form or another. On top of that some of these guys have even paid with their lives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Mike. I am an avid life-long hunter and have hunted in Africa. six times.
I have a feeling that I may not have done a good job of making my point and may be generating some misunderstanding.

Please have a look at the ZPHGA website and tell me what you think. I looks to me like an empty shell. Just my opinion and I know that I will catch hell for it.

Where do you think would be the most effective organization in Zimbabwe to make a contribution to anti-poaching etc.?

I do not mean to belittle the effort and sacrifices being made already.

I was going to send a donation to ZPHGA so I did some due diligence to see if I would be sending my small contribution to a productive organization and was not impressed so far with the "store front" of that particular organization. (If they can't answer my simple email question how would the actually send me a receipt and use a donation wisely.)

I believe that hunting operators are the strongest and most focused force in conservation in Southern Africa.

The conservation situation Zin imbabwe is in a mess, I'm told, and I realize that it is not because of hunter but is in spite of hunters.

(I wonder if "nearly all the money spent by hunters goes back into the hunting areas..." I am very sceptical about how the government uses the license proceeds/fees. Doing some math I find that the trophy/license end of it is huge. Just my opinion. I am not an anti-hunter. )