New
Find
Notify
Tools

.404 for plains game.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After several trips to Africa, I would now like to go for DG, but only want to take one rifle. Now I know everybody says that the .375 is the best all rounder but I would like a rifle with more than enough power to do the lot (buff and ele), is it practical to use a .40 calibre for plains game as well as DG. Looking at the ballistics of the .404 it isn't too disimilar from the .375 plus I quite like the CZ safari classic in .404 Jeffrey.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
From one Brit to Another welcome to the forum. I have a .404 that I use as a loaner to clients and it's shot everything from duiker to cats to Elephants without any problems and every client that has ever shot it has loved it to bits......... You have to appreciate that ammo isn't as easy to get hold of here in Africa as 375 ammo, but other than that, I'd say it's a very good choice. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sure is practical to use a .40 caliber on plains game. I’ve used my .404 on a large variety of PG, from blesbok to eland.

My rifle is fitted with a ghost ring for DG and QDM with a 3 – 9 Leupold for PG. The scope is zeroed 200 yards, so I’m good out to 250 yards.
I guess some would argue that the 416’s would be more versatile, and they may be right, but I can only shoot a half decent shot out to about 250 yards in a hunting situation. It would thus not make much sense for me to have a gun capable of more than my limitation.

In a one gun battery a .404 will serve with distinction.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this, I had pretty much made up my mind already, at the end of the day most of the shots on PG is made under 200yds anyhow, I personally would not like to take a shot at 300yds+ on safari as it defeats the object of the hunting/stalking.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ in 404 jeffery. I am very satisified with it. I'm sure it would suit your purposes. I would second Shakari's point about ammo being hard to get. I had to start reloading as factory 404 is almost impossible to find in the States. It may also be rare in your neighborhood.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I took only my 404j in 04 for buffalo & shot Waterbuck, Reedbuck & bushbuck. If you can get some 340grNFs or even 350grWoodleighs @ 2600fps, they'll fly a bit flatter out to 300yds, making it a reasonable plainsgame rig. You can of course just get closer. I am good to 200yds+ w/ my 380gr @ 2250fps, sighted dead on @ 100yds, & will probably just take it this fall to the Caprivi.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the last number of years I have shot all my plainsgame with a 416 or 404 or 375 H&H or some big bore bolt or double rifle, they work fine, mostly as a matter of fact with the 404 Jefferys for what thats worth...

A big bore is a good idea in DG country as you could run into a Lion, buffalo or Elephant that had a bad night or got a foot in a snare and a .243 plainsgame rifle would give you a bad case of the chillbains or even worse a horn up the old keyster... salute

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like someone had worked up a load with 4831 powder @ around 2150 fps. Did I dream this or does someone have a load figured out with the Barnes X??? Thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 72.2 grains of IMR 4064 and got 2185 fps with wooodleighs. I didn't measure the groups, but it hit what I aimed at, where I aimed. Put it down too.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It better work as my 404 is headed over for numerous dangerous and PG in a few weeks. Might be a little heavy for some PG, but it won't damage meat as much as a smaller, faster caliber/bullet combo.
A-Frames and Wood solids at 2280 fps.....shooting to the same POA at 100 yards.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote