Find
Notify
Tools

12 Step Program for Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
Oh boy, I got it bad. It started with the reminicing over the photos and the hippo hunt I described above....

Some days are worse than others. Today the weather has cooled off a bit. I can smell a faint bit of smoke from the brushfires in the hills nearby, and next thing you know, I'm staring out the window, put my phone on "do not disturb" and log onto AR...

There really has to be a 12 step program for this! We're talking about going back in July 06, and I keep thinking how far away that is, and how 05, just might be doable. Even that cursed Aircuss wouldn't be so bad, if I could just ensure I got the right seat assignment...maybe if I check in 12 hours ahead?

Step one: Admit you have a problem.

Step Two: Take a complete inventory of all your African stuff, making sure to look through the sights/scope of all DGR's etc...and look at pictures in each book. Wipe dust from mounts, smooth hair, clean horns and eyeballs....

Step Three-12????

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya bro.

I feel like I have a disease and have trouble admitting same to those that will not understand. This forum is my group therapy.

I am already past step ?? -- you know, the one where you have to apologize to everyone that you may have harmed with your addiction. I thank God that I have an understanding woman. She is going without a lot to allow me to pursue my dreams, and will be for a while yet.

I haven't apologized to my employer quite yet. Don't want them to take notice of my time on this site!! They'd never believe I make it up after hours!!!!!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're already way ahead of me! I'm still in denial, but am ready to spend some $$ on a DGR...I bought my 12ga years ago, before I even know I would ever get invited to a duck hunt, I bought my 9.3x62 when hunting anything bigger than a hare was still a dream. My "sheep rifle", the .300WM I purchased on an impuls when I was still living 15 feet below sea level. Since then I've hunted all sorts of small critters, killed roe and red deer, wild boar, and hunted whitetail and mule deer, black bear and even bighorn sheep!

I strongly believe that in my case buying the appropriate rifle is the first step. An order for *something big* will go out shortly, so look out Africa, I'm on my way

To put things into perspective, between purchase of the .300WM and the first attempts at sheep hunting roughly ten years have passed

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I strongly believe that in my case buying the appropriate rifle is the first step. An order for *something big* will go out shortly, so look out Africa, I'm on my way Frans

Frans,

I used to do the same thing. I mean once you have the gun, you simply MUST go use it!

I however have moved to the next level. I am sitting here AT WORK, with a box of Kynoch .470 NE bullets as a paperweight!

If you have the ammo, then.....

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a 470 Mbogo cartridge on my keychain, which I carry in my pants pocket of course. Had to quit when a few people were wondering if I was a little too happy to see them.

I still have it in my desk though!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote