Tools

Please Explain To Me OWN USE hunts!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
What does that mean??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different definitions based on country. In Namibia "Own Use" translates to Conservancy meat quota. Each conservancy is granted both trophy quality quota along with Own Use quota.

Due to the extended drought in Namibia, "Own Use" has been suspended in many areas or greatly reduced.

It was never really intended as a revenue generator for the Conservancy, however, many use Own Use as another way to sell trophy animals. From a game conservation point of view the practice of shooting trophy quality animals for meat quotas destroys the genetics for the area, but most operators and Conservancies are not real concerned about the future, only what they can put in their pocket today.

Same goes with "problem animal" hunts. It's just another bullshit way to shoot trophy animals above the quota. I constantly see operators selling Problem Animal hunts at the beginning of the season. They know how easy it is to obtain permission from MET to shoot more animals. $$$

The easiest way to stop meat and problem animal hunts is to add a premium cost on operators who conduct these hunts and then mandate that 100% of the trophy fee is sent to the Conservancy. We do it on all our client hunts. If you want to shoot meat or a problem animal for the community, great, but the operator does not profit from these hunts - every cent and ounce goes to the community. Oh, and if you just happen to shoot the wrong problem animal, the fine should start at $15,000. The bullshit will stop instantly.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Different definitions based on country. In Namibia "Own Use" translates to Conservancy meat quota. Each conservancy is granted both trophy quality quota along with Own Use quota.

Due to the extended drought in Namibia, "Own Use" has been suspended in many areas or greatly reduced.

It was never really intended as a revenue generator for the Conservancy, however, many use Own Use as another way to sell trophy animals. From a game conservation point of view the practice of shooting trophy quality animals for meat quotas destroys the genetics for the area, but most operators and Conservancies are not real concerned about the future, only what they can put in their pocket today.

Same goes with "problem animal" hunts. It's just another bullshit way to shoot trophy animals above the quota. I constantly see operators selling Problem Animal hunts at the beginning of the season. They know how easy it is to obtain permission from MET to shoot more animals. $$$

The easiest way to stop meat and problem animal hunts is to add a premium cost on operators who conduct these hunts and then mandate that 100% of the trophy fee is sent to the Conservancy. We do it on all our client hunts. If you want to shoot meat or a problem animal for the community, great, but the operator does not profit from these hunts - every cent and ounce goes to the community. Oh, and if you just happen to shoot the wrong problem animal, the fine should start at $15,000. The bullshit will stop instantly.

So in a nutshell you are saying 'own use' is abused and not intended for sale?

I also am confused so seek further clarification. Are you speaking of Mozambique?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - Own Use is abused. It is not quota intended to be sold by operators, but it is not illegal. It should be used to improve genetics by culling the old, lame and poor quality animals. But it is commonly used to shoot more trophy quality animals for profit.

Only speaking of first hand experience of what's currently happening with great frequency in Namibia. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised that this is happening elsewhere.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't speak for other operators or areas, but I have been on two in the Nyae Nyae with Stephan Jacobs and we shot OLD bulls with small or broken tusks that a trophy hunter would not shoot. One of my bulls was aged in his mid forty's with 35 # tusk. That's trash in the Nyae Nyae. The council gives Stephan VERY FEW own use for the quota. They are non-exportable so you can't take the ivory home even if you did shoot a big tusker. The own use means it goes to the villages. There is no doubt there is room for abuse but I have not had anything but good experiences

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
Well, I can't speak for other operators or areas, but I have been on two in the Nyae Nyae with Stephan Jacobs and we shot OLD bulls with small or broken tusks that a trophy hunter would not shoot. One of my bulls was aged in his mid forty's with 35 # tusk. That's trash in the Nyae Nyae. The council gives Stephan VERY FEW own use for the quota. They are non-exportable so you can't take the ivory home even if you did shoot a big tusker. The own use means it goes to the villages. There is no doubt there is room for abuse but I have not had anything but good experiences

Interesting and really this is what I know as a 'non trophy' elephant hunt. The community gets all the produce and there are no exports.

Just that there seems to be quite a variety of these hunts - own use, management, PAC, non trophy, tuskless etc

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Own use is another way to say non trophy. Not only can't you export but you'll be shooting a cow or immature male. Own use sounds better to justify a high price for cull animals.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Own use is another way to say non trophy. Not only can't you export but you'll be shooting a cow or immature male. Own use sounds better to justify a high price for cull animals.
Cal

Absolutely in-correct Cal....

O/U hunters in Namibia are not allowed to shoot females, or young / immature animals.

They shoot old / mature animals, often broken tusk bulls, and the same with buff / hippo.

You know why I never comment on Tarpon fishing? Cause I've never done it - and I would hate to look / sound stupid!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
What does that mean??

Saeed - Offer up "free" money, and someone will find a reason why its a "problem."

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron, for setting me straight, Most so in your last sentence.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a couple own-use elephants in the Caprivi. The hunt is for big/old bulls with small tusks.

The hunt is not for cows or immature bulls,...and not for trophy bulls.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll wade into this as I’ve done some own use in Namibia.

As per Randy’s comment, the own use means no part of the animal is exportable, and is passed back to the conservancy.All meat is distributed and they get money from the animal culled as well.
To say that they target trophy animals is incorrect in my experiences, the oldest , inferior bulls are the ones targeted in own use in Namibia at least in the hunts I’ve done.

As Randy alluded to, there are areas in Namibia , especially Nye Nye where the average non trophy bull
Can be 35-50lbs or even more, which is higher than trophy bulls in other countries!! The average trophy bull here runs in th mid 70lb range!

I believe that they get 7 trophy and 3 own use a year in this conservancy, with a pop. base of over 2500 ele and growing over The last 10 yrs!

As they are not exportable, why would they be targeted , the hunter can’t receive any part of it?

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As has been said, own use in Namibia is for mature bull elephants with broken tusks, thus having diminished/no value to trophy hunters and no parts are exportable. I have taken elephants from all four categories of 1)Bulls, 2)tuskless, 3)own use and 4)ration elephants over the years; half have been bulls and half cows. Beau and I depart in 3 weeks to hunt our next elephants in Zim with Buzz and Alan.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Y’all remind me of Cliff from Cheers, an expert at everything and always wrong. “Own use” hunts are the African version of the 72oz steak challenge at the Big Texan in Amarillo. The Hippo/ele must be eaten in one sitting by the hunter (incl side salad), if completed the hunt is free.

Own use steak

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the "old days" farmers used to get a "pot Permit". This allowed for the shooting of game on your own farm for consumption and for staff rations.

Why this came about is because under South African law at the time ( Roman Dutch law) game was not legally owned by the owner of the land but was owned by the "people" of the country ( "Res nullius" latin ) and the Government and its agencies tasked with conservation was the legal guardian of the game on behalf of the "people". Thus if you wanted to shoot a animal on your own land for consumption you had to have a permit hence a "pot permit".

This permit was species, amount and sex specific and also transcended the "open season" provisions of the act on conservation.

The permit was not transferable to people outside the definition of owner of that land.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://huntnamibia.com.na/2016...o-use-elephant-bull/

Good story and photos of an "own use" elephant hunt in Namibia.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote