THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Returned yesterday from RSA/Botswana

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Returned yesterday from RSA/Botswana
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mark;

Johan Calitz definitely runs a great operation. I've hunted with Calitz Safaris twice before and my PH, Terry Palmer, before. Terry, in particular, was very, very attentive to our special needs (especially catering to my husband's disabilities). I would feel confident referring your clients. Pricey? Yes!!! Worth It? Yes!!!

We saw at least a dozen elephants per day of the 30 - 50 lb. class. I was a little worried I wouldn't find something larger, but Terry made me hold out... until the last day, if necessary. I'm glad he made me wait. I'm not the luckiest huntress in the world and normally have to work and wait longer than anybody else!!!

Didn't get my leopard in the Limpopo. The clever kitty never did anything the same twice, except leave huge tracks around our blind that looked like he was a monster. Hunted him for 14 days. Besides the morning and evening blind sitting, I spent 2 full nights in the blind trying to figure this cat's pattern. Hope someone finally takes him so I can see the photos!!!!

Let me know if you want further details re: elephant hunt.

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Just returned yesterday from a great month with Garry Kelly and I'd highly recommend him for an economy 7 day plainsgame hunt all the way through DG. We hunted everything from steinbuck through elephant and he knows his stuff.

We took a 58 pound elephant and a red lechwe in Botswana. We shot EC bushbuck and kudu, Mt. and common reedbuck, blue wildebeest and nyala in RSA.

We put nearly 6000 miles on Garry's Toyota while driving from Jo'berg to the Cape, Natal Midlands, Zululand, Northern Province and then to the Chobe and back.

I'll try to do a more detailed report later and post some pictures but Jerry Huffaker and his wife will be here next week for moose and caribou and then I practically follow them out the door for my move to Wyoming. I might not get to the report.

Anyway I now know why people spend all the money they do to hunt elephant. Elephant hunting is a thrill unmatched at least in my hunting experience. As for the brain shot all I can say is WOW!

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, how was the conditions? Last summer I watched the video of Tom Miller and Garry. God bless them, it looked like they got the truck stuck every 10 minutes and were constantly digging it out and were covered in mud most of the time.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mark! Well done. Can't wait to see some photos and read details.

I returned late Monday from Botswana, didn't see you in the airport though. I too found the brain shot to be a "WOW" experience. After some ammo problems with my .416 I elected to use my .375.

On the 11th day of my 14 day hunt, and reluctantly passing up many 30 - 50 pounders, we finally found the one I couldn't pass up. He only presented a frontal brain shot and my PH couldn't hold me back any longer. Fortunately he dropped like a rock, the ele not the PH. (Although I think my PH couldn't believe it either!) The ivory weighed out at just over 61 pounds.

Rumor has it that a Spanish hunter hunting with Johan Calitz out of the same camp where I hunted (Qorokwe) and immediately following my hunt took a 94 pounder!!!!!! I can't imagine what that guy looked like, I thought some of the 35 pounders looked enormous!

I'll post some photos when I figure out how to deal with my digital camera.

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Did look but didn't see you either. Got Terry's message that you had your elephant. You know we just missed eachother in Maun also. Congrats on your elephant. I guess you won the bet on the biggest ivory but fortunately we never agreed on an actual wager.

Johan did take a client to a 94x68 pounder while I was there. When I spoke to Johan he said they watched the elephant just simply walk across the line into the hunting area and they shot it. Tell about being in the right place at the right time.

I would be very interested in your opinion of the overall experience you had with Calitz.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, on my last evening there. It's a memory I will never forget.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan;

Yes the big lions are still there. In fact, we did a unsuccessful stalk on a buffalo one afternoon and the next morning we went back to try to pick-up his tracks only to find 3 big lions had already found him. It took them 3 days to polish him off. Then the hyenas took over.

A great camp and staff. Did they sing for you?

D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Mark on what sounds like an exciting safari and a fine elephant hunt in particular.

All the best on your upcoming move.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I've been dreaming of a Bots Elephant hunt, don't know when I'll do it but I thought the April - May time has more Elephant in the area.

Bryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I was just wondering where you were the other day and am glad to see you were doing something fun. Congrats on the hunt and good luck with your move.

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cogratulations all!!!

D. Nelson, I hunted out of the Qorokwe camp a couple of years ago with Hunters and Guides. Fabulous camp!! Are those big Lions still in the area?

Bryan

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Mark

Now just because you are busy, have jet lag and are moving doesn't excuse you from posting a picture of a great elephant. I hope to join the fraternity with an English double in 07.

CFA

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Congrats on a great elephant and a WOW adventure! I am looking forward to pictures and story of your hunt. You were right about elephant hunting! It's the pinnacle in my humble opinion.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote