New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temperatures in the Selous
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving for the Selous in a couple of weeks. For those that have been there, what sort of temperature ranges are likely in late August early September. In other words, will a sweater or light jacket be enough? I always carry a stocking cap and light gloves.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It'll vary between hot and bloody hot. Save yourself the weight and leave the sweater cap and gloves at home........... Wink

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guess I should have added that you can expect it to be around the mid to high 30s C in the day and the mid to high 20s C at night and always with high humidity............ They don't call it the steamy Selous for nothing!!!!

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Was there last Sept. Never wore anything heavier than a short sleeve cotton shirt. Just bring lots of bug spray!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am always hot there, but the PH and the locals all wear a jacket in the early mornings..I wear an unlined cotton brush jacket from time to time and a sweater is never a bad idea. I have worn a sweater on rare ocassions..

Mostly however, I don't even sleep under covers there at night but Saeed and all his UAE friends sleep under a blanket and sheet as does Pierre and his crew...Depends on where your from and how thick or thin your blood is, I am from Idaho, go figure. Being from Houston you probably should take a very light jacket and a light sweater for early mornings in the back of the Bakki (pickup)

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I like a long sleeve shirt because of the flies.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Never been to the Selous, but I've just about froze to death in Namibia.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Was there last Sept. Never wore anything heavier than a short sleeve cotton shirt. Just bring lots of bug spray!

What bugs do you need repellant for? Is there something besides the tsetse flies? Isn't September too dry for mosquitoes? I've only been in Tanzania in July and bugs, outside of tsetses, weren't a problem then. I'm headed to the Selous in 5 weeks and if you think I'll need a repellant for something, I'll surely pack it.
Thanks.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The hat and gloves are definately out.. Unless you are handling a doublerifle...
But most definately take a hydrating drink mix with you... Plain water does not quench your thirst... I buy powdered premix packages from the gatorade store...
I hunted from July to mid Aug. a few years ago and no coats were needed.. But I did take a few long sleeve shirts..
Good luck and have a great safari...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
The hat and gloves are definately out.. Unless you are handling a doublerifle...
But most definately take a hydrating drink mix with you... Plain water does not quench your thirst... I buy powdered premix packages from the gatorade store...
I hunted from July to mid Aug. a few years ago and no coats were needed.. But I did take a few long sleeve shirts..
Good luck and have a great safari...

Mike

For September, take sunscreen and a brimmed hat. The flies vary in intensity. As Steve says, it's hot. I wore long sleeve shirts and long pants as sun protection and used a booney hat to keep the tops of my ears from frying. Baseball caps don't cut it.

And definitely take instant Gatorade or some hydration mixture as mentioned above. Water just won't do it after about a week.

It's hot here in florida but hotter in the Selous. I never did need a jacket but took a bush vest which came in very handy.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:

What bugs do you need repellant for? Is there something besides the tsetse flies? Isn't September too dry for mosquitoes? I've only been in Tanzania in July and bugs, outside of tsetses, weren't a problem then. I'm headed to the Selous in 5 weeks and if you think I'll need a repellant for something, I'll surely pack it.
Thanks.

Mostly the tsetse flies, action varied between a few and swarms. Don't think we saw any mosquitos but it probably depends on which area you are hunting. Remember, the Selous is the size of some countries. We took Avon Skin so Soft and it seemed to help if you applied liberally and often.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
I like a long sleeve shirt because of the flies.

....and the SUN!

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,
If it's "only" tsetse flies then I'm good to go. I too tried the skin-so-soft but to me the ongoing applications weren't worth the bit of help it may have given. I have some other techniques that I use here in south Georgia for mosquitoes that worked better for me.
Mosquitoes aren't much of issue in TZ during the dry season, so unless there's somethig else flying around, I'm about ready to get there!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there in August a long sleeve cotton shirt was all I needed in the car at dawn, while the PH wore a camo parka and helmet liner. By 10AM I was down to a long sleeve Tee an only need the sleeves to make a frugal attempt at keeping the TseTse at bay.
I used the Avon Skin-So-Soft SPF30 with bug repellent on all exposed skin an it worked well for the TseTse. BTW I'm told those brown TseTse don't carry the sleeping sickness.

No Quarter Given Nor Asked

Posts: 28 | Location: My heart is in the Selous my home is in NY | Registered: 28 June 2008Reply With Quote