Dik-diks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
What`s right about dik dik taxonomy?
Damara dik dik has a latin name:
Madoqua kirki damarensis, I think..

In one of P. Flacks books he says there are two different groups of dik dik..
The long-snouted species, Rhynchotrachus and the shorter-snouted Madoqua family..
I thought the Damara Dikdik was a part of the long-snouted..
What is right?

I shot a Damara Dikdik in Namibia, but I don`t think the snout are that long, at least not compared to pics of Guenthers Dikdik..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anders,

As I set at my desk sendings this I am looking at the Mt. and relative to his total size I would think the Damara Dik-Dik does have a long snout, and he has that Rino type prehencil nose. Just my observation nothing official.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Here`s a close up of my D. Dikdik.
D. Dikdik
The nose is not short. That`s for sure! Smiler
I think the taxidermist managed to get the right look and nose character from the little fellow.
But other species in this family have longer in my opinion. Look at this: G. Dikdik

Anders

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anders,

That is one hellave Dik-Dik, did you have it scored. It looks like it could be top ten SCI.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I will have it scored pretty soon, I hope. When it was shot, my PH became very enthusiastic about it`s size, talking about this one going no 4 or 5 in Namibia. But I think he miscalculated a bit.
If I remember right it measured around 22 cm total. I know another one at AR (Mark in SC, I think) have one that is over 24. On Napha`s homepage the top ten Namibia is listed. Their server is down at the moment, but if I remember right 23-24 cm is the minimum there.
The length of the horns was about 6,7 green score on mine, so it should be a RW at least..

Do you know the score on yours, Die Ou Jagter?

Anders

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is not very big - it scores a total of 7 inches for SCI which is Bronze. I don't know the cm but I would guess maybe 18.

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
D.O.J, I think you have your animals mixed up bewildered If you have a 7" Dik Dik you have the world record my friend.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam,

No the 7 inches is the total SCI score. That is the total of the bases and the horn lenght. I said total inches not lenght.

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
my mistake for not reading it correctly. Sounds much better with word "total" there beer

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote