New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter Attacked
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What went wrong or is this just how it goes sometimes?

https://www.facebook.com/photo...051461889452&fref=nf

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he was lucky not to get shot. Bad deal.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15928 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
It was a follow up on a wounded leopard. I hunted with two of the PHs in the video and spent time in camp with two others. All very good PHs. I guess s**t happens sometimes.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's Cap and Dalton when Dalton was an apprentice. Dalton's a PH now and works for Martin Pieters.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I think after following up something like a wounded leopard with 3+ guys, if the leopard is dead and no one leaking from a gunshot, then it's a job well done. I personally would insist on aiding in the follow-up of any game I myself happened to wound, but when watching this and other videos like it, I can understand why some (many?) PHs would insist on either going solo or going only with another PH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like a young Shaun buffee on the video Cam as well as Martin Pieters .
Awounded leopard at full charge is probably the hardest target of all, they all had a shot at him early in the charge and all missed.

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's a young Shaun Buffee in the video.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A wounded leopard at full charge is probably the hardest target of all, they all had a shot at him early in the charge and all missed.

Now had there been a 10 or 12 gauge semi auto loaded with serious buckshot among them someone might not have been scratched. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look closely there is someone armed with a shotgun behind Martin, it's either a pump or semi auto!!!!

Nick stir

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there another link to that video? I don't FB.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That video is on Utube.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This video has been around for quite some time.

Did you notice the tracker coming to hit the leopard with an axe? He has big balls. He should have a job for life.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JnCbR83VA

Begno,

Here is the youtube link.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The whole event is on Martin's DVD, First Season, which is a good DVD if you do not already have it.

http://www.safaripress.com/The...productinfo/DVD9961/

Mike

Posts: 21678 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

This as others have said has been around awhile and yes shit happens when the client doesn't make the initial shot correctly. Last time this was on AR some Internet heroes were criticizing the guy that actually received the attack because he was screaming. I doubt any of us knows what we would do or what sounds we would make with an enraged leopard on board of us.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Randy,

This as others have said has been around awhile and yes shit happens when the client doesn't make the initial shot correctly. Last time this was on AR some Internet heroes were criticizing the guy that actually received the attack because he was screaming. I doubt any of us knows what we would do or what sounds we would make with an enraged leopard on board of us.

Mark

Mark:

I am quite confident I would not scream as all of my energy would be used pissing all over myself.

You are right of course.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Not sure how well it would work but if I was a leopard hunting PH I would have some sort of heavy duty leather/chain mail jacket for just such occasions! Eeker

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Randy,

Mark

Mark:

I am quite confident I would not scream as all of my energy would be used pissing all over myself.

You are right of course.

tu2+1
I'm pretty sure you would not be alone either!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:
Not sure how well it would work but if I was a leopard hunting PH I would have some sort of heavy duty leather/chain mail jacket for just such occasions! Eeker

RAC:

I experienced a serious leopard incident in 2012. I can tell you that the trackers put on all of their clothes and wrapped a sweater or sweatshirt around their necks. That got my attention.

I think the problem with protection is that it slows you down and is potentially distracting.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Larry, kinda what I figured. Still, perhaps just a vest you could wear under a shirt. Great mental exercise, anyway. Needs more testing, just no volunteers. Big Grin

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Randy,
because he was screaming. I doubt any of us knows what we would do or what sounds we would make with an enraged leopard on board of us.

Mark

100 % Mark. Everyone screams. But when its on video , its out there for everyone to comment on ( lots of back seat drivers out there ) , or lightly joke about , if its your friends . I've seen guys start to scream before the cat hits them. Anticipation of what is to come , I guess . Not a pleasant experience , all the same.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last time this was on AR some Internet heroes were criticizing the guy that actually received the attack because he was screaming. I doubt any of us knows what we would do or what sounds we would make with an enraged leopard on board of us.

Mark

I must have missed that.

I still remember the first time I saw video of this attack. I shook my head when Martin told the guy, "you scream like a bitch".

Only a Zim PH could joke at such a time!
Eeker

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Cap quit hunting for a time after this happened, IIRC, but is back at it again. until you have actually seen a leopard charge, you really have no idea how fast it occurs. beginning to end never more than 6-8 seconds, usually less...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Last time this was on AR some Internet heroes were criticizing the guy that actually received the attack because he was screaming. I doubt any of us knows what we would do or what sounds we would make with an enraged leopard on board of us.

Mark

I must have missed that.

I still remember the first time I saw video of this attack. I shook my head when Martin told the guy, "you scream like a bitch".

Only a Zim PH could joke at such a time!
Eeker
I recall it having been compassionately referred to as "singing". Whatever was said on AR, it pales in comparison to the roasting Chap took around the campfire! The worst damage was to his wrist which the cat clamped down on, and hopefully with time this has healed.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
Lions are fast too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIGqD80N6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEKcAL0Kplc

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

Posts: 39 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
You can see that even using rifles you can get mauled .An expert with a rifle or shotgun can stop it .ALTHOUG AS MARK SAID SHIT HAPPENS...

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:

RAC:

I experienced a serious leopard incident in 2012. I can tell you that the trackers put on all of their clothes and wrapped a sweater or sweatshirt around their necks. That got my attention.

I think the problem with protection is that it slows you down and is potentially distracting.

Jim Corbett used to have leather "armor" he would wear around his neck when going into the thick stuff after a wounded man-eating leopard. That man had grit!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4771 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Randy,

Mark

I was not criticizing him whatsoever. Just simply amazed at the video. I have no doubt I would be squawking myself. Thank you for all of the replies.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The worst damage was to his wrist which the cat clamped down on, and hopefully with time this has healed.

Still stiff with limited mobility as of June.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
An expert with a rifle or shotgun can stop it .

I'll have to go back and watch the full follow-up on DVD, but I'm pretty sure that Martin is using a short barreled SXS shotgun with express sights. My first leopard hunt ended with a follow-up in fading light and a full-on charge from about six paces. I will never forget the mad screaming of the angry cat and the sight of his teeth as he came for us. He took 4 rounds of 00 buck from less than spitting distance and the only thing that stopped him was single pellet that penetrated the top of his skull and brained him. None of the pellets that hit his shoulders and chest penetrated sufficiently to end the charge. So, based on that sample of one, I'm not a huge believer in the effectiveness of a shotgun on a determined big tom leopard.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
An expert with a rifle or shotgun can stop it .

I'll have to go back and watch the full follow-up on DVD, but I'm pretty sure that Martin is using a short barreled SXS shotgun with express sights. My first leopard hunt ended with a follow-up in fading light and a full-on charge from about six paces. I will never forget the mad screaming of the angry cat and the sight of his teeth as he came for us. He took 4 rounds of 00 buck from less than spitting distance and the only thing that stopped him was single pellet that penetrated the top of his skull and brained him. None of the pellets that hit his shoulders and chest penetrated sufficiently to end the charge. So, based on that sample of one, I'm not a huge believer in the effectiveness of a shotgun on a determined big tom leopard.

What kind of buckshot did you use? Was it plated?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever read what Peter Hathaway Capstick said was his outfit for following up wounded leopards? IIRC, it included a football helmet, and a leather collar to protect his neck. I

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was most impressive to me is that (apparently) the cat was able to bite right into his belly. I'm assuming that's what the four bloody spots in his belly are.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Larry, I don't recall the brand, maybe Winchester. The pellets were not plated.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Therein lies the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevastopol:
What was most impressive to me is that (apparently) the cat was able to bite right into his belly. I'm assuming that's what the four bloody spots in his belly are.

It looked like the marks on the belly were from the leopards claws.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I find the results of the buckshot very strange. What has changed from 60 to 100 years ago with the pellets used?

My dad shot 2 tigers in the early 1950s - with Eley 2.5 inch paper cased ammo using Ball & LG (6 lead pellets). My dad did not get a rifle (10.75X68) for another 5 years.

Thousands of tigers & leopards were shot in India until the late 1960s / early 70s using such ammo. My gut feel is that 95% of ALL big game (including sambar & the odd Gaur) shot in India was with such ammo from 12 bore shotguns.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11201 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When a pissed off Leopard is in bite mode it certainly doesn't take nips and can stretch its jaws to open wider than one can imagine. coffee

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

When a pissed off Leopard is in bite mode it certainly doesn't take nips and can stretch its jaws to open wider than one can imagine. coffee

I have read the leopard likes to "gut" victims in a charge with its claws. Obviously, this didn't happen here, but is that the case? I may just be thinking if Wilbur Smith.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPHMIN:
Have you ever read what Peter Hathaway Capstick said was his outfit for following up wounded leopards? IIRC, it included a football helmet, and a leather collar to protect his neck. I

Did he have to remove his wool beret and monocle prior to adorning his leopard armor? Wink

I have never been mauled by a leopard. But I have been TASE'd. My pre TASEing plan was to stand and take it like a man possibly grunting in true caveman fashion as I bravely absorbed the massive electrical current that was soon to be coursing through my body and disrupting my CNS.

When the lightening struck I folded like a cheap suit and screamed like a little girl getting run over by an ice cream truck. You never know how you are going to react to the lightening or the fangs or the horns. I have to say this for the PH however, screams or not he put up an appropriate and worthy fight while being mauled. He was kicking the crap out of that cat before the total cessation of hostilities occurred.

My hat is off to the guy.