New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lusaka Airport
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I will be traveling through Lusaka in July. She wants to buy trinkets on our departure like she did at Joburg in '09. My question is this, is there any shopping in this airport? Our safari will not be close to any local markets, so its the airport, or nothing.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've travelled there a few times in te last 6 months - was last there in Dec. There are a few shops there (two I think!?) but I've never been in. There do seem to be small curio type things just from peeking through the windows, but it's not a bigtime shopping venue.

I'm sure the Zambian locals will give a better reply. Wear shoes that are easy to take off when going through security Wink.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ishopper,

You may also find roadside vendors and if you make it known in camp that you are in the markets for curios the crew may provide a variety of things. I've brought back quite few things form Zambia and never bought anything in the airport.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turn left after you come up the escalator and you'll find a couple of shops that should fit your bill.
The leather goods one is rarely open when I pass thru on the evening Emirates flight.
The larger stores that also sell booze etc have a limited stock of trinkets but sometimes you hit on something a little unusual. There's also a gemstone/diamond type store on your right before the departure gate that could be avoided if you're paying Wink

Posts: 464 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are about 8-10 shops in the bottom part where you wait for your departure. I bought some cool stuff there the last time I hunted in Zambia (2015).

I also got some Zambian currency there as well, if you're interested in collecting African money.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote