Notify
Tools

Re: Erick Von Eckhardt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted
http://www.svenskajaktresor.com

This is the link to his website, in swedish but there are some photos.

I know he still writes in magazines and that he shoots a 458 lott (or did).

I have only talked to him ones and then he lied to me about that hunting was not legal in great britain because of mad cow diseace (a lot of hunters reported they hunted there that year through Nordic Safari Club)

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
"Cattle die, and kinsmen die,
And so one dies one's self;
But a good name will never die,
If good renown one gets."

according to Havamal, so never speak ill of a man unless you can say something good aswell -

The man wouldn�t touch hard liquor nor use the sauna - quite inconcievable!

But 20 years ago the man taught me how to hold a rifle steady without a rest - that�s a plus in my book, ripping yarn or not.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boha is a much nicer person than I...

But just check the Erik�s homepgae! Group hunts for ten people! I wonder if they are hunting 10:1? What a ripoff.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Cewe,
Dave Brooke and I have a common friend and I am going to hunt with Dave in about two weeks time, either "problem animals" in Zimbabwe or at game ranch in RSA close to the border.

Will use my .404 Rimless Nitro Express of course

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husky,

Have a good one! Your choice of cal. sounds interesting, I�ve heard of the .404 Jeffey but not the Rimless N.E.

Problems animals are for me elephant, buffalo and cats -the problem is I can�t afford them!

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
cewe,
The .404 rimless Nitro Express is the same as the .404 Jeffery, but as my rifle is a Brno ZG 47 and not a Jeffery I think that the .404 Rimless Nitro Express is more correct?!

Your'e right about the problem animals -also about the prices. But as you also know how much you have to pay for hunting Moose in Finland compared to what a chap from the European continent has to pay when he wants to hunt moose...

It is the same situation with the problem animals, if you have the right contacts -it won't cost you much, the dull thing is that you are not allowed to bring with you any trophys back. But I can live with that. I rather hunts problem animals several times in my life than just one elephant hunt thhere I can bring with me the thropy back.

The problem animals use to be in the area 3 - 4 days a week and i have only 4 days for hunting -therefore it can end up in a gamereserve this time. But I and my friend are palnning a longer hunt next year.

Husky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone here ever hunt with him?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I�ve met him a couple times, about twenty years ago he was doing pig hunts in Tunisia, these were quite popular. He wasn�t my type of person.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He still is doing the barbary boar hunts but is also running hunts in Tanzania now. If you care to expand on your comments, feel free to PM me here.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let�s put it this way: Erick is a Swedish aristrocrat who likes to play Hemingway. If even half the stuff he say�s he�s done is true then he�s led a helluva life (been engaged to Gina Lolobrigido, saw action during the Mau Mau, shot a thousand hippos in Lake Victoria blablabla). He�s slick and arrogant and can organize a pig hunt.

These are my personal views based om meeting him socially several times twenty years back -he might have changed, I might have changed.

Be that as it may there are several reputable outfitters in Tanzania, hunt with one of them.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Erick is a Swedish aristrocrat ... He�s slick and arrogant ...

Perfect match for John.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Altough I agree with you Cewe about Mr Eckhardt in generally...

But is he really a Swedish nobel man? I think that he is of Dutch origin..

/Husky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask the man and he�ll give you his lineage: Mother Danish opera singer, he say�s that he grew up on a Danish castle and started hunting with butler (shooting sparrows with a .22). His mothers maiden name was de Mandt and he often uses the name Erik Eckhardt de Mandt. He should be a Swedish baron and a Danish count. He used to write for a Swedish hunting mag, has/had a kennel for labrador retrievers, is married for the second or third time (the engagement to Gina L. was broken up by her brothers -according to Erik). He can�t be much over sixty so he was about 12 when he hunted Mau Maus in the Aberdeen forest. The massive hippo shoot he likes to talk about is something I�ve never been able to confirm in any litt. The man shoots a 7mm Rem mag, hardly a PH gun. He promised -in writing- a good friend of mine a free pig hunt in Tunisia but never came through on that. I was in my early 20�s when I met him and he loved telling us wideeyed kids all kinds of s--t.

Oh did I tell you that he met Hemingway when he was on his last safari? Erik was the one to inform him that the rains were coming so Hem cleared out of camp in a hurry. God was Ernest lucky that Erik came along!

But by all means check his references but be ware of plenty of BS around the campfire.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Cewe,
you are more well informed than i am about this chap.
I was going to hunt with him in Tunisia but after a first meeting here in Sweden I didn't..
My friend who went along did have a lot of "camp fire" stories to tell during the Moose hunt the year after and it was not about hunting those pigs in Tunisia, it was stories about a completely different sort of pig

By the way do you know a PH named Dave Brooke? A white Kenyan, who nowadays lives in RSA. I think that he is one of the East African Proffesional Hunters Association fellows...?

Husky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husky: Sorry, I haven�t heard of the PH you mentioned but somebody on the board probably has.

Hope your friend has managed to regain his health.