THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Oxpeckers - Sorry state of Zimbabwe’s wildlife hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oxpeckers - Sorry state of Zimbabwe’s wildlife hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't come across Oxpeckers.org before, and I'm not sure if this is alot of wind but makes for interesting reading.

https://oxpeckers.org/2018/06/...an-wildlife-hunting/

Posts: 47 | Location: zim | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxpeckers is generally a good site with good intelligence. They have overstepped the mark here by implying the entire industry is tainted by the actions of one or two.

More importantly, as charges have not been filed, this coverage could seriously prejudice the state's case.

Under the law, "visitors" may accompany a PAC hunt, but not as the actual hunters.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The info about Three Monkeys cafe in Vic Falls and its owner, Martin Pieters is quite interesting.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
The info about Three Monkeys cafe in Vic Falls and its owner, Martin Pieters is quite interesting.

Yup. I know MP has had some issues. Personally, I have never heard of him poaching the park. It may or may not be true.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting read.
Mr Martin Pieters name seems to pop up here fairly often in a controversial way.
Hmmm, wonder why?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin Pieters is at it again:
Identity theft
Jackson’s admission to using identity theft and fake documents to conduct an illegal hunt in a national park and smuggle ivory to South Africa sparked recent investigations into similar scams in Zimbabwe.

Most sources mentioned The Three Monkeys restaurant in Vic Falls, a popular hangout among hunters from foreign countries that is owned by Martin Pieters, also the proprietor of Martin Pieters Safaris.

A ZimParks investigator whose identity cannot be revealed for security reasons confirmed investigating reports of illegal hunts by foreigners linked to The Three Monkeys restaurant and its owner. The investigator’s testimony was corroborated by poachers and professional hunters in the nearby Hwange National Park.

One local hunter based in Vic Falls said he often works with foreigners booked through Martin Pieters Safaris.

“I assisted hunts in the Hwange National Park on three occasions, with the most recent towards the end of 2017. Everybody knows it’s risky and illegal, but when these hunters come through our facilitators [The Three Monkeys restaurant] the fear is gone, as things would have been sorted out already,” he said.

During his last hunting expedition in Hwange in October 2017, the foreign hunter had an Afrikaans name “but spoke very fluent English. When I jokingly asked why his English was so polished he told me he was American but came via South Africa, where they assumed Afrikaans names before crossing into Zimbabwe for hunting.”

A poacher who operates in the northern part of Hwange and is based in Vic Falls confirmed the accusations of illegal hunting in the national park by hunters linked to Martin Pieters Safaris. “Everything that is happening in the wildlife industry has the blessing of politicians, top safari operators and the security sector,” he added.

A black professional hunter did not want to be named said identity theft was common “especially with clients coming via South Africa”. His clients often tell stories about how they use fake South African identities, especially when they are excited with job done and they are almost leaving the country, he said.

Contacted for comment on the phone, Martin Pieters expressed ignorance of the allegations. “I have no idea about that, it would be a parks investigations issue,” Pieters responded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I feel the efforts to promote hunting are in vain when these types seem to operate with impunity, only to soil hunting when their poaching and illegal shenanigans get a spotlight on them.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Interesting read.
Mr Martin Pieters name seems to pop up here fairly often in a controversial way.
Hmmm, wonder why?

He seems to have had a fall from grace over the past decade.

While circumstances shouldn’t affect your ethics, I would hate to walk a mile in a white Zimbabwean’s shoes.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting and have got back to this.
For the record.
I have never hunted in a national park
I have never facilitated a hunt in a national park.
I have not hired ' local' hunters from Victoria falls.
I am in no way connected to an alleged poacher operating from Victoria falls.
I own a restaurant in the falls and obviously many different tourists eat there including foreign hunters, what they do, where they go and who they hunt with after their meal is not my concern as the Three Monkeys does not operate as a booking agent, a safari company or a ' meeting place ' for these so called illegal hunters.

After investigation, it has been found that the report was written by a black Zimbabwean independent journalist and sold to Oxpeckers.
I am taking legal action against Oxpeckers and the journalist involved that compiled this fabricated report.

Thanks Martin

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Martin last July in Zim and there was no hint of any impropriety whatsoever. Only thing that bothered me was he didn't drink as much as I did............

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1112 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote