THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zambia: Wounded elephant kills man in Livingstone

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia: Wounded elephant kills man in Livingstone
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wounded elephant kills man in Livingstone
Written by Edwin Mbulo in Livingstone

From The Post
September 18, 2009

LIVINSGTONE resident of Simonga village was on Wednesday morning trampled to death by a wounded elephant.
In an interview, Mosi-O-Tunya National Park area warden Stephen Malungo said the elephant, which had since been gunned down by Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) officials, had seven to eight bullet wounds on its back.

“I can confirm that a 33-year-old Chrispin Matali, Simonga resident, was yesterday (Wednesday) killed around 07:30 hours by an elephant as he was heading home from his work place, a farm in Simonga,” he said.

Malungo added that the son of the deceased who watched as his father was being trampled upon by the beast ran to the village to alert the other villagers of his father’s fate.

“When this happened the deceased was in the company of his son who managed to escape and run to the village and alerted the others of his father’s fate. The area where Matali was killed is a known corridor for elephants between Chundunkwa Lodge turn off and Simonga village. After I got the report, I informed the district administrator Mr Francis Chika and together we went to the scene were upon arrival we managed to spot the elephant,” he said.

Malungo added that after the officer gunned down the elephant, it was discovered with bullet wounds on its back.

“I insisted that we inspect the elephant and we discovered that it had about seven to eight bullet wounds on its buttocks. As much as we know that elephants are good towards people, the attack by this animal on Matali was instigated by its wounds,” said Malungo. “I would further like to appeal to the public not to try and injure or wound wildlife as the consequences are bad. This warning is meant for the people of Mandia area who seem to be in the habit of these acts.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote