Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 9.3 caliber double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I recently saw a 9.3x62 (I think) in a CZ O/U double rifle. Anyone have any experience or feedback on the rifle? I think it is an older rifle but it is a CZ. Is this a good rifle? I was thinking of taking it but I no nothing about the caliber or the rifle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
I recently saw a 9.3x62 (I think) in a CZ O/U double rifle. Anyone have any experience or feedback on the rifle? I think it is an older rifle but it is a CZ. Is this a good rifle? I was thinking of taking it but I no nothing about the caliber or the rifle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

The verious O/U double rifles come in all kinds of chamberings,because the O/Us are not generally used for dangerous game rifles.

The one you are looking at could very well be a 9.3X62. However, I suspect it is a 9.3X74R which is balisticly the same chambering, though the 9.3X62 is a rimless cartridge, and the 9.3X74R is a rimmed cartridge, and they look intirely different from each other. The best cartridge for any double rifle will be a rimmed cartridge. The little palls used for extraction of rimless cartridges are problematic at times, while the rimmed case uses a solid extractor, and in the opinion of most double rifle users, rimmed cases are the only thing used, especially if the rifle is to be used for the "BITE-BACK" animals, where reliability is an absolute must!

The 9.3X62, and the 9.3X74R are the minimum allowed for dangerous game in many countries in Africa, and the 375 H&H in others. Both the 9.3s are good rounds, and if you are only considering the rifle as a deer rifle, then either will do. If, however, you want to take on the bad boys, I'd opt for the 9.3X74R of the two, and in a S/S double!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned with an O/U design for any dangerous game because of the limited access to the lower barrel for reloading in a rush. The caliber is fine and my experience with CZ has been excellent. You may find it a bit heavy in walk and stalk hunting as compared to a light bolt action when hunting plains game.

I have hunted with everything from a 22-250 to a .375 for African plains game over a number of years. Know your rifle and know where to shoot the animal is everything - ballistics are vastly overrated. In general most PH's will tell you shoot a big slow bullet as opposed to a light fast one; but they also say "use what you shoot best". If you can't handle the recoil of a 30-06 , don't take a .375. Use a lighter caliber with a heavy bullet, say a 7 x 57. African game isn't any tougher today than it was a hundred years ago.

Water Doctor

Posts: 4 | Location: Alaska, Africa, Western US | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The Chay Zed doubles I have seen are chambered 9.3X74R. My questions are what ammo is available to you, and how good are the sights on this rifle?

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the only 9.3 that is legal by Zimbabwe standards is the 9.3x64...The 9.3x62 can barely make the grade by using a stiff handload and the 9.3x74 is not legal....BUT, no one I know in Zimbabwe really cares, including the game dept, and no one gets checked and lots of folks use them...Just bringing up a technicality...The 9.3s are not legal in Tanzania but again whos counting? no one is, no one cares, and its a good system..A practical lot the Africans...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote