Notify
Tools

Conditions @ Matetsi 3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone been to Matetsi 3 lately??

Inayati lost the lease I understand..

I was there in 2002, but when last in Zim in 04/05, heard that AOA had wiped out Mat 2 and was spilling over onto other concessions and depleting those also..

I'm also curious about the Kosonso in Zam... There in 98..

Thanks all.

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike i was in Kasonso in 2005, H&G Zambia are doing a great job of looking after it,they are shooting 2 MGM Lions a year, 100% on big sable, biggest being 50", 100% on sitatunga, buffalo depends a lot on the movement of the big herds but there are also groups of Dagga boys, plenty hartebeest, reedbuck, bushbuck; Blue duiker are as good as any of the best areas in Africa - with a bit of effort you will shoot a great trophy; saw lots of bushpig during the day. What more can i say? Leopard are a bit challenging and they do battle to get the cats on bait but when they do shoot leopards they are normally good. Hunters & Guides have very active anti poaching controls and have really put a lot of effort into looking after Kasonso. We saw a herd of 100+ sable the one day.

In terms of Matestsi 3, i had family drive through there last year after the fires and judging by the amount of game they saw just from the Pandamtenga main road (if you can call it that) the area is in good shape. I have friends hunting Matetsi Unit 4 and it is going well; i believe that with the moratorium on lions in Matetsi there are some monster Lions in those blocks.

All in all i think both areas are in pretty good shape.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
MopaneMike, from my experience in Matetsi last year I think I'm correct in saying that game is plentiful in Unit 3. As far as I recall Inyati lost the lease a couple of years ago but has since refused to give up the Lodge they were leasing. For that reason the new concession management has been using one of the lodges in Hwange as their base of operations. Buffalo and elephant have been moving through quite often. Leopard is difficult to produce there, but I did have success on one. Kudu and Sable and Waterbuck are present, but I did not see the spectacular trophies that I expected during my 2-week hunt. Good hunting.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MopaneMike,
I hunted Kansoso with Gavin Hume in Sept 06. Game was plentiful... I took lion,sable,roan,buf,hippo,sitatunga,puku,oribi,reedbuck,bushbuck,wildebeast,warthog,bushpig,lechwe,and hartebeast. This is a fantastic sitatunga and sable area! I saw blue duiker frequently. Hunters and Guides has obviously taken care of the area.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen Thank You,

I was hoping Mat3 would be ok... Truely loved my experiance there and the PH's and staff were fantastic..

Kosonso has the special place in my heart as my first time to African hunting... But even to my inexperianced eye's the game was thin and hard to find.. Poaching had taken a heavy toll. Puku everywhere though.. Yes the Lions there were fantastic, Saw very few sable, but the ones we did see were grand! At that time there were little fishing villages and camps all over, resulting in lots of snare activity.. Myself and my partner both got our buff & both had .30 cal bullets in them.. I also shot two more bulls and a cow poachers had wounded.

I also had the mis-fortune of hunting with a "local" owner useing a once well known but fallen PH as a front.

Warming that H&G has brought the area back.. Perhaps I can get back there one day..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike visist www.huntersandguides.co.za to see some of the game that they take in Kasonso, they really have done a great job of looking after it - but it comes at a price and there hunts are priced at a premium.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote