THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Trophy Fees for Wounded and Lost Animals
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Fees for Wounded and Lost Animals
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious how many hunters have wounded and lost an animal and then paid the trophy fee for the animal. My first safari I wounded a buffalo and we could not find him. My trophy fee for that animal was $1800 which I paid. Do you think that policy is enforced in the majority of cases or infrequently?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is enforced. That is one reason "game rangers" are attached to safaris; they report animals taken and wounded, along with other information. If you are hunting on ranches it is most common to take along a ranch staff member and this is one of his responsibilities.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have wounded and lost a buffalo and paid the trophy fee - Tanzania.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I have wounded and lost a buffalo and paid the trophy fee - Tanzania.

+1 but in Zim. I believe the trophy fee will be charged every time on a free range hunt. If you are hunting PG on a ranch I would guess there might be some kind of discretion.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Mine was a bushbuck in RSA (Eastern Cape). It still hurts, and not the money part. I accept that it would probably die from a fly-bourne parasitic illness as described to me. My "trophy" was a pick-up skull, a reminder to me of lessons learned. Shoot again, take control of scope check conditions, practice with sticks some more, ...

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I shot at a Klipspringer once, he ran off but we found alot of hair. There was no blood and no klipspringer. I thought I'd have to pay, but it turned out "no blood, no pay".

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Happened to me, a 'buff in Mozambique. Still a painful lesson. Happened to my hunting partner on the same hunt too.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we were in the Omay,Zimbabwe during 2003 our PH Blake Muil (Rory's brother) explained to my husband that as soon as he shoots at his croc, we have to assume it is a hit and the hunt is over. Blake explained the need to be absolutely sure of the shot. The croc was taken, but talk about a pressure shot.

What about the trophy fee on a sliding scale animal? When we were in Chirisa during 2007 my husband wanted to know what if he screws up the brain shot and the elephant escapes, what is the trophy fee since it is on a sliding scale? Is the trophy fee $15,000 or $10,000? The PH said they would have to take his word on his tusk weight estimate. I wonder how this would have turned out had he missed the brain shot.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The croc is the only animal where a hit is presumed even if none is seen. If you don't hit the brain or the spine immediately behind the brain, the croc behaves the same whether it is wounded or not. It slips into the water faster than your rifle can come out of recoil and is never seen again.

Kathi, I didn't knnow Rory had a brother.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've been fortunate enough never to have wounded an animal that I didn't recover -- but, I've never had any doubt that the rules about paying the trophy fees would be enforced without exception.

This would, of course, always be the case where game scouts accompany every hunting party, but I'm certain that, with or without game scouts present, my PH's would have had me pay the trophy fees -- and rightly so, I might add.

The rule is nothing but fair as fair as I'm concerned.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't lost one, but the no blood no pay is the rule I was told. I also haven't nearly as much experience as some of you guys. Hunt enough and it will happen.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frowner Frowner Been there .. Got the damn tee shirt.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last trip to Limpopo, RSA, I hit a Kudu but didn't down it. Looked that afternoon and the next morning. Left that hunting area knowing I'd pay for him. I did.

He was found after I left (51.5") and is in the trophy shipment.

Certainly not proud of the event. Very sobering. Problem was not being able to hit what I was aiming at ... was knowing where to aim at an odd angle.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still have a bad tase in my mouth from loosing a zebra last trip. It isnt about the money. I just cant stand to leave a wounded animal in the field. I will gladly pay the trophy fee. On my second safari several years back I muffed a shot on a wildebeest. I actually hit the horns and knocked it out. It wasnt determined until after 2 hours of hunting and bringing in a dog to look for blood. Anyway it was called a miss and I wasnt charged much to my surprise. I guess that is an example of the no blood no pay thing. I dont know that I would count on it though. I think it is extended at times as a courtesy but I dont think it should be expected.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
The only animal I ever wounded and lost was my very first lion. I paid the trophy fee.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indy- Croc, Hippo or elephant. If you fire, you have bought it.

Everything else, no blood, then a miss can be 'assumed'. But I have noticed that the particularly the tribal area game scouts will make a darn good search for blood...they want to force you to make a real effort to find any wounded dangerous game in their home area, and as the trophy fee goes to the tribal council- they are desperately keen for you to pay...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As it should be. You broke it you bought it.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, been there done that. On ur trip last year to the limpopo, I wounded a gemsbok, tracked him that night and the next day, couldn't find him. Went on and shot another one. My $925 gemsbok cost me $1850.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Kudu for me. I'll never show up in a hunting camp out of shape again.

Frowner

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warthog for me in RSA. I'm still sore about it several years later. We found plenty of blood and had a couple hours of daylight to look around, but the "tracker" and PH couldn't find it. I had to really push them to help me look for over an hour. And yes, they charged me for it.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a wounded and lost on a Hyrax. I think I hit a rear leg with a shotgun pellet. Paid the trophy fee of $10.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lost a springbok in Namibia. Strange hunt, had 3 PHs in camp but no "trackers". The springbok was quartering to me and rocked back with the shot then ran off with the rest of the herd. Blood was found so one PH wanted to get out of the vehicle to track him but the other said "we'll just drive around 'till we find him". Well, we didn't find him. The trophy fee was paid. It was of no consequence but I felt that animal did not have to be lost.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My first and only animal lost was my first Elephant. Frontal brain shot missed followed by a shoulder shot probably too high. He went into an area we did not have permission to follow. My understanding is he was found later dead. I paid in full.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
We had an idiot guide in Argentina while hunting Blackbuck.

I shot my Blackbuck and then my father wounded his. It was his first animal with a Rifle and he was a bit distressed, and asked me to make sure the animal went down as we only had one rifle with us. He didn;t want to risk fluffing the shot again as the guid was putting huge pressure on us whby shouting while we were looking through the scope...(insane I know!!)

The wounded Buck was found and was in a group of three, so I told the guide to tell me which buck was hit and I would drop it. He said to me it was the buck in the middle so i put it down quickly and the other two ran off. Only then did I realise he made me shoot the wrong animal.

He refused to follow up the wounded animal saying that we had two bucks and after all that's what we came for.....

He carged me for & I paid for the two we collected but I was distraught about the wounded animal they left out there. I got on the phone to my outfitter as soon as everyone started the "We don't speak english routine" and he tried to explain to the guy our point of view to such things.

The trophies never came through, they got lost after I pad for the taxidermy and worst of all my father has never really wanted to shoot a game animal with a rifle since. I'm hoping to get him out to Africa with me next year though and fix that.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The first animal I shot on my first safari was an impala at 130 yards with my 6.5X55. He went tits up in a big cloud of dust at the shot and laid there kicking. PH said "Great shot man, let's have a smoke then go see him." Half-way through the cig, the impala got up, shook himself off, and left, never to be seen again. Obviously he was hit, and we found a bit of blood. We tracked him all that day and part of the next, but never found him. The tracker on that property looked for several more days after we left and never saw hide nor hair of him. They watched very closely for a week for buzzards and never saw any to follow. We (the PH and I) assumed that I hit him high, shocking his spine and dropping him. We also assume that he lived through it and is probably bumping around in the push with a chunk out of his back. And yes, I paid that trophy fee. It was a hard lesson to learn, but I switched to my .338 and haven't looked back.

For what it's worth, that incident hexed me, because I failed to get an impala on that trip and on the next. I really need to go back for some redemption...

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hit and lost my first in June, a kudu in Namibia. It was long range, but I can only blame myself for pulling the trigger. I paid the full trophy fee, but the money, although significant, still isn't as bad as the kicking I've been giving myself ever since. Full report in the hunt reports, 2 Cats with Karl.
Chris

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of My24462
posted Hide Post
Couple of my friends including myself has, wounded and lost a animal. And YES . . . the trophy was pay in full.

I suppose it part of hunting in Africa.

Posts: 15 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paid for my buff in Tanz. Shot and killed all the others but I hit him with a center shot, he staggered, and I turned to my tracker and said " That was a solid hit" only to see him run off...with my $2,300.00 in his pocket. Somewhat arrogant on my part. Tracked him for 6 1/2 hours and I was pissed because I thought he could have hurt someone. You do your best.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may go against the grain, but if the PH cant track worth a damn or does not even want to try and there is no resident tracker then I don't think you should pay.
It is the responsibility of the Outfit to provide a tracker, you will see it written into all your contracts. And in the same breath, a tracker has bush skill, not some African in an overall posing as a tracker.
It is a big part of the problem with hunting Sa at the moment, so many outfits are up and running, but the art of tracking is fast dying out as people are just not interested in investing the time needed to build the skill.
Worst case they should have a dog trained on blood if they cant offer a tracker, but thats just my opinion.
Good hunting
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:

I shot my Blackbuck and then my father wounded his. It was his first animal with a Rifle and he was a bit distressed, and asked me to make sure the animal went down as we only had one rifle with us. He didn;t want to risk fluffing the shot again as the guid was putting huge pressure on us whby shouting while we were looking through the scope...(insane I know!!)

The wounded Buck was found and was in a group of three, so I told the guide to tell me which buck was hit and I would drop it. He said to me it was the buck in the middle so i put it down quickly and the other two ran off. Only then did I realise he made me shoot the wrong animal.

He refused to follow up the wounded animal saying that we had two bucks and after all that's what we came for.....

He carged me for & I paid for the two we collected but I was distraught about the wounded animal they left out there. I got on the phone to my outfitter as soon as everyone started the "We don't speak english routine" and he tried to explain to the guy our point of view to such things.

The trophies never came through, they got lost after I pad for the taxidermy and worst of all my father has never really wanted to shoot a game animal with a rifle since. I'm hoping to get him out to Africa with me next year though and fix that.

FB

Would you mind telling us who the outfit was so we dont book with them?
Thanks

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Indy- Croc, Hippo or elephant. If you fire, you have bought it.

Everything else, no blood, then a miss can be 'assumed'. But I have noticed that the particularly the tribal area game scouts will make a darn good search for blood...they want to force you to make a real effort to find any wounded dangerous game in their home area, and as the trophy fee goes to the tribal council- they are desperately keen for you to pay...

This thread has been intriguing. Shot (at) a gemsbok from about 85 yds. It made the typical motion of being heartshot (also saw the dust rise from bullet impact), but it ran off with the herd. We walked out to "get" it, but no animal and not a drop of blood to be found. Had excellent PH and apprentice PH and two trackers. Went back to get dogs. Spent the rest of the day and the following half-day looking for it. No blood, no scent for the dogs, no nothing.

I was charged for the animal despite no blood or locating of animal. I didn't think twice about not paying the fee because all (including me) saw the dust from the bullet hit and the motion of a heartshot animal.

Is this forum saying that despite all this evidence, I should not have been charged since there was no blood? there is no question in my mind that I hit it, and payment was proper. When I look at my current gemsbok on the wall, I relive the above experience.

I was using a 300 Win Mag but do not recall the bullet. Is it possible the bullet just blew up without penetration (I've had this happen on feral donkeys at close range in Australia with one brand of premium bullet)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We normally have the No Blood No Pay rule,

And I say normally, but twice so far I have had clients shoot a animal, both Client and PH agreed that all indications were a hit, eithr animal went down, or reacted too a body shot, and no blood was found,

In both instances my clients PAID , OUT OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL, AS THEY FELT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY WAS THERE.

I did in the course of the hunt provide them with some other animal at a better rate as well, for shpwing my gratitude for them Manning up as it was

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost a nyala last year in Mozambique, paid in full. Hurt pride much more than pocketbook, and really a shame to lose any animal--but that animal was the whole point to the safari. Unfortunately it does happen. Tend to agree with Ganyana that the "crocodile rule" should be extended to elephant and hippo. Same premise on hippo; there won't be blood. On elephant, absent backup a failed brain shot is a lost elephant, and there often isn't a drop of blood. We would be better off in North America if wounded animals count on the license!

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wounded a wildebeest in Limpopo on my first African hunt. I knew he needed another one, but the PH wouldn't let me shoot. I protested and he said it was going down and didn't need another one.

That's the last time I'll ever adhere to that statement. We hunted that animal for three days and it was picked up a few weeks after I left. Literally made me sick, and not about the money. I paid, but I will never recommend that outfitter to anyone. I have the skull on a plaque to remind me that experience is a dear teacher. The PH was worried about bloodshot meat from a second shot costing him money at the meat market. That sort of stuff does happen in RSA.

If a PH ever says that to me again, my reply will be, "If he walks, you've bought the animal."

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first African trip, from which I've just returned, another hunter on the same property wounded an Impala while bowhunting from a blind. This occurred three days before I left the property, and I know that they were still tracking that animal, and still apparently finding small amounts of blood, when I left. The hunter, who managed to continue displaying a goodly amount of that inane superiority complex from which many bowhunters suffer, never stopped hunting and never followed up the animal at all, beyond a cursory search at the time of the shot. I don't know the outcome and certainly hope that he was charged the trophy fee.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:

FB

Would you mind telling us who the outfit was so we dont book with them?
Thanks

Matt, the guide in Argentina was called Guillermo Nunes if my memory serves me correctly. I booked through a freind who did everything in his power to put things right, but sometimes you just get burnt. It's all an experience that you learn through.

I cut the guy back on a lot of the cash, strictly only paying for what we had received, but the reality was that I was happy to pay more to get more.... Apparently it is a major problem in Argentina, and my freind has since stopped dealling in the country.

Last I heard the guide had gone out of business and vanished. A large number of trophies are sat in Buenos Aires and waiting to be sent but now one can get them released because the guide has not paid the relevant costs.

I will go back to Argentina sometime as I have unfinished business with an Axis deer but I'll be a lot more careful this time on who I deal with.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going on a self guided hunt in Cameroon in February for buffalo. My dear wife just this morning told me to do a will in case... ' the buffalo wounds and loses me. ' Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have paid the fee on a wounded and lost buffalo. Zimbabwe PH Mitch Bunce and crew worked valantly for 3 days trying to find my bull. I could not have asked for a more thorough and complete effort.

The policy requiring one to pay for a wounded and lost trophy is entirely appropriate, whether on a free range or private operation.

I agree with CB that some form of this policy should apply here in the states, but given our way of hunting it'd be impossible to enforce .

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I lucked out last year on a crocodile trophy fee, if you want to call missing a nice 15-16 foot croc lucking out. In the Caprivi I tried an ill advised shot from a boat and the rocking from the waves caused the shot to go below his chin on the river bank. I didn't know this at the time and I felt sick when he slipped into the water. Fortunately I dug the slug out of the ground as proof that no hit was made. I've still got that slug that saved me $2,000 on a shelf at home.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wounded and lost a Lion we happened upon during an elephant hunt in Zim......and yes I paid the $4000 (2004) trophy fee. This is fortunately the only animal I have ever lost in Africa after 4 trips.......

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote