Find
Notify
Tools

Postcard
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
What's the picture in the postcard? Any information on it eg where, when, what animals etc?

It is a little small to see properly, but clearly is a group game scene.

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
NitroX

Yes I was also wondering about that scene ..

To keep this thread going on Africa Hunting (postcards & letters) theme, I have posted a genuine hunting letter from a famous past Africa White Hunter Fletcher Jamieson ...

Merry Christmas to All

Cheers, Peter

* The letter above reads:

Zambezi Valley, 13th July 1934.
I also enclose a tail-hair of an Elephant which nearly cost me my life.

This rifle, No.17892 .500/.450 has been one of my best friends. She has pulled me through many an encounter with Elephants, Rhino and Buffalo. She is one of the most accurate rifles in the world and since being in my hands has achieved a very fine record. I am positive that as far as her record is concerned she is second to none. I have shot with her the following species of animals, Elephants, Rhino, Buffalo, Hippo, Leopards, Eland, Kudu, Sable, Roan, Impala, Warthog, Bush-pig, Crocodiles, Snakes, Hartebeest, Baboons, Duiker & Bush Buck. But I have used her mostly for Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo & Hippo, & find that she is all that one could with for. My battery of rifles consists of one Double Barrel .577 Express, One D.B. .500/.450 Express, one 6.5 Mannlicher Schonauer, and a 25/20 Winchester. This I consider as the most efficient battery of rifles any Big Game hunter could wish for. Whoever may be the proud possessor of this rifle after I am finished with it please treasure it for my sake.. ........ F C. Fletcher Jamieson. Big Game Hunter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think Nickudu posted that postcard here a couple years ago. Where he found it I do not know, but you could ask him.

Peter,

Thanks for posting the letter of Jamieson's. Too cool. Seems he was a rifle-nut also. Maybe that is why he and Taylor were friends. Where did you find it?

"Whoever is the pround possesser of this rifle after I am finished with it please treasure it for my sake."

It is almost enough to make an old man cry.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Thanks for posting the letter; it is probably the most heart felt description of a rifle I have ever read.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
A cool thing some owners of old shotguns or rifles used to do was to drill a hole into the butt of their rifle or gun, with a plug to close it. Into this hole they would keep their licence or other notes.

What is cool is not defacing the firearm, but finding an old gun, and an eighty year old licence, or purchase invoice, or just some evidence of whom owned the firearm before you.

I think it is really nice to know the history of one of these old "vintage" rifles or shotguns, who made it, who first purchased it, and others since, what did they use it for, shooting rabbits in the back paddock, or hunting rogue elephant in India and man eating tigers ....

The romance of using an old vintage piece as compared to the latest marketing gee-whiz gimicktry that does almost nothing much better anyway,

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Nick found the postcard on the internet a few years back and sent me the .jpg to use as a banner.

We do not know anything about it. If anyone here does know it would be interesting but given the age, I'd be amazed.

Don

Posts: 26549 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray said he had the time of his life at that party! Big Grin

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Way cool!

There are some interesting "forensic" clues to where we can maybe figure some of this out ourselves.

Tradition hunting gear? Seems like the hunting party are all using the same sort of sticks. Are they arrows? Spears?

Garb, do the outfits look like something tribe specific?

I think I can make out a horse in the background. What about the mountain/hill? It's probably still out there...

Looks like one of the dead bodies has a ringed tail. Some kind of primate? Identifying that animal may help with a country or specific location.

I see a spike-like horn on one of the hooved beasts? Diukers? Small impala?

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
To those with an interest //

I was (contacted by someone in Zimbabawe whom shall remain nameless (out of privacy) and they asked me to sell this rifle on their behalf, hence all the information ...

The rifle sold a few years ago for a princely sum (undisclosed) BUT it was well over $200,000

The rifle of Fletcher's ...........

What's on Offer

One 1902 Holland & Holland .500/.450 Nitro Express Royal Double Sidelock rifle.

Thirty rounds of ammunition.

The spare firing pins.

One ivory sight.

The cleaning rod, oil and solvent flask.

Bronze Barrel brush and pull through tools.
Firing pin removal tool and original recoil rod (now replaced).

The original letter from C.F. Jamieson found in the recoil rod.

The original elephant hair included in the letter written in 1934.

A copy of "African Rifles & Cartridges" by John Taylor.

A copy of "The African Sporting Gazette and International Traveller", Issue no. 3, giving an account of Fletcher Jamieson and the rifle.

A copy of "Magnum Magazine" also giving an account of the rifle.

The Rifle's Specifications ..

The rifle next appeared in the 1980's when Dr. Wright possessed the weapon. I obtained the rifle from Dr. Wright's Estate after it had been in a police armoury. On a business trip to the United Kingdom I took the rifle back to Holland & Holland to have it restored. Some five months later it returned in pristine condition, so much so that I had to carefully scrutinise the rifle to confirm it was the same weapon. It shoots and handles exactly as one would expect from a weapon manufactured by one of the world's finest manufacturers - Holland & Holland.

Holland & Holland Nitro Express Royal, Hammerless Sidelock, Double Cordite Rifle.

Calibre .500/.450, 70 grains Cordite and 365 grains Nickel coated bullet, Case 3 ¼"

Rifle No.17892

First test fired 8th May 1902

Finished at factory 15th May 1902

Length 15 + 14 ¾ + 15 5/16

Cast off 1/8 + 1/8 +1/16 +3/16

Weight of Rifle 9lb, 9 ½ ozs

Bend 2 + 1½

Pulls 4 + 5

The History

The rifle was first test fired at the Holland & Holland factory on the 8th of May 1902 and testing was completed on the 15th of May 1902. It was sold to Mr. Phelps who later sold it to Mr. Kirkley. Eventually Crawford Fletcher Jamieson acquired the rifle and it is then its prominence as a fine hunting weapon became evident. Fletcher Jamieson used the rifle to shoot many species of animals, accounts of which are recorded in John "Pondoro" Taylor's book, "African Rifles and Cartridges."

"African Rifles and Cartridges" was the best known of several books published by John Taylor and has become the recognised authority on big game hunting in Africa. The rifle is frequently referred to and examples are given throughout the book and features in most of its photographs with its trophies. The most dramatic account of this rifle's performance relates how two Cape Buffalo were killed outright with a single round.

The combination of Fletcher Jamieson and this Holland & Holland Royal contributed to Holland & Holland's fame as fine rifle and shotgun manufacturers. Fletcher Jamieson & his .500/450 Royal have been immortalised in "Äfrican Rifles and Cartridges" and have become part of Africa's folklore.
What's so famous about this particular rifle ?

Several things: Firstly it belonged to Fletcher Jamieson, who was one of Rhodesia's most famous hunters, known as "Chimpongani - The One Who Never Misses". As you can see from the letter Fletcher kept in the butt, much of that reputation was gained from this rifle. In his own words, "She is one of the most accurate rifles in the world ...I am positive that as far as her record is concerned, she is second to none... she is all that one could wish for."

Secondly, this gun was used as a benchmark to set standards and requirements for big game hunting. Fletcher's friend, John Taylor used Fletcher's photographs of this rifle throughout his book, "African Rifles and Cartridges". This is the original handbook for African hunting specifications which made Holland & Holland guns famous. It is the most publicised African hunting rifle.

Thirdly, the rifle has recently been completely renovated by Holland & Holland and is in pristine condition.

How do you know it is the authentic rifle of Fletcher Jamieson?
We have the original letter written by Fletcher, which was found in the stock with the elephant hair he refers to in the letter. The hand writing has been verified by his friends and family.

Is it true that Fletcher shot 7 buffalo with 5 shots using this rifle?
Yes, amazingly enough, it's completely true.

Is it still so accurate?
Yes, and the test results from Holland & Holland in 1997 confirm this.

Does the letter and the elephant hair come with the gun?
Yes, they do.

Is ammunition still available?
Yes, the ammunition can be purchased from Westley Richards of Birmingham.

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Come on, Peter, where did the letter come from and the copy also?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Isn't the guy on the far left JudgeG?
jumping

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Come on, Peter, where did the letter come from and the copy also?

WILL

I have NOW included all that information in the thread explanations above, including a PLAIN TEXT explantion (reprint) of the letter for those like myself with shall we say less than 20/20 eyesight (-:

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great thread. The letter, the postcard and all. . .I enjoy this type of variety on AR.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:

I was (contacted by someone in Zimbabawe whom shall remain nameless (out of privacy) and they asked me to sell this rifle on their behalf, hence all the information ...

The rifle sold a few years ago for a princely sum (undisclosed) BUT it was well over $200,000

Peter

Are you saying you helped sell Fletcher Jamieson's .500/.450?

Do you have any photographs you can post? Thanks.

John H.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:

Peter

Are you saying you helped sell Fletcher Jamieson's .500/.450?

Do you have any photographs you can post? Thanks.

Hi NitroX

Unfortunately I was not the consultant whom secured the sale. I was one of a few others whom were also assigned the opportunity.

I personally set up a webpage to help promote the sale BUT there were others publications and people whom were also involved.

I dont know whom finally made the sale oR in fact who bought the rifle, I wish I knew but it seems to be somewhat of a mystery

All the best to yourself & family

Cheers, Peter