THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What's your favorite light rifle for plains game??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite light rifle for plains game??
 Login/Join

posted
I have used a Ruger M77 in 7x57 for everything up to Kudu/Elk. I usually use a 140 grain Barnes xlc at 2800 fps and it has accounted for more 1-shot kills than all my other rifles together. Of course, I've hunted more with the 7x57, so that skews the numbers a little. [Wink] I have used a 30-06, 7 Mag, 270, 300 win, 358 Norma, and 375 H&H, but keep going back to the "Little 7" because I know that if I do my part, it'll always do the job with a minimum of fuss and kick... I like to use the 160gr XLC for the bigger critters like Kudu, Eland, Elk, but at that point I usually just pick-up my 375 and have done with it......but if afield and I only have the 7x57, I know it'll do the job..... comments????? opinions????

Posts: 3 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Confidence in one's weapon is something that no caliber or bullet weight can make up for. I personally have the same feelings as you for my "pet" rifle and caliber, a M70 in 300mag. Yes it kicks more and makes more noise than any lesser caliber but I shoot it well. It has accounted for so much game in so many places that I would feel lonely w/o it being along! I wouldn't care to shoot a buffalo with it, like my pal Allen Day was forced to do with his, but anything else is right up it's alley.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have the same feelings for my Steyr Scout in .308 Win. I mostly use 180 grain bullets, and whatever I hit dies.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
For a light rifle intended for medium game I share HunterJim's confidence in the .308 Steyr Scout with 180-grain Nosler Partitions at 2500 fps.

For Africa, though, I'd have to choose the .376 Steyr Scout with 300-grain Woodleigh SP Protected Points at 2300 fps as my "go to" rifle, just in case I have to also deal with something nasty.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi CK:

My confidence companion is a Remington LSS 300 RUM, shooting a factory 180 grn. Nosler Partition @ 3350 FPS. It hits like the hammer of Thor.

Had 5 one shot kills in Africa and two in Montana, one being a Huge Bull Elk. This rifle just flat out shoots, sub MOA with factory ammo since the day I bought it.

The only thing I ever did to the rifle was a trigger job and a removable custom break.

A Leopard is next up on it's hit parade in 2004.

Regards.... Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have been greatly influenced by Jack O'Connor, and his writings about the 270.

So I went and built me a custom rifle on a REmington 700 action, and chambered it for the 270 Ackley.

I have taken this on 3 safaris, and have shot all the plains game animals with it except an eland. Worked like a dream with both the Barnes X 130 grain bullet and the Trophy Bonded Bear CLaw 140 grains.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The .300 Winchester Magnum is my favorite plainsgame cartridge, no doubt about it. My favorite rifle chambered for it is a custom Model 70 with a 24" Kreiger barrel, a McMillan stock, and a 3.5-10X Leica scope. This rifle shoots extremely well, feeds perfectly, never changes zero, and never lets me down.

As John indicated, I have taken two cape buffalo with the .300 Winchester (180 gr. Fail-Safes) with spine shots from about 100 yds. out, and these bulls went down instantly; as soon as the rifle went off, or so it seemed. I would not have used it in the first place, except that my .458 went on the fritz and I had no other rifle available to use. I've also taken a lion with this cartridge that was also an instantaneous kill (180 gr. Fail-Safe again), plus leopard.

Leopard is easy meat for any .300, but despite the results I've had before on 'buff and lion, I'd never recommend any .300 for these animals, and I'll be using a .416 Remington on them in the future.

But for plainsgame, I simply can't imagine a more satisfying or appropriate rifle than a good .300 of some sort with strong 180 or 200 gr. bullets. I've used the .300 Winchester on all manner of plainsgame from Kirk's dik dik to Cape eland, plus sable, kudu, zebra, etc., etc. Almost everything has gone down at the shot or else ran about fifty yards at most. And yet every once in a while someone will imply (or state) that the .300 kills no better an '06, or somehow it isn't up to African plainsagme. On both counts, experience has taught me otherwise.

Here's another statement that's just bound to put someone in a huff: I have seen no difference in killing power on plainsgame between the .300 and the .375 H&H, and I've taken the same selection of animals with each. The .300 shoots flatter, kicks less, is lighter to carry, and I'd just-plain rather use it. I'd also rather take it in tandem with a .416 when I need more punch than the .300 offers for buffalo and stuff rather than just take a .375.

AD

posted Hide Post
A long-discontinued lefthand Remington 700 FS chambered for the .30-06.

This is my "Death Ray"; whatever I aim it at, dies.

It doesn't seem to have any misses 'in it', and if I am not mindful of the fact that I have a whole slew of other rifles, would use it for almost all my big game hunting.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I second Allen's motion for the .300 magnums!

My favorite is a .300 Jarrett with 200 gr. Nosler Partitions at 3,000 fps.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everybody, ALL great mentions..I like the 30-06 but I seldom do these days because it is so predictable, it kills what you shoot everytime...Same with a .270.

I have alway had an affair with the neat little .308 and it's a o6 clone in the field..

The 300's all, and I prefer the 300 H&H, and don't ask why because my reasoning makes since to some and not to others, but all the 300's perform and are an extension of the 06 and 308, no light praise here...

The 7x57 has always held a special place with me and always will..I have shot Cape Buffalo with it and I have shot deer, elk, duiker and what not along with a few rock chucks and jack rabbits, with a good handload its as good as a .308 or 30-06 any day...

Every one knows how I feel about the 9.3's, they are tops in my book...

But my all time favorite for plainsgame is the .338 Win. with a 210 Nosler at 3005 FPS with a cup and half of old surplus military 4831, the powder that Jack built. Combine this with a 300 gr. Woodliegh RN, a pocket full of solids from Bridger Bullets, and come what may I can handle it..

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote