New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well they are after me now.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Among my 14 years overseas living and working in South America, Africa and Asia are travels extensively in 70 countries. lived in Vietnam for 5 years.

My company there in Vietnam established in 1931 - founded 1857. They teamed with the French Colonials and operated up to the 2nd world war. After the war the French resumed and tried to re-establish their Indochina Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Vietnam split North vs South. In 1959 our Americans bought out the French interest and I was sent to manage the company. The French began to pull out. I hunted with some French PH's for a brief period until they left. Also hunted with individual reidents privately.

Game was abundant. Plantation French hunted Gaur on the plantions. I was invited to visit the Montanard villages up in the mountains to hunt tigers. These were very primitive people semi nomadic. Tigers were raiding their villages.

Fast forward. After the war of independence up to present there has been a70% seventy percent decline in tigers.

In India where I also visited the tiger population is shrinking rapidly and only a token number remain compared to the old days. In the soviet Union the same is occurring.

Polal bear habit is in trouble. Global warming is melting the ice. Their future is dismal at best.

Same with the elephants, Shrinking steadily and inexorably.

Rhinos are in serious trouble and declining rapidly.

The Africans have proven pitifully inept at stopping the decimation.

Although I agree that the numbers of these species taken by legitimate hunters is small compared to the poachers, illegal hunters, natives that subsistence hunt to eat, none the less I personally no longer participate.

At my age I hung it up. I no longer hunt nor have any interest in same. I had my share and enjoyed it.

Back in my early days game was not in such critical, precarious danger of falling into the irreversible path to extinction.

Deplorably some of the overzealous pseudo experts were unmasked as flagrant prevaricators,liars, unconscionable frauds. That only made the matters more confusing and difficult.

Bottom line, the world is rapidly overpopulating, climate is changing, matters of wildlife are unequivocally declining at an accelerated pace.

I didn't say no one should shoot certain species. I said I will not any longer.

I'm also a very old timer on this website dating back to it's beginnings and I learned the hard way a long time ago to avoid provoking and exacerbation differences of opinion and arguments. It is counter productive and serves nothing beneficial.

In the coming decades your children, grand children and future hunters will have only a small fraction of the opportunities that you have today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Larry,

Actually, their comments were very mild. You see more venom on this forum between hunters. I wouldn't even think for a minute on these comments.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It bothered me more that there was a FB page that I had zero knowledge of.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetibbe:
Among my 14 years overseas living and working in South America, Africa and Asia are travels extensively in 70 countries. lived in Vietnam for 5 years.

My company there in Vietnam established in 1931 - founded 1857. They teamed with the French Colonials and operated up to the 2nd world war. After the war the French resumed and tried to re-establish their Indochina Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Vietnam split North vs South. In 1959 our Americans bought out the French interest and I was sent to manage the company. The French began to pull out. I hunted with some French PH's for a brief period until they left. Also hunted with individual reidents privately.

Game was abundant. Plantation French hunted Gaur on the plantions. I was invited to visit the Montanard villages up in the mountains to hunt tigers. These were very primitive people semi nomadic. Tigers were raiding their villages.

Fast forward. After the war of independence up to present there has been a70% seventy percent decline in tigers.

In India where I also visited the tiger population is shrinking rapidly and only a token number remain compared to the old days. In the soviet Union the same is occurring.

Polal bear habit is in trouble. Global warming is melting the ice. Their future is dismal at best.

Although I agree that the numbers of these species taken by legitimate hunters is small compared to the poachers, illegal hunters, natives that subsistence hunt to eat, none the less I personally no longer participate.

At my age I hung it up. I no longer hunt nor have any interest in same. I had my share and enjoyed it.

Back in my early days game was not in such critical, precarious danger of falling into the irreversible path to extinction.

Deplorably some of the overzealous pseudo experts were unmasked as flagrant prevaricators,liars, unconscionable frauds. That only made the matters more confusing and difficult.

Bottom line, the world is rapidly overpopulating, climate is changing, matters of wildlife are unequivocally declining at an accelerated pace.

I'm also a very old timer on this website dating back to it's beginnings and I learned the hard way a long time ago to avoid provoking and exacerbation differences of opinion and arguments. It is counter productive and serves nothing beneficial.

In the coming decades your children, grand children and future hunters will have only a small fraction of the opportunities that you have today.

A. Thanks for making me look like an optimist. 'Not easily done.

B. The polar ice melting is a myth.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

For what it's worth, I concur.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
quote:

A. Thanks for making me look like an optimist. 'Not easily done.

come to see on the artic sea ... you will not believe it lol ....

Posts: 1877 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
It bothered me more that there was a FB page that I had zero knowledge of.

10-4 on that!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

^ Wow... do you really believe that?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
quote:

look the locations lol ....

Posts: 1877 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Of course, we could argue all day about causality and short term vs. long term trends but.....

http://nsidc.org/cgi-bin/bist/...seaice_extent_trends

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

That said, on a truly pessimistic note (or optimistic, depending on how you look at it), we might be wise to remember that 99.9% of all species to have lived on this planet are currently extinct. The environment changes, random things happen, species die, new species evolve. The world and some new and probably really interesting new set of creatures will be here several million years from now regardless of whether we cause an extinction or two today or not and certainly regardless of whether we temporarily (in relative terms) raise or lower the global temperature a few degrees. We, of course, will also go the way of the Dodo in relatively short order (at least in terms of geologic time)...and that is inevitable while also probably being for the best. Sleep tight gents....all this is temporary. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
I refuse to get on Facebook for the same reason. My business (I am a veterinarian) has a page, but I do not. Shortly after the page was started we got a nasty post from a woman who obviously read my short bio (which states one of my hobbies is hunting) and made the worn out statement "he is a vet and he hunts?". Wetibbe, keep in mind the number one reason the bison were nearly wiped out was to take away the food supply from the Indians. No different, IMHO, from bombing the enemies' supply lines in one of our wars.

While hunters did kill off the last remaining herds for the various reasons above...research has shown that hunters only killed about 10-25% of what once roamed the N A continent...tuberculosis and brucellosis is what wiped out the buffalo (N A bison)...NOT hunters. Hunters just shot out the remaining herds to starve the Indians onto reservations but also because the cattle ranchers wanted them gone.

Shame that history books don't tell the PROVEN truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
quote:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/...ing-theories-implode

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd:

This is precisely what I was taking about as to the disingenuous charlatan, pseudo so called scientists dispensing false and unsupportable information.

I do not understand why they do it nor what they hope to gain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by drj:
I refuse to get on Facebook for the same reason. My business (I am a veterinarian) has a page, but I do not. Shortly after the page was started we got a nasty post from a woman who obviously read my short bio (which states one of my hobbies is hunting) and made the worn out statement "he is a vet and he hunts?". Wetibbe, keep in mind the number one reason the bison were nearly wiped out was to take away the food supply from the Indians. No different, IMHO, from bombing the enemies' supply lines in one of our wars.

While hunters did kill off the last remaining herds for the various reasons above...research has shown that hunters only killed about 10-25% of what once roamed the N A continent...tuberculosis and brucellosis is what wiped out the buffalo (N A bison)...NOT hunters. Hunters just shot out the remaining herds to starve the Indians onto reservations but also because the cattle ranchers wanted them gone.

I'm a very ardent aficionado of early history, I have books stacked up to the ceiling. I had never read those assertions that you postulate.

The morality and propriety of our ancestors invading and decimating other habitat is NOT the agenda here. Save it for some other time.

However, I do wish to ask you to help me understand and reconcile the existence of 43 million bison, a great proliferation surviving the described maladies and the coincidental demise due to shooting.

Mind you I am not challenging in the least. I just don't understand.

I suppose a DVM is a Veterinarian. If such I can assume that you and I, as a student of Earth History, are affectionately interested in biology and the species as well as their status, past, present history and future.

Thanks for your interest. I always like to exchange ideas. Maybe I will learn something more that I didn't know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non-hunting creeps.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HOLY SHIT.

I received and email from Larry a few days ago from Larry and was shocked. Finally I get around to looking this morning and Facebook has done me the honor of setting not one but three pages for my business. All without my consent or knowledge.

It is hard enough to stay on top of on line anonymous reviews now this.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a safari TV show for 10 years. Welcome to my world Bwana!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had never read those assertions that you postulate.

Sam Fadala wrote on this idea a while ago (disease, not bullets wiped out the bison)

http://www.petersenshunting.co...-to-near-extinction/

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by drj:

I'm a very ardent aficionado of early history, I have books stacked up to the ceiling. I had never read those assertions that you postulate.

The morality and propriety of our ancestors invading and decimating other habitat is NOT the agenda here. Save it for some other time.

However, I do wish to ask you to help me understand and reconcile the existence of 43 million bison, a great proliferation surviving the described maladies and the coincidental demise due to shooting.

Mind you I am not challenging in the least. I just don't understand.

I suppose a DVM is a Veterinarian. If such I can assume that you and I, as a student of Earth History, are affectionately interested in biology and the species as well as their status, past, present history and future.

Thanks for your interest. I always like to exchange ideas. Maybe I will learn something more that I didn't know.

Yes sir...I am a veterinarian.

Dr. Jim Derr, a geneticist for Texas A&M, mapped the genome of the Bison. From his DNA work and statistics on historical data on the amount of powder, shot, & rifles available...he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that hunters could not have killed anymore than 10-25% of the original herds. DNA analysis proved that the herds died off from tuberculosis and brucellosis and the hunters just finished them off. Further...he proved that the amount of bison removed by hunters was actually sustainable if the herds were healthy.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:

For what it's worth, I concur.

For what it's worth.....I don't

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a few links to information on polar ice caps. It appears that the north polar ice cap actually grew in size this year, and that Antarctica's also increased in coverage again.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/a...ice-cap-60-photo.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...p-grows-29-year.html

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/ear...c-antarctic-ice.html

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys:

Two issues here:

#1. Bison.

While I'm not in a position to dispute any of the comments here let me say that this exchange has only served to confuse me even further.

I wasn't there during the shootings BUT - I have read that when the railroad tracks were laid, Bison would cross and the stream/herd was miles and hours long! Passengers would shoot from the windows for ???

I'm into the fields of geology and earth history so I have understood the past in hundreds of thousands/millions of years. 43 million bison. That's a lot ! Tuberculosis and brucellosis certainly didn't seem to put much of a dent in the population. *( Unless there were, at one time, 143 million !!! ). I think there is more to the story. Seems to me that the bison were doing just fine for many centuries before the buffalo hunters came along and put an end to it in just a couple of decades or so.

#2. The polar ice caps.

It's so sad that some of the scientists have been caught DELIBERATELY manufacturing false, misleading information about the melting of the ice and global warming.

There are two sad truths:

1. I think the scientific community doesn't actually have enough information, or history, to make accurate long term predictions.

2. I read and hear lots of very compelling physical facts about the results of the changing weather patterns. Reality is everywhere.

In the Northern reaches of Canada the ice is melting up in the ocean where the old timers tried to navigate back in the 1,800's. The permafrost is melting. Glaciers are retreating at an alarming rate. The boreal forests are changing as well as the insects proliferating. The polar bears are finding it increasingly difficult to find ice. Around Churchill they are starving more. Birds are returning from migration earlier. Mt. Kilimanjaro's snow is melting and will be gone in another 20 years. In Italy Venice's water level is rising and the city will be lost some time in the coming decades.

A huge chunk of the Antarctic ice shelf broke off recently and it is breaking up.

All of the factors affecting our earth are extremely complex. The orbits, movements of the sun, moon, planets have all been meticulously plotted and they run in cycles from thousands of years to millions. There is nodding, or nutation, precession, rotation. Orbits are elliptical and change routinely over long periods of time.

Bottom line - all of the hard facts and reality are there. What I haven't been able to understand is why some of the scientists persist in cloaking the truth.

It takes all kinds. Some actually believe in Sasquatch even though there has NEVER been one single bone, body, grave, dwelling, cave, hut, bed, fossil, tool, garment found. But the remains of other ancestors are found regularly all over the world. Incidentally including the old, original natives that crossed the Asian land bridge 15,000 years ago in the Pacific Northwest.!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE INTERNET IS A MICROPHONE FOR IDIOTS!

I am thinking about going dark. Just too much negative stuff. Sorry about your troubles Larry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes you wonder: if all the hunting was banned and the animals all poached and destroyed, who would the greenies blame?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion:
1) "Hunters" had no more impact on the bison than "soldiers" contributed to the Holocaust.
2) Global warming, et. al., may be happening, but the real question is can man do anything about it? I personally do not believe in "man made" global warming. Too much fake evidence out there.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by muttleysgone:
Just a few links to information on polar ice caps. It appears that the north polar ice cap actually grew in size this year, and that Antarctica's also increased in coverage again.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/a...ice-cap-60-photo.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...p-grows-29-
year.html

Mutt :
Thanks for you input and link each of which I visited and digested.

As I said previously I am mystified as to why responsible scientists deliberately engage in false and unsupportable propaganda.

I'm only telling you and fellow hunters that I am a very old hunter of game on 4 continents and I will say again that the sport is headed for grave peril in the coming decades. It will be a shadow of it's current situation.

I lay this squarely on the door step of the African incompetent game authorities who are albeit trying but not up to the task.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys:

Two issues here:

#1. Bison.

While I'm not in a position to dispute any of the comments here let me say that this exchange has only served to confuse me even further.

I wasn't there during the shootings BUT - I have read that when the railroad tracks were laid, Bison would cross and the stream/herd was miles and hours long! Passengers would shoot from the windows for ???

I'm into the fields of geology and earth history so I have understood the past in hundreds of thousands/millions of years. 43 million bison. That's a lot ! Tuberculosis and brucellosis certainly didn't seem to put much of a dent in the population. *( Unless there were, at one time, 143 million !!! ). I think there is more to the story. Seems to me that the bison were doing just fine for many centuries before the buffalo hunters came along and put an end to it in just a couple of decades or so.

#2. The polar ice caps.

It's so sad that some of the scientists have been caught DELIBERATELY manufacturing false, misleading information about the melting of the ice and global warming.

There are two sad truths:

1. I think the scientific community doesn't actually have enough information, or history, to make accurate long term predictions.

2. I read and hear lots of very compelling physical facts about the results of the changing weather patterns. Reality is everywhere.

In the Northern reaches of Canada the ice is melting up in the ocean where the old timers tried to navigate back in the 1,800's. The permafrost is melting. Glaciers are retreating at an alarming rate. The boreal forests are changing as well as the insects proliferating. The polar bears are finding it increasingly difficult to find ice. Around Churchill they are starving more. Birds are returning from migration earlier. Mt. Kilimanjaro's snow is melting and will be gone in another 20 years. In Italy Venice's water level is rising and the city will be lost some time in the coming decades.

A huge chunk of the Antarctic ice shelf broke off recently and it is breaking up.

All of the factors affecting our earth are extremely complex. The orbits, movements of the sun, moon, planets have all been meticulously plotted and they run in cycles from thousands of years to millions. There is nodding, or nutation, precession, rotation. Orbits are elliptical and change routinely over long periods of time.

Bottom line - all of the hard facts and reality are there. What I haven't been able to understand is why some of the scientists persist in cloaking the truth.

It takes all kinds. Some actually believe in Sasquatch even though there has NEVER been one single bone, body, grave, dwelling, cave, hut, bed, fossil, tool, garment found. But the remains of other ancestors are found regularly all over the world. Incidentally including the old, original natives that crossed the Asian land bridge 15,000 years ago in the Pacific Northwest.!!

Wetibbe,
The herds were naïve to TB and brucellosis. The diseases did NOT occur on the NA continent until Europeans brought them in the form of infected cattle. The immuno-naivety of the wild bison herd led to rapid spread and decline when European cattle brought the diseases...beginning with the Spanish. The same cattle that evolved to be the Texas Longhorn and overtook some bison range in South Texas but intermingled with bison started the diseases into the herds and that is when the decline begin. As more European cattle came into the continent...the herds became uniformly infected with no genetic code for any immunity. These diseases reduced the herds by 75-90% before the government sponsored buffalo hunts even began.

Historical data and statistical analysis of data using liberal figures prove that with the powder and shot available at the time...the most that hunters could have killed of the original herds was about 25%.

DNA codes of the surviving Bison of today unveil the truth of what actually started the mass decline in numbers and it was...disease...specifically...tuberculosis and brucellosis.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Markschu:
Makes you wonder: if all the hunting was banned and the animals all poached and destroyed, who would the greenies blame?

Bush

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane:

Thanks. Now that you mention it I do have some hazy recollection about diseases brought over from Europe. But I don't recall it being explained in such positive detail.

Have the tables turned? Is it not true that cattlemen living on the borders of Yellowstone dispatch Bison immediately if they cross and co-mingle with cattle ?

What I do recall vividly is the diseases introduced by the Conquistadors They wiped out the vast majority in some villages.

So I can buy the speculation that cattle diseases devastated the Bison.

But here's a clinker. The cattle herds fared much better than the Bison !!!!!

Bison were shot off and cattle were driven to market in large herds. Thus the percentile of each - beyond the natural afflictions - was or was not in parity.

Whether the shooting of Bison was primarily responsible, or secondarily, supplemental to already weakened herds, the Bison came within a few hundred of becoming extinct.

If we go way back in history to the time of the mastadons and wooly mammoths, 25,000 years, their demise is attributed to hunting too.

Changer of pace. Around my parts the deer, bears and turkeys have rebounded spectacularly from the old days back in the 1,700's - 1,800's. When I was a boy they were pretty scarce. Now they are pests everywhere. Some have to be culled. They do best in high density populated areas where hunting is prohibited.

In hunting season the deer move in close to houses. In some public parks, where hunting is prohibited, the overpopulation has caused the deer to downsize to 90 pounds. But there is lots of fine and expensive bushes and shrubs to eat over winter.

People, including me, feed the turkeys over winter. They are now roosting on roof tops and on cars, defecating and scratching.

Black bears are overpopulated and have to be culled periodically.

Canada geese are hugely overpopulating and big pests, In some areas they are everywhere.

Elk have been re-introduced to some states where they were wiped out over a century or more ago.

But these are spotty areas and not really material to the overall big picture of the declines in numbers so far as availability for harvesting by hunting is concerned.

And guess who did all of this ? Hunters through conservation efforts, money and cooperation with Government.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

If we go way back in history to the time of the mastadons and wooly mammoths, 25,000 years, their demise is attributed to hunting too.

Considering the human population on the planet at the time, do you really believe that primitive man, using primitive weapons such as spears, actually caused the wolly mammoths to become extinct instead of a natural consequence of NON MAN MADE CLIMATE CHANGE?

I've heard this theory floated around lately as well. Seems to me to be nothing more than another BS story postulated by the anti hunting crowd.

From recent comments on this forum, I'm starting to think Greenpeace and PETA are getting through to some of you guys!

Then again, here is PROOF of man contributing to the extinction of dinosaurs!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

From recent comments on this forum, I'm starting to think Greenpeace and PETA are getting through to some of you guys!

So are you saying Todd that turkeys do not have rights and people should not be charged with murder at Thanksgiving? I am so confused.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

So are you saying Todd that turkeys do not have rights and people should not be charged with murder at Thanksgiving? I am so confused.

lol

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Glad to see Lane's post......... some of them seem to be a bit distracted and wander. Maybe it is just me being up way too late and tired from a very long day.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If we go way back in history to the time of the mastodons and wooly mammoths, 25,000 years, their demise is attributed to hunting too.

Considering the human population on the planet at the time, do you really believe that primitive man, using primitive weapons such as spears, actually caused the wolly mammoths to become extinct instead of a natural consequence of NON MAN MADE CLIMATE CHANGE?

I've heard this theory floated around lately as well. Seems to me to be nothing more than another BS story postulated by the anti hunting crowd.

Then again, here is PROOF of man contributing to the extinction of dinosaurs!

Dog - damn !!! Fantastique. I'm overwhelmed with your evidence of the demise of the 125 million year old dinosaurs in photo with a m odern man. I just love this stuff !!! Wink

To answer your question I am a compelling skeptic based on many years of experience. I generally do not take most things at face value until I can see some convincing evidence.

Being into geology and earth history it is said that deciphering our earths past is like reading a book with many pages missing and burned. As a very old timer I date way back. In my lifetime I have seen an amazing advancement in information and knowledge about this planet. It's too lengthy to detail here but it is none the less awesome. I marvel at the new revelations decade by decade just in my lifetime. And how much smarter our scientists are becoming.

While I cannot truthfully say that I completely believe that our ancestor early Homo Sapiens, allied and predecessor Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon actually slaughtered the mammoth and mastodons into extinction, I am at the same time a believer in multiple circumstances.

However, I have little if any doubt that they were completely capable of hunting and taking down those prehistoric forefather of the elephants with great expertise and success.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

While I cannot truthfully say that I completely believe that our ancestor early Homo Sapiens, allied and predecessor Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon actually slaughtered the mammoth and mastodons into extinction, I am at the same time a believer in multiple circumstances.

However, I have little if any doubt that they were completely capable of hunting and taking down those prehistoric forefather of the elephants with great expertise and success.

Agreed but I have other concerns with this narrative. Yes, we live in the "information age" today but at the same time, I have to say we are now living in the "disinformation age" with the advent of social media and the radical polarization of left / right viewpoints.

The best information on the demise of the Mammoths points to a significant decline in their numbers due to shrinking habitat due to natural climate change. Then as their numbers were reduced to two small populations on isolated islands, as late as 3500BC or so, hunting contributed to eliminating those remaining individuals. IMO, that's a theory a critical thinker can find validity in.

BUT ... that's NOT what is typically put forth today. What we hear is that human hunters brought the Wooly Mammoth to extinction ... period. A statement completely out of context, used to "prove" to the masses how the evil hunters are the enemy of the planet.

On that, I call BS!!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agreed but I have other concerns with this narrative. Yes, we live in the "information age" today but at the same time, I have to say we are now living in the "disinformation age" with the advent of social media and the radical polarization of left / right viewpoints.

The best information on the demise of the Mammoths points to a significant decline in their numbers due to shrinking habitat due to natural climate change. Then as their numbers were reduced to two small populations on isolated islands, as late as 3500BC or so, hunting contributed to eliminating those remaining individuals. IMO, that's a theory a critical thinker can find validity in.

BUT ... that's NOT what is typically put forth today. What we hear is that human hunters brought the Wooly Mammoth to extinction ... period. A statement completely out of context, used to "prove" to the masses how the evil hunters are the enemy of the planet.

On that, I call BS!!

Todd,
You are accurate on all accounts.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you look at what the global warming believers say, they are relying on computer models and little if any unaltered empirical data.
Remember the "voodoo science" of AGW has as its goal, to take away your freedom, obtain more government grants and destroy companies they deem unacceptable, eg., "big oil".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should add that if you are a "true believer" I suggest you pickup a basic geologic history of the earth book and look back at 4.6 billion years of climatic upheaval. Then figure "modern man" has been here about 100,000 years. Then get back to us here on your thoughts.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that we only have good "scientific" records for less than a 100 years. 2020

J. Lane Easter, DVM