New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this item?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of many things I have received from a gentleman, now deciect. I know he hunted Kenya mostly, several times back in the 60's and 70's I believe. Looks to be a necklace of some kind with some neat bead work. Maybe part of it is broken off on the bottom. Backside appear to be thick leather and also has a wire clasp. About 6 inches in diamater. Anyone have any clues where it might be from and if it had any meaning? Thanks

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Not too sure but it looks like a Massi Necklace to me

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Massai necklace.

According to my askari, women's implement. Will try and see if I can get you more details.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty damn sure Philip has it right. Could also be one of the other Masai type tribes such as Samburu.

Funny how these old oddities crop up from time to time. A friend of mine has quite a collection, including an old brass necklace with a fabulously engraved container on it, (about the size of an old business card carrier). In it is a beautifully printed circumcision certificate from the British Government. Quite why they should have gone to the trouble and expense of printing certificates to prove where and when an African got the end of dick sliced off with a razor blade and quite why the African went to the trouble of making such a beautiful container to carry it around with him, God only knows! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
and quite why the African went to the trouble of making such a beautiful container to carry it around with him, God only knows! rotflmo

Defining moment in a mans life.....? beer

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some that look kinda like that one in north central Kenya. massi or samburu. you get a mixture of tribes in the area. so you get some small diffrences in necklace style

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote