Tools

Zambia - ZAWA head fired
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
My Dismissal is a Sad Development to Corporate Governance, Says Kabeta

The Post (Lusaka) - December 1, 2005 - Larry Moonze

FORMER Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) director general Hapenga Kabeta has said his dismissal is a sad development to corporate governance.

Reacting to his dismissal yesterday, Kabeta said although he had not been furnished with reasons why his services were dispensed with, the termination of his contract of employment by the ZAWA board was a sad development for corporate governance particularly as it related to statutory institutions.

Kabeta said he worked like a mad man to rectify the situation at the authority.

"We did our level best to change that organisation. Admittedly, the ZAWA director general's job is not easy. The termination of my contract of employment is obviously sad but I have a feeling a very heavy burden has come off my hat and there is life after ZAWA," Kabeta said.

He said he had a feeling something was not well as far back as 2003 but he kept his focus on work.

"You may recall that one month on the job, Levison Mumba (former tourism minister) wanted me fired. The honourable Marina Nsingo (former tourism minister) basically terminated my contract outside the provisions of the law. After I challenged her decision she called me to her office and she apologised," Kabeta said.

He said when he took over office in December 2001, he had many challenges ranging from ZAWA's failure to pay salaries, lack of uniforms for ZAWA officers, lack of vehicles for park patrols and that radio communication was almost non-existent.

Kabeta said the relationship between ZAWA and cooperating partners was extremely poor.

He said he worked like a mad man to rectify the industrial relations and to correct the sour relationship with donors and local communities.

"One key aspect of my team's working philosophy focused on zero corruption, transparency with high standards of integrity and I believe we put up systems that will make ZAWA operate like a normal organisation," Kabeta said. " Over the last four years, I have been able to bring in US$32 million to wildlife sector for various programmes."

Kabeta said he was proud of his achievements and felt he deserved to be commended considering the extreme circumstances in which he found ZAWA.

On allegations that he had leased Munachoongo Island on Lake Itezhi-tezhi in the Kafue National Park to former Republican vice-president Enoch Kavindele, Kabeta said the allegations lacked merit.

"The ACC (Anti-Corruption Commission) investigated it and cleared it because it had no merit or basis," Kabeta said. "As an institution we had written advising him (Kavindele) what he wanted was not possible."

ZAWA board chairperson, chieftainess Chiawa (Christine Mambo) on Monday notified Kabeta of the termination of his contract of employment with immediate effect.

"In lieu of notice, and in keeping with the provisions of your contract of employment, you will be paid the three months salary. You will also be paid any money including for any accumulated leave days, due to you by the authority, while any monies you owe the authority will be deducted," stated chieftainess Chiawa.

Recently, President Mwanawasa ordered the dismissal of Kabeta for terminating the employment contract of his informant at the authority, Dr Lewis Saiwana.

President Mwanawasa directed the ZAWA board then led by Chad Kaunda to reinstate his informant, even after expiry of his contract, and to offer him a new three-year contract.

Following pressure from President Mwanawasa, the ZAWA board meeting of February 28, 2005 reviewed Dr Saiwana's case and reinstated him and ordered management to pay all his unpaid salary.

On April 19, 2005, Kabeta advised Dr Saiwana that his reinstatement was into his contract up to December 31, 2004 when his contract of service ended.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont wether I should be happy or sad as I am sure another clown will be appointed soon.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
So, my Zambia friends, what does this all mean? How do you think it will affect hunters and the animals we hunt or is it to early to tell?

I suppose it depends on who replaces Mr. Kabeta. What did you guys think of him?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the general opinion was that Hapenga was instrumental in a lot of changes but unfortunately he came from a financial background and I dont think he had the first clue when it came to wildlife management.
A lot of his decisions wether right or wrong were purely financial.
If I was on the ZAWA board i would look for someone from outside the country who would be less influenced by our local politicans. Although that would be highly unlikely.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote