New
Find
Notify
Tools

mosquite protection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm leaving for Botswana a week from today and while packing, I had a few questions regarding bug protection.

Should I take my Bug-tamer jacket?

Should/Can I take my Thermacell.

Thanks, CC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea. I rely on permethrin-based repellents for the most part. I believe bug-tamer has it impregnated in the fibers.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Permethrin is great stuff, of course. I don't think your Bug-Tamer would last long in the thorns, though. The Thermacell might be worthwhile in a blind, but since you are usually always on the move, it would just be dead weight most of the time. And I wonder if TSA will let the fuel on the plane, either in carry-on or in your bag?

There are now combination products on the market that are sunscreen/repellent. I use a combo of citronella and SP-15 and it actually keeps off the tse-tse flies. (Well, everyone knows that that is a damn lie, but maybe one in 20 doesn't bite.)....

I'm packing for my 11th safari (I think?) and I've never felt I needed anything more than some repellent and Permethrin.... except for those damn tse-tse flies. Dang! Those sons-of-bitches can bite.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check this out:

http://www.dontbugmepatch.com/

I've only used them a few times out so far, but the early indication is that they work. Easy to use: just slap on a patch. I like my Thermacell, but as was already mentioned, you're usually on the move when on safari.

Posts: 104 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 April 2006Reply With Quote