Find
Notify
Tools

Beetles in soft wood
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I just received last years trophies and everything was OK until I found small woodboring beetles in my sons drum (very soft wood). Well I popped some mothballs in it, sprayed it with Raid and put it in the deepfreeze.

Later I noticed that the "hornbills" I bought two years ago had the same thing!

Now the drum was never in the house so they most have been at it for some time. Any ideas what to do?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have had the same problem with Wood items brought back from Africa. I spray them with Raid and that seems to do the trick.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kill bugs for a living, you have one of many varities of wood boreing beetles. Of those common in U.S. some can live as a Larva for up to 20 Years . I have no clue what you have but would suggest you find a extermintor who has a funagation shed or who will place infested items in a home that is being fumegated. It should not cost a whole lot to do so. It is possible that those beetle if left a lone could infest your home or wood items stored in your home. such has you rifle stocks.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the same thing. Found some wood dust under a mask and a small 1mm hole. Sparyed with an insecticide and placed in a ziplock for a month. Seems to have done the trick. Had it happen with a wood giraffe also. Instead of dinking around with the Giraffe, just threw it away.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Wood products from Africa are also quarantine inspected in Australia for wood borers as they can be a very serious problem to a countries forests.

Never had them in anything I have imported.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both items were drenched in Raid and are now in the freezer, I´ll check for a fumigating agency. One alternative is just to burn them. Does this happen to hardwood items? Confused

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Cewe

Yes to my limited knowledge.

I have imported teak and mahogoney items and they all got a thorough inspection.

Even the packing case things were shipped in.

The borers may already exist in other places but not here.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what my home insurance will say when our furniture starts falling apart...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your home owners insurance most likely has a disclaimer for bugs. The adult bugs emerage only for brief periods during the life cycle of the insect, it changes from egg to larva to pupa to adult. Each stage being different depending on conditions and the insect involved.Spraying it with raid most likey did not help, hot and cold may depending on the kind of beetle. Heat can cause problems with splitting of the wood. It is more postive to fume them with less chance of damage.The short time they have been in your home most likely should not cause you a problem. If you do not want the items burning them completely would end the infestation.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the item will fit, put it in the freezer for 3 days and that will kill the bugs. This is what Taxidermist do when they encounter this problem. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MZEE
That will work with carpet bettles and other Demested (? spelling)beetles, but not true wood boring beetles.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist said to use -47C for two weeks! I doubt my freezer can take that -looks like the incinerator will be my best bet.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I would wrap them up securely and get some advice. I wouldn't destroy them yet.

As Finland has a huge timber industry I am sure your government has an agency which can help. They might destroy them for you anyway!