Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for AHR CZ550 in 416 Rigby??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted
We are trying to find a scope that will give the proper sight picture on a CZ550 AHR Rifle in 416 Rigby. Due to the extra long action, a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20 must have the ring in front of the lens to give the proper sight picture, and I'm afraid this will hurt the scope.

Does anyone use this rifle, and if so what scope/mount combination is working for you?

The rifle is intended for DG (Buff/Hippo) in Zambia's Luangua Valley.

Thanks!! BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use a VXIII 1.5-5 in CZ rings on mine and don't have a problem.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
My father has a swarovski Z6 1-6 on his CZ550 416 Rigby and it gives plenty of clearance using Talley rings. The reason he went with that scope is the same issue you see on yours, we didn't want any issue to occur in the field. Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Is the front ring in front or behind the front lens??

Thanks, BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of my CZ in 416 Rigby with a Leupold 1.5-5 on it. Talley rings.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I use Swaro 1.25-4x24mm and Kahles 1.1-4x24mm variables in CZ or Talley rings on three of mine.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You might do well to call CZ and ask them. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time they've been asked.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Nderobo,
Reading your post it seems that you are sliding the scope slightly back in the rings for the desired view? That would make sense since I know your scope will fit on that action. I've had a 2.5X and 1.75-6 Leupold on my 550. The 2.5x Ultra-light has such long and flexible eye-relief that anyone, even my grade school kids see a full view through the scope when it is pushed as far ahead as possible. That's about the only position that works with the Warne rings I use.

The Leupold site has just about every dimension of every scope they make, plus other specs like eye-relief.If you find the scope of interest, click "specifications" it will give tube lengths that you can compare to what you have. Bear in mind that you may have to take eye-relief and objective tube length into consideration as well.If you are happy with the fixed power, it's almost certain to work for you. They are tough little guys as well. Myself, I took mine off for the brighter 1.75-6 but not before shooting a buffalo with it. The heavy duplex is my choice for this use.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote