Find
Notify
Tools

Horseback Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Just finished watching the Preakness Stakes and it made me curious. When you read books about the early days of hunting in Africa, much of the hunting was done on horseback. I realize that in large part that was because the hunting predated safari vehicles. But I was curious, is there an outfitter that does hunts on horseback?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Tetsee fly and horses= dead horse.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Buzz. I wanna see the video. Giddy-up.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I was trying to come up with an option for some of our more senior members . . . besides it would give you a chance to wear some of those chap thingamabobs.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunter ask his guide "can I shoot off this horse?"
Guides says "yep."
Hunter laying on the ground looks up & says "I thought you said I could shoot off that horse."
Guide says "yeh, you can shoot OFF him, just not on him.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Therer are some SA outfitters doing horse back hunts.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Agarob Hunting Safaris in Namibia does horseback hunting . Been there once and going back in Oct. looking for Oryx and Klipspringer for me and Mtn. Zebra for wife. The horses are docile and like mtn. goats. Tough hunting but thoroughly enjoyable. Also they are a family run operation and only take one group of hunters at a time.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Agarob Safaris in Sept 2010 on horseback considered it to be my best trip in 4 times to Namibia.Johnny is a reloader so left my guns home and used his 300wsm on 15 animals no high fence either.Horses are well broke and tough in his rugged terrian.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I hunted with a guy in RSA on my first two trips that does some hunts with horses. No DG involved in his horseback hunts.

As an aside, I just got back today from the Idaho bear hunt. We used horses on 2 days there. It sure makes for a fun hunt IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike
Are you thinking of doing your lion hunt this August on horseback ( or are you just making plans for a quick retreat ? )
Can't wait to see your photographs ?????

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Hey Mike
Are you thinking of doing your lion hunt this August on horseback ( or are you just making plans for a quick retreat ? )

Lion, "Zebras? Horses? With 'hors d'oeuvres.' Yummmm!" Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Mike

Maybe. I am already working on finding Buzz a horse he can handle.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of bullwaller
posted Hide Post
Hunted with Johnny 120 days last year and am going back for another 90 in October. Although most of the time we will be catching up on working his cattle. Although if I see a nice 60 inch kudu he might come home with me. Two of the girls are getting married and I will make one wedding, that ought to be a hoot. Horse back is the only way to hunt, here or over there.

Shoot first. Never trust horses or women and very few mules.

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines: Maybe. I am already working on finding Buzz a horse he can handle.

Be sure and take him a set of those chap thingamabobs. popcorn

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In terms of true wilderness adventure try a Horse back hunt in Asia. No one is going anywhere quickly or comfortably. Only true hunters need apply. A fabulous adventure, sitting in a 5 star African lodge does not compare....

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Troski does horseback hunts and he does a great job of running a safari. I have sent a bunch of friends to him over the past few years and they all have said great things.
CT Safaris is a good place to plan a hunt with
http://www.ct-safaris.com/

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Sir George Grey hunted lions from horseback . Unfortunately for him the lions won on that occassion ..... I guess that means that at the end of the day , rich or poor , you end up as just so much lion scat in the wilderness..... Smiler

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I remember I met a SA oufitter who has his farm in Watersberg, I should also have a depliant somewhere. I can try to look for that depliant, but I need sometime.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been fast this time, here one of the possible site address:
http://www.hunting-south-afric...orseback_hunting.php

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And people thought that rocking horse shit was rare !!!

You are going to get in trouble over this Mike !!

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To quote a chap I knew who was born in Kenya many moons ago: "The worst Land Rover is better than the best horse"

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And people thought that rocking horse shit was rare !!!

You are going to get in trouble over this Mike !!

I am not going to pay for my hunt until I get home, that should keep Buzz in check and give him a vested interest in my survival. There is only one thing that he likes more than a good practical joke . . . money. Well maybe two things . . . scotch and money. Come to think of it three things . . . cigars, scotch and money. Oh yeah, and then there are ladies . . . or is it ladies lingerie . . .

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Hey Mike

Be careful, Buzz may make you wear the mankini on your next hunt.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bullwaller:
Hunted with Johnny 120 days last year and am going back for another 90 in October.

Is it a typing error or you spent a so long time there? I can envy you for this Wink

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Namibia, one of the PH's had a pair of light horses he was training to harness that he was going to do old style hunts from a buckboard of some sort.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz don't need no chap thingamabobs he has that green thing to wear. Just shows how tuff he is. Lets see one of you wear that thing all day on a horse! rotflmo
Or wear it at all for that matter. LOL!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Buzz don't need no chap thingamabobs he has that green thing to wear. Just shows how tuff he is. Lets see one of you wear that thing all day on a horse! rotflmo
Or wear it at all for that matter. LOL!

My bad - I was assuming he'd wear both...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
In terms of true wilderness adventure try a Horse back hunt in Asia. No one is going anywhere quickly or comfortably. Only true hunters need apply. A fabulous adventure, sitting in a 5 star African lodge does not compare....

This is so true. Nobody has ever got saddle sores or an aching butt from a padded chair or a Landcruiser. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:

This is so true. Nobody has ever got saddle sores or an aching butt from a padded chair or a Landcruiser. Big Grin

If you never got a sore butt from a 4x4 then you must hunt strictly on pavement---- rotflmo

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Why ruin a good hunt with horses?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:
quote:

If you never got a sore butt from a 4x4 then you must hunt strictly on pavement---- rotflmo

SSR

Must be a tender butt or the suspension is poked? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:
quote:

SSR

Must be a tender butt or the suspension is poked? Big Grin

ever hear the story of the Princess and the pea???? jumping

I grew up horse back they are much easier on my body than a 4-wheel drive truck with solid tires and springs--not to mention getting sea-sick from worn out shocks---- beer

Not to mention the headache when you drop a wheel in a hole and bounce your noggin off the roof----

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote