New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas Credit card....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any experiances with Cabela's VISA card and the point redemption for goods?

Is it worth the "trouble", or is it better to use an Airline card and get "miles"?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
The card is ok, if you are not going to fly much. Now, that I am flying more, I will take the miles.

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a new Cabela's opened very close to home last year, the card was tempting. But, that said, we like to travel too much and exclusively use a card that earns airline miles. So hopefully the purchase of my wife's rifle and scope at Cabela's will help make the flight to Namibia less expensive.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used one for years. What I do is buy all my gasoline and food with it.

I kind of figure since you have nothing to show for those items after you use them, you might as well get something for them. I let the points build up over the course of the year and then cash them in for gift certificates for my nephews for Christmas. They like the certificates and they basically don't cost me anything since I pay the balance in full every month.

I don't use card for large purchases, but for the small ones, the points make sense.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have it and the Skymiles card. I use the Skymiles card more but I just cashed in $29 worth of points last night on my Cabelas card on an order I placed. I also used Cabelas points to buy a pair of Kangaroo skin hunting boots a while back.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I have one but hardly ever use it anymore because they changed the terms of use midstream.

The points take forever to build up.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The points are slower to gain but much easier to use. They are good on all Cabelas mdse not only on selected flights. I haven't been able to ever use air miles. I use a BP card and get CASH back. 5% on all BP gas. I use my Cabelas card for purchases from them as the points are double.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I used a United card for years but found myself giving tix to friends that were more willing to fly on the awkward flights to a destination while I would buy for a better schedule.

Now I am saving my Cabelas points for a nice Swarovski scope Smiler

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I have had a Cabela's Visa for about 3 years. Use it pretty much as my primary card. I had an Amex Delta miles card, but they kept uping the annual fee and you can never find a flight when you want to leave or arrive using the miles. My wife still has one and she has plenty of miles now(on the card, not her; er better quit). The Cabelas points are nice and the folks on the phone are some of the best I've dealt with. Just when I think I've got too much hunting crap to keep up with, there's always one more thing for that slightly different trip and those points come in real handy.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the Cabelas Visa for a few years now with no problems. I don't fly enought to get the benefits of a frequent flyer card so I went with Cabelas. Redeemed some points in a few months ago for some brass.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you run all of your household expense through a credit card, you can do well with the Cabelas card. You can use points for a discount on guns or hunts also.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And this pertains to "African Hunting" how? I thought we were trying to honor Saeed's wishes to keep the topic somewhat related to the forum.

Just my $.02

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good deal...I had one while I was working in MYC for a full year of meals, hotels and other travel expenses went on the card...my company reimburses me and voila' I get the points...not a bad deal.

Posts: 88 | Location: Mt. Wolf PA | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used one for 10 years or so.

I have a small business and run a lot of our expenses on this card.

I am able to get $1000 - $2000 of free stuff every year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine. I run 2K-4K a month thru it and buy gear with the points on a regular basis.

I quit using airline cards because I could never get a flight when I wanted it without a huge upcharge in points.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Cabela's has excellent customer service. A real person always answers the telephone. Never have had a problem returning anything. Good fraud protection.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you want reward points that don't expire, then get an American Express card. Other than my debit card it's the only card my wife and I use for personal or business purchases. As long as you pay it on time you get a mile per dollar spent. You can then assign those points to one of several airlines. It's worked for us for the past 12 years!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I like mine. I saved my points for about 2 years and a few months ago I used most all of my points and got a free Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Have had mine about 2 years now. Use is for many, many things. Last year ran about $22k through it. One other benefit, when I don't have enough points to buy something at Cabelas,and end up making up the difference with the card, it adds double points Big Grin. Then when the wife finds a new hunting item in the basement Eekerand asks where the money came from, I just tell her I was able to redeem my points for the item. Has kept me out of hot water numerous times. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Don't get the BassPro Shops Visa they make you cash in all your points every year so you can't save them up for a big purchase.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote