Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this Leopard a Shooter?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
There is ongoing research going on in the BVC on both lion and leopard. Not only to establish numbers but also to see what effect the high lion population is having on the leopard. It is perfectly legal to take a leopard or lion that is collard. Research has already shown that there are 2 female leopard to 1 male. In other parts of the country it is estimated that there are up to 6 females to one male. It has also shown that because of the high lion population, the leopard are sticking to the riverine bush, where before they were moving freely in open country. No research of this intensity has been done in a hunting area in Zimbabwe before and it is being done to silence the critics. The researchers are well aware that it is a hunting area and have NO problem with hunters shooting collard cats. It is all part of the research.

One of Us
Picture of Otjandaue Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
I can believe that he is 120 pounds. If you look at the size of his head and his body height it is not such a small cat.He might be a bit thin and that can be due to the time of year with food availability. I have baited many cats and I also found that a trail cam picture of the same cat gives a different view on a day picture than a night picture. On the day and color pictures you get a much better idea of the size of a cat.

Roy

Posts: 70 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graeme Jones:
No research of this intensity has been done in a hunting area in Zimbabwe before

I'm sure Dusty Joubert would have plenty to say about that.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otjandaue Hunting Safaris:
I have baited many cats and I also found that a trail cam picture of the same cat gives a different view on a day picture than a night picture. On the day and color pictures you get a much better idea of the size of a cat.

Roy

100%, those night trail cam pics can be very deceptive.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote