THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do you clean your own rifle on Safari?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you clean your own rifle on Safari?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
For some reason I feel the need to add my two cents worth here even though it is just a repeat of what has already been posted.

After my last practice session before departing, I do a detail clean of the barrel on the shooting bench at the range. When it is as clean as it will get I fire three shots to foul the barrel and confirm POI. That will be the last time the barrel gets cleaned until after the trip unless the bore gets fouled with mud.

During the hunt the exterior of the rifle will get wiped down with an oil rag every evening and the scope lenses will get cleaned.

I have never heard of safari staff member cleaning a client's rifle. The only time I have seen a safari staff member touch a rifle was to hand it to a hunter or take it from the hunter during mounting or dismounting of the hunting vehicle.

The only exceptions to this that I know of were in one of Ruark's books when a boy was trained to clean the main character's personal rifles, and in one of Saeed's videos where they had a safari staff shooting match and all the help were allowed to fire the big gun a few times. As I recall some of them had to sand on a box to do so.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

... curious about "Gun Cleaning on Safari".

Let the cook clean your gun. He's washing the dishes anyway.

Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife has been practicing with a 7mm-08 that has had around 100 rounds fired with no loss of accuracy.

Rifle-cleaning is overrated.

quote:
- Bore Snake (to remove dust debris from the day's events)

- Small bottle of Hoppe's oil and small tube of light grease (I use Krieghoff Gun-glide)

- Silicone gun rags (2)

- Large cloth (for wiping off dust before using the silicone treated rag)

- Snap caps.

- Small Brownell's screwdriver tool kit

JW

Good list. Add in Harry's Rapid Rod. Throw it in the case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i never ever clean my hunting guns, i make sure there is as little oil as possible on the bolt so it functions smoothly as possible, but no so oily it gets gummy with dust, i havent ran a patch doun the bore in years

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
you must be reading a different part of this forum than I! The only place I've seen where a rifle took 15 rounds to settle down was with break-in of a new barrel. I think you are simply looking for a fight,

Well I did say on AR, not just this forum, and anytime I argue, I'm looking for some truths rather than myths, or habits whatever.
Now you have stated you have about 80% was it? trouble with PF's, last night I got up to where Boddington states in his book where he has NEVER seen a PF fail. (only a CRF)

But then he is a pro. Smiler

And constantly, and as late as yesterday, I wiped out a rifle I hadn't shot for about a month.
One patch got some green out, the second got all the Hoppies out, the first shot at 100 yards was ON. The second was 7/16 to the left, the third (getting warm and dirty) bugger me if it didn't go in the same hole as the first.

So I don't care if I go hunting with it clean or dirty. I have only shot this rifle 10 times without cleaning but it was still on the money.

All over OTHER forums on AR there are shooters not game to clean their rifle at all, and by memory some of THEM claim some number, whether 15 or more was by my memory, who cares?

But if you look around with your eyes open you will see quite a few OTHER shooters stating their rifles don't change zero between clean and fouled.

However, where once I thought it was a myth, if you and RIP say you can't shoot straight with a clean bore, I'll believe you. See,I'm learning as I go. Now mellow up you old coot. Big Grin

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
A clean barrel shooting to the same point of aim as a dirty barrel is a relative thing. All of my rifles are sighted in with a fouled barrels, but would cleanly kill a game animal with the first shot from a clean barrel (assuming I do my part).

However, starting with a clean barrel at the bench, shots 2,3 &4 always print a tighter group than 1,2 & 3.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, starting with a clean barrel at the bench, shots 2,3 &4 always print a tighter group than 1,2 & 3.

Huh? Confused

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
you must be reading a different part of this forum than I! The only place I've seen where a rifle took 15 rounds to settle down was with break-in of a new barrel. I think you are simply looking for a fight,

Well I did say on AR, not just this forum, and anytime I argue, I'm looking for some truths rather than myths, or habits whatever.
Now you have stated you have about 80% was it? trouble with PF's, last night I got up to where Boddington states in his book where he has NEVER seen a PF fail. (only a CRF)

But then he is a pro. Smiler

And constantly, and as late as yesterday, I wiped out a rifle I hadn't shot for about a month.
One patch got some green out, the second got all the Hoppies out, the first shot at 100 yards was ON. The second was 7/16 to the left, the third (getting warm and dirty) bugger me if it didn't go in the same hole as the first.

So I don't care if I go hunting with it clean or dirty. I have only shot this rifle 10 times without cleaning but it was still on the money.

All over OTHER forums on AR there are shooters not game to clean their rifle at all, and by memory some of THEM claim some number, whether 15 or more was by my memory, who cares?

But if you look around with your eyes open you will see quite a few OTHER shooters stating their rifles don't change zero between clean and fouled.

However, where once I thought it was a myth, if you and RIP say you can't shoot straight with a clean bore, I'll believe you. See,I'm learning as I go. Now mellow up you old coot. Big Grin

JAL, that was a very well written response and I agree with much of what you say in it! However, you are misunderstanding my post, and position on this matter.

First off, you may be correct about the whole web-site at AR, I really don't know, because the only forums I read on any website are The Africa forum, the Alaska forum, the double rifle forum, and Big bore forum. All basically HUNTING forums. I find most of the forums posted to by basic deer hunters, or those posted to by target shooters, and for the most part inhabited by folks who think a 700 Remington is a fine rifle,and a 30-06 is a big bore, or the target shooters are interested only with velocity, and nothing shorter that a 1000 yd target! An in most cases neither has any idea what makes a hunting rifle good or bad, they just think they do!

Secondly, I never said I had 80% of my PFs to fail, what I did say, however, is, 80 % of the failures I've had have been with PF rifles. There's a difference! Again, nobody said I couldn't shoot straight, dirty, or clean! I can shoot as well as the rifle will print, either way, but that doesn't mean my not cleaning my rifle after a shooting session, before going on a Safari is a bad idea, it is just that if there is a difference, no matter how small, it will show up at a very long range shot. Since my hunting is basically for dangerous game, and my light rifle is always big enough to be legal for dangerous game, then considering the trajectory, of big bore HUNTING rifles, an inch or two off at 350, or 400 yds, may make the difference between collecting a trophy, or wounding him, and loosing him, but having to pay for him anyway. For something like a Sable, that could mean two or three thousand dollars for nothing. For normal ranges it might not make any difference at all, and the only reason I ever shoot at a live animal at that long range is if it is something special.

With the things I hunt, every precaution one can take, the better off I am. The Murphy law is always in effect!

As I said before, you may do as it suits you, and all I was doing is telling the other side of the story, by offering the way I do it. As far as Boddington automatically knowing more than anyone else, that doesn't hold water, I know men who have hunted for 50 or 60 yrs all over the world, and though they are fine hunters, know little about how a rifle works. As long as it will hit someplace on the animal that is all they want!

Lastly, as far as this old coot have to mellow out, that isn't necessary, because I've never been otherwise, you young whipper-snapper!!
jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must be the exception to the rule. I moly coated the bores on both my safari rifles. And shoot nothing but moly coated bullets. Only the blued Colt\Sauer got the exterior wiped down with a Break-Free CLP soaked rag. The other is stainless, painted with flat black AlumaHyde II aerosol paint, and is pretty much maintenance free.

The only time anyone but me touched my rifles was when I motioned to one of the 'boys' to hold on to it as I climbed into or off of the bakke.

I also took along a RapidRod as insurance.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yor are expected to clean your own rifle on Safari...

Daily inspection is recommended as the humidity can be a factor, particularly on river camps. I have seen guns and other equipment rust overnight.

Normally I use a bore snake that has the brushes lightly oiled and then the remainder of the snake takes most of the oil out but apparantly leaves enough residue that it does not change the impact yet protects the chamber and bores from rust...

BTW, I don't want anyone messing with my rifle, especially camp staff, their inquisitve little minds go to work and they can screw up an anvil with a powder puff...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
quote:

Huh? Confused

$bob$

I'm sorry if I was a little obscure. What I was trying to say was that the first shot (fouling shot) out of my clean barrel, usually prints somewhat off from subsequent shots. Not far enough to make a difference when hunting, but far enough to be noticed when shooting for group size. That is why I fire a fouling shot (shot #1) and then use the second third and fourth shots for group size.

That probably didn't help! diggin

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I've been dying to say this.

Question: Do you clean your own rifle on Safari?

Answer: Do you shoot your own rifle on safari?

Seriously, a fouling shot is a good idea and you will have a chance to do that anyway when you sight in.

I packed a soft rifle case inside my tough pack so the rifle kept fairly clean riding in the back of the truck.

I cleaned the optics daily as I got alot of glare otherwise. Bolt if it got dirty. Left the bore alone.

I cleaned and oiled my bore for trip home as you never know if you will be separated from your rifle for a while.

ANdy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a qoute from Randolph Constatines-MODERN HIGHPOWER COMPETITION."Is is a much proven fact that highpower rifles shoot more accurately when their bores are clean.There are some exceptions to this,but they are very rare."

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder of the importance of rifle care while on safari....Originally posted by Don_G after our trip to the Selous in Aug/Sept of '06:

quote:
Until very recently I had never experienced an Accidental Discharge in over 40 years of an active shooting career. I had experienced one hangfire (of less than 4 seconds) 30-odd years ago in the Marines. I have hunted extensively, and shot competively with rifles and pistols. At a loose estimate I have fired 50,000 rounds over the years, not counting 22s.

I have spent most of my shooting/hunting carreer in the arid regions of the West - mostly Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. Out there I learned to use a dry bolt, since oil or grease simply gathers dust and makes a grinding paste, or thickens in the cold and slows the firing pin. So years of experience taught me to clean the bolt inside and out and apply a film of moly as a dry lubricant. I cleaned and dry-lubed my bolt inside and out in early August after I purchased and fitted a spare firing pin for my M70. To fit the pin you must completely dismantle the bolt, removing the pin, cocking piece and spring from the shroud. There was no sign of rust or corrosion on the cocking piece or the shroud, although the bluing was worn away on large areas where the cocking piece and shroud had been wearing against each other over the 8 years and approximately 3500 rounds I have fired through that action.

This practice of only using dry lube resulted in an AD on my recent hunt in LA1 of the Selous.

The Selous is a region of fairly high humidity throughout the hunting season, so the rust may have started as soon as I arrived. The rifle fired normally during the sight-in after we arrived. I then spent three days attempting to video tape Chris's buffalo hunt, while my rifle stayed in its bag. One evening we got caught in a rain storm. I held my poncho over the rifle rack and thought I had kept them dry. That night in the tent I wiped down the outside of the rifle and bolt with an oily patch and saw no sign of water or rust. My rifle spent two more nights and days in that bag - and it turned out to be damp. Apparently the rain had come through the zipper right onto the bolt shroud and dripped into the interior of the bolt.

On the third day of my buffalo hunting (sixth day of the hunt) I finally got a shot opportunity. The rifle did not fire, and I told the PH (Pete) " I didn't hear the firing pin drop."

Pete ignored me, moved the sticks and said "shoot again, take the safety off". I said " I had the safety off, it didn't fire." Pete said "keep shooting, it will go off". I knew that I had a definite problem, but he moved the sticks again, and yet again - and I went with him. That time the rifle fired as I tried to re-engage the safety - a very frightening AD. Pete said, "keep that bloody thing pointed away from me!", and kept me busy pointing the rifle and futilely pulling the trigger for the next few minutes until the herd ran off.

An hour later I got a shot opportunity on one of two lone bulls - and this time the rifle fired after a perceptible delay. (That bull is a different story.)

That night at camp I demonstrated the "hanging pin" to Alan and Roy Vincent and Pete. The pin would stay to the rear until the safety or bolt handle was moved, then it would sometimes drop and somtimes continue to hang. Pete admitted that up until that time he'd just assumed I didn't know my rifle, or had buck fever. He said he'd recently had a spate of clients who failed to properly operate their rifles.

I did not fail to properly operate my rifle - I failed to properly maintain it for the conditions in which I was hunting. The AD was definitely my fault. I claim that the AD was more dangerous - and made more likely to occur because the PH would not listen to me. My instinct was to stop, wait a few seconds, then unload the rifle while keeping it pointed in a safe direction. If I had been hunting alone I would have stopped hunting until the cause of the malfunction was located and fixed. I let the PH bully me into continuing to "hunt", even though I knew better. The result was an AD. Because the rifle was pointed in a safe direction the only casualties of the AD were my ears and my pride.

Here's a photo of the cocking piece upon removing it from the shroud.

I scrubbed it in an oily paste to grind it smooth, then cleaned and oiled it. It operated properly for the remaining ten days of hunting.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Yor are expected to clean your own rifle on Safari...

Daily inspection is recommended as the humidity can be a factor, particularly on river camps. I have seen guns and other equipment rust overnight.

Normally I use a bore snake that has the brushes lightly oiled and then the remainder of the snake takes most of the oil out but apparantly leaves enough residue that it does not change the impact yet protects the chamber and bores from rust...
(clipped)

I agree with Ray 100% on this. Last December in TZ it was 90-100 degrees with 90-100% humidity during the day and it rained almost every night. Our guns were rusting as we walked. The PH, APH, and I would share a Rem-oil wipe and a Bore-snake (or 2) each evening on our 4 rifles. And, no. We never would have the trackers/camp boys clean our rifles.

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take bore snakes. If it's dry I just run a dry bore snake through the bore at the end of the day. It it has been wet, I use one that has oil on it. If the next morning is dry, I run the dry snake through the bore. If not, I live with it.

I always wipe down the outside with a CLP rag. So far it has worked well.

Haven't seen much rain, but have seen lots of sweat Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent post by Don_G, and thanks to Canuck for citing it.

Lesson: While on safari, NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED regarding your rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote