Find
Notify
Tools

Really Excited! One last question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted
My flight leaves for Tanzania in 38 hours! Pretty much packed and ready to go. My boys (16,15,10) have not been overly excited until now. Yesterday they wore their new safari vests all day. I thought they were going to wear them to bed. My wife has been saying "Any trophies will hang in the basement." Now she wants to know if we can get the zebra skin made into a wall hanging.

Bought the Mossback tripod yesteday. Seems strong. One advantage is that the collapsable legs easily adjust for a 10 year old.

Question: I have been hearing that Netherlands firearm permits require ammunition be disclosed. I didn't do this as no one mentioned it and no examples given me listed it. Am I going to have trouble flying through Amsterdam on KLM? Baggage is checked straight through. Only two hour layover.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from TZ flew KLM, they were awesome. They never checked the ammo issue or anything.
y ammo was not listed on the permit either. I don't think you have to worry at all.

I had alot of trouble with Continental, but no hitch at all with KLM.

I will post more about the Continental stupidity when I get some time.

Enjoy the safari. Who are you hunting with?

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
citory,

Three sons joining you on a safari? Wonderful! I''m sure that you are going to enjoy the real top quality time with your boys. Are the boys to be hunters as well? The remark about the rest collapsing to the height for the 10 yo indicates yes. If the 10 yo is to hunt, I assume the elder brothers will also get their turns? Hope your PH is up to the wisdom it will take to not play down one against the other and handle the delicate situations that is sure to arise with the required tack and fatherly instinct, or better, experience?

Whatever, such a trip can only be wonderful. Enjoy and please post hunt report! I'll be looking out for it.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
TJR, I'm hunting with Safari Trackers/Tanzania Bundu in Lolkisale. Good to hear you enjoyed KLM.

Andrew, All my boys are hunting. First time for all of them. My PH is Paul Horsley and I'm told he's about as nice a guy as you could hope for. I'm also told that the camp staff handles kids very well.

I will absolutely posr upon my return.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
citori,

Have a GREAT time! Let me know how those Mossback shooting sticks work out. We bought one a few weeks ago but still haven't been able to use them yet, going to the deer lease in 2 weeks. They should work great, we planning on taking them on our trip to Namibia next year. Good luck and remember to post some pics when you get back! thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the guy at the Dutch office responsible for this (Mr Tromp at 011 31 50 5232208), ammo must be declared and listed under item 5.

Good luck with your hunt. Hope you have standard calibers just in case the ammo doesn't make it.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
M Starling

I guess the good news is that I'm taking .375 H&H, .30-06, and .243 Win.. Can't get more plain vanilla than that.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt. YOur family will remember this for the rest of thier lives!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by citori:
M Starling

I guess the good news is that I'm taking .375 H&H, .30-06, and .243 Win.. Can't get more plain vanilla than that.

A very good selection, my friend! Enjoy! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
citori,

Have a GREAT time! Let me know how those Mossback shooting sticks work out. We bought one a few weeks ago but still haven't been able to use them yet, going to the deer lease in 2 weeks. They should work great, we planning on taking them on our trip to Namibia next year. Good luck and remember to post some pics when you get back! thumb

Eland,

I bought a pair of the Mossback sticks, and have shot a Black Bear and a Cow Elk Using them. They have held up for me very well and I haven't had any problems with them yet.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, indeed ... about as vanilla a selection of calibers as you can get. Fine choices considering the possible problem. Hope you have no problems ... and a GREAT trip!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote