posted
I am considering a lion hunt here with the following group;

AREA: Cahora Bassa - Mozambique
OUTFITTER: Piet Otto Safaris
PH: Danny Enslin
AGENT: Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman
www.huntingforadventure.com

Did a search but not much came up. Can anyone share relevant experience/knowledge on the area, outfitter, PH, agent, etc?

Option is for sept but seems like it may be a bit hot for baits/etc?

Any advice/info appreciated.

Pm is fine if you would rather not post publicly

Thanks

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hot? Yes.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I hunted Dande last year in October for Lion. Dande is pretty close and yes it was hot and yes, keeping baits fresh was an issue. Personally, I like hunting in the heat but you'll go through quite a bit of bait if you don't score on the cat early.

We found that 4 days was about all we could count on for the baits to remain usable. We went through 2 kudu cows, a warthog, a buffalo cow, a buffalo bull, 3 tuskless, and I purchased a farmer's cow as well to keep meat swinging for the 15 days it took to connect. Obviously, we used animals from the other hunters in the other camps. Not all of the meat was used for bait as the locals got a share as well, but lion hunting in the heat is expensive in terms of how much meat it takes to be successful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was there in September.

Drop me a line with what you want to know.

mark.mclean@rocketmail.com

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Would be good to know if they have a large cool room in camp. Hippo and Ele will last long in you can store it.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What side of CB? I was on the SW side in late August. Sept gets hotter every day. Sep 1 isn't as hot as the 30th.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
What side of CB? I was on the SW side in late August. Sept gets hotter every day. Sep 1 isn't as hot as the 30th.

Wendell..I believe this operation is on the North Bank.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CB in Moz, a fabulous lion destination - NO. North side/south side, same-same. Are lions there, and success likely/possible - sure. Will baits last long in September, in this area - NOPE (or most areas for that matter)! Be prepared to buy/shoot bait, but be prepared to do that on any lion hunt.

Rarely if ever, are even the BEST lion hunts in Africa 100% successful (exceptions might be the Bubye for example) If you told me an operation in the CB had a lengthy track record of 100% success on lions, I would tell you that they are likely not super picky as it pertains to each/every lion they shoot. Always go lion hunting with the understanding that you may not get one, especially if you are wanting only an older/mature lion.

Is it a good price for a wild lion hunt - yep! Sometimes you gotta weigh the odds - vs the price. Its a good price, and you could get a good lion.

Good Luck!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt just up from CB in Rufunsa on the Zambezi and best time for Lion was June/July.

Baits in the hot weather of September will last three/four days. Lions can be lethargic.

However Lion will have to come to water and visibility will be good that time of year.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were there in Oct. Nov. last year and one day it was 126 degrees. Killed a lion though.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog

I hunted basically through the last three weeks of Sept last year in the Luangwa in Zambia which can be a hot son of a gun. Temps were high 90s-low 100s at midday so not too terrible. It just didn't cool off much through the night. Some of the lion baits went off quickly and some not. Lions were active enough and we had cats feeding throughout our hunt until we shot the lion. I'm no expert but I'm thinking for the cats alone earlier might be a little better but Sept will be fine.

I also have to think as Aaron inferred that if they are 100% on lion that you will personally have to discuss your specific criterion with your PH if you want to shoot a mature lion. Even if the place is stiff with lion a 100% success rate is pretty amazing.

The price is really excellent and I wish you the best. Hope to see a report on a great lion.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joec:
We were there in Oct. Nov. last year and one day it was 126 degrees. Killed a lion though.

Any pictures?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by joec:

Any pictures?

Joe showed me a pic of this lion at DSC..it is a dandy!..

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Dandelion?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dandelion?

Oh yeah..500+ lbs, old, good mane for area..taken in Simon Rogers area (South Bank).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we are on Caborra Bassa..has anyone heard that these areas (North and South Bank(s)) will be come official Coutada's at the end of this year?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:
Dandelion?

Oh yeah..500+ lbs, old, good mane for area..taken in Simon Rogers area (South Bank).

Simon will have the best lion hunting in the CB, IMO.

Bill Jones and I are hunting together with Simon in July.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have sold hunts in Simons area since before it was Simons area. 11 years now. I hunted there in 2002. Safaris de Mocambique is still the company name. He has an unbelievable concession. Some of the best Buffalo in Southern Africa.

For as long as I can remember that area was about 3 out 5 on success. Sometimes 2:5. Decent cats, occasionally a good cat would come out of there.

Haven't heard much about the hunting on the North Shore of CB, but then again, I certainly don't hear everything. Where was Walter hunting? (Not Saeeds Walter!)

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:
Was there in September.

Drop me a line with what you want to know.

mark.mclean@rocketmail.com

Sent you an email. Thanks.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the info. Keep it comin if you hear anything else. Will continue to do my due diligence.

Any more information on Piet Otto Safaris or Danny Enslin? Seems like I have heard the name somewhere but can't place it.

Regards.

Josh

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Walter Enslin used to hunt up there. Is it the same area?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, No I hunt on the South side, next to Simons,

There are 3 blocks on the South side,

Simons (BAWA) , the concession where I hunt( Thuvi), and then Alex mclean (Capimbi), where I also sometime hunt.

I have hunted 2/3 areas on the South Side, and then 4 areas on the North Side, not Carels Area, where I have been hearing some good stuff from

As far as my knowledge goes, and I have been huting Moz since 1997

NO FEMALES MAY BE HUNTED, EXCEPT UNDER SPECIAL PERMSSION

For example the man eater I shot a couple of years ago was female, that was by Special Permission and Request

In 7 years on Cahorra, I have not shot a female crocodile or hippo cow as trophy, and on PAC shooting, never a cow, as the troublemakers always without a exception are Young Bulls testing their limits or Olde Bulls not giving a shite,

Piet Otto, is a great guy,and excellent PH and I have known and worked with him many years ago, in the swamps of the Delta,

We can tell you many ways how not to get a Unimog stuck out there

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
Wendell, No I hunt on the South side, next to Simons,

There are 3 blocks on the South side,

Simons (BAWA) , the concession where I hunt( Thuvi), and then Alex mclean (Capimbi), where I also sometime hunt.

I have hunted 2/3 areas on the South Side, and then 4 areas on the North Side, not Carels Area, where I have been hearing some good stuff from

As far as my knowledge goes, and I have been huting Moz since 1997

NO FEMALES MAY BE HUNTED, EXCEPT UNDER SPECIAL PERMSSION

For example the man eater I shot a couple of years ago was female, that was by Special Permission and Request

In 7 years on Cahorra, I have not shot a female crocodile or hippo cow as trophy, and on PAC shooting, never a cow, as the troublemakers always without a exception are Young Bulls testing their limits or Olde Bulls not giving a shite,

Piet Otto, is a great guy,and excellent PH and I have known and worked with him many years ago, in the swamps of the Delta,

We can tell you many ways how not to get a Unimog stuck out there

Walter..thanks for the update. How are the buffalo numbers in Thuvi and Capimbi? I know Simon has great buff numbers in his area but dont know how far east that extends. It is my understanding buff and plains game are very thin on the North Bank.

Also have you heard anyting about all of the CB areas becoming offical Coutadas at the end of this year?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The areas in Mozambique that are having the biggest quota for buffalo are Bawa ( Safaris de Mocambique ) , Zambeze Delta Safaris ( coutada 11 ) , Marromeu Safaris ( coutada 10 ) and Nyati Safaris ( coutada 14) all of them exactly with the same quota.
All the other operators are far far away in number of buffalos in quota .
These 4 operators have almost 40% of the total Mozambican quota for buffalo and i think it says it all ! These are really the best areas in Moz for black death !
Cheers.

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hunted Coutada 11 in 2003 & 2005 with the Haldane brothers, in both the swamps and on dry land. Took Buff both ways. Biggest was 43". Outstanding Nyala - ask Craig Bodington - and world class Suni and Red Duiker as well.

With Zambia closed (again), I consider Mozambique Coutada 11 to be the best safari location in sub-Saharan africa.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The buffalo in Thuvi are making a huge come back, as there was some influx from Simons side and the fact that we have not hunted the quota over the last 7 years, only taking in total I think 7 bulls in 7 years and the first 4 years only one, this has helped tremendously bringing the buff back

Capimbi, they are worse off on buffalo, as the new tar road has made poaching so easy fro Tete side, as well as UNFRIGGINGSCRUPULOUS BASTARDS paoching on their side

Thuvi is excellent for Elephant,Leopard, Sable Buffalo and of course Crocodile and Hippo

The hippo in Moz as all know is a screwup of magnificent proportions but the Ministry is promising a solution soon??????!!!!!!!!

In the mean time I have substituted buffalo for hippo on those hunts sold for this year

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
The buffalo in Thuvi are making a huge come back, as there was some influx from Simons side and the fact that we have not hunted the quota over the last 7 years, only taking in total I think 7 bulls in 7 years and the first 4 years only one, this has helped tremendously bringing the buff back

Capimbi, they are worse off on buffalo, as the new tar road has made poaching so easy fro Tete side, as well as UNFRIGGINGSCRUPULOUS BASTARDS paoching on their side

Thuvi is excellent for Elephant,Leopard, Sable Buffalo and of course Crocodile and Hippo

The hippo in Moz as all know is a screwup of magnificent proportions but the Ministry is promising a solution soon??????!!!!!!!!

In the mean time I have substituted buffalo for hippo on those hunts sold for this year

How big of an area is Thuvi?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
370 000 hectares = 914 928 acres +/-

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby