New
Find
Notify
Tools

Display of Elephant Ivory
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got to thinking the other day that a good way, or at least a way, to display elephant ivory would be to have pedestal mounts using the feet. I have seen where the feet were used as stools, waste paper cans etc. I don't think that I have ever seen the feet used as pedestals. Has anyone seen this or have a photo of this? I sure would like to see how it looks.

Muchas gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, I have seen them done this way. It didnt do much for me personally but might appeal to you. I gues it is my bias against making furniture out of legs etc. I will see if I can find some pics for you. I know I have seen them recently.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Hoot, I have seen them done this way. It didnt do much for me personally but might appeal to you. I gues it is my bias against making furniture out of legs etc. I will see if I can find some pics for you. I know I have seen them recently.

I have seen this also, and I also was not impressed.

The feet just don't make attractive pedestals. And then to have a tusk "growing" out of them... No thanks.

Big clunky feet just don't go well with long graceful ivory.

But then, different strokes for different folks...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hoot, have missed you in Reno for a few years. Here is my ivory resting on ele feet. for the holiday season this year. Just and idea.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
retreever NICE!!!! if i get an elephant this yr I'm going to bronze the skull put it on pedistal with tusks attached

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's very nice,Retreever!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Hoot, have missed you in Reno for a few years. Here is my ivory resting on ele feet. for the holiday season this year. Just and idea.

Quite an original idea mixing in the zebra skin which among others gives added protection
to the fragile part of the tusk - however, I would switch the ivory around to hide the
"meeting point" of the skin.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
dd I have the skull down in my shed,
Mike's dog house. It comes out in the spring and rests in front of it and gets put away in the fall.

Thanks guys. Kiboko, I also noticed that after the pics were taken and have moved the boots around.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, VERY NICE!! clap

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
retreever= if you want that skull bronzed drop me a pm well work something out Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Retreever,
great display! I love it!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
ddrhook: It could compliment Mike's bronzed baby shoes! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the idea of bronzing the skull and mounting the tusks on that. Never seen that done before. Sounds expensive, that's a lot of skull to cover. Wonder what it would cost to bronze my hippo skull? I think I will check it out.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Mike, if the neighbors ever ask, you could tell them it's a cyclops skull.

I always thought the skull with tusks still intact made for a stunning mount.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

I always thought the skull with tusks still intact made for a stunning mount.

I have seen that done too, and it makes a great looking mount!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Retreever,

Your ivory looks damn good to me. I had thought of using polished brass at the bottom of the tusk but, I did not think of using zebra or other hide. For me, the challange would be getting the tusks and then worry about how to display them.

I missed year before last's SCI Meeting. I was there this year and I hung around the Giraffe Bar on Thursday and Friday at 3 pm and only a couple of guys showed up. A real bummer. It's nice to get to talk to people that post on AR.

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if I get an elephant this yr I will bronze it with tusk and post it here

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I missed year before last's SCI Meeting. I was there this year and I hung around the Giraffe Bar on Thursday and Friday at 3 pm and only a couple of guys showed up. A real bummer. It's nice to get to talk to people that post on AR.

Come to DSC next year, there is a bunch of AR folks there! You would be very welcome! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several of my friends have their skulls in the garden in one form or another. The best thing I ever saw was a guy up by Krueger had the skull mounted on his barn like we do with moose skulls. He had reprodction tusks put in it. The originals were in the house for obvious reasons. It looked really great.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a nice set up for displaying elephant tusks There is a spring-loaded door at the back of each base that opens for storage as well. You can have different choices of wood. You can also have the bronze ele heads, ones that have been custom painted or none at all. The wooden bases can also be customized as to height and size. They are built by Monarch Taxidermy in Helena, Montana and were at the SCI Convention in January.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think an elephant skull in the garden looks great. I want to let one sit out in the weather, and get good and weathered, lichen growing on it and all. I recall one that sat out in the dining area at the HHK camp in Matetsi, there were even some lizards that lived on it, and you would see them crawling over it chasing insects. It is the same one that is pictured in "In the Salt" with Lou Halimore standing in front of it. I believe that one is on the cover, will have to pull the book out sometime and look. If anyone remembers the movie "Shaka Zulu", there were elephant skulls with the tusks mounted on big stone columns, columns were painted and I believe had mosaics. Would that not make a great looking entrance to your trophy room or your back yard? One of the neat things I remember seeing years ago while hunting on a ranch in South Texas near Loredo, somebody had taken a cow's pelvis bone, and attached the tail bones hanging down to look like a trunk, a Texas version of an elephant skull! Wish I had a camera with me to take a picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an elephant skull, a giraffe skull, a rhino skull and a hippo skull all in the back yard. In our dry climate they are perfect and are very good conversation pieces with pool guests! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the weight of a typical bull elephant skull?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
What's the weight of a typical bull elephant skull?

Not nearly as much as one would think. I had mine shipped with my trophies, but I have never weighed it.

They are a bit awkward to move around, so it really is a two person job, but I would guess mine weighs about 75 pounds. They are pretty light for their size.

The jaw, on the other hand, is pretty heavy for its size. Maybe 30 or 35 pounds.

One regret that I have is that I did not bring back one of the large leg bones and a rib and a couple of vertebrae. I think those would look great laying around a trophy room.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Mike, that ivory is ridiculous! I never get over how nice it is. You are one fortunate (and hard working) elephant hunter!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
If you have a bit of ele skin left over, it might suit better than the zebra skins as "boots".

Also, the older the ivory get's, the more likely it is to split (especially long ivory) and I have seen displays where metal "clamps" are used along the circumference of the ivory to prevent this. I wonder if instead of using metal clamps, one can use ele hide strips dampened on fitting and left to shrink as they dry on the tusk??? To me, the metal "clmps" detracts from the tusk though I understand the necessity.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The below belongs to someone here (sadly not me) but I really like this idea.

This two tiered system made a bit more robustly, with a bit more vertical distance between the tusks, and mounted to the wall would also look great.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Elephant skulls do not do as well in the garden in midwest US weather.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
The below belongs to someone here (sadly not me) but I really like this idea.

This two tiered system made a bit more robustly, with a bit more vertical distance between the tusks, and mounted to the wall would also look great.

Both of those set-ups are outstanding. The table is very unique.

Jason

-Jason Brown