THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Security for Your Stuff while hunting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security for Your Stuff while hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of past and one current post has prompted me to make this post.

It really does not matter where you are, USA Europe or Africa, as a hunter you are normally carrying some expensive gear, as well as some money other papers and your passport as well.

Wether in a vehicle, hotel or a camp it is a good idea to secure your "stuff" as good as possible.

Sometimes there is a safe that you can put some of your stuff in.

For example the Afton house has a gun vault.

When I am in a camp I always put my expensive gear that I am not carrying daily on the hunt, and when I return to my tent, before I leave it for dinner, all the expensive stuff, including my rifles in my Tuffpak. I always have a steel cable and a heavy duty lock so that I can secure the Tuffpak to something solid.

This works in hotel rooms, and in vehicles as well.
Pretty much eleminates a walk through, snatch and sneak off theft.

When I get back to the tent after dinner I get out my big gun in case a lion or an elephant [which has happened] tries to get in the tent with me.

Like wise I put all of my "legally permited" expensive stuff in my carry on,which is locked, and put the rest in my TuffPak with my guns, which is locked and I have the only keys.

My money and important papers are carried where they cannot be pickpocketed.

A little thought and planning can save a lot of grief.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If it's valuable and not on my person, it's locked in my TuffPak. This includes passport, tickets and other important papers. Most thieves are opportunistic and its just not that convenient to walk out of a remote camp carrying a TuffPak.

Other locking rifle cases work too, but the TuffPak has the ability to handle bulky items.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Due to the inherent risks involved, better to stay home!

If your gun (specially big bore pistols Smiler) gets stolen, how could one live with the high probability of it being used to murder untold thousands of small, dirty, and fly covered children that were that very day going to be vaccinated for mumps, malaria, AIDS, and a host of other insidious diseases by Opra, Bill Gates, and Bon Jovi?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS had my Big Bore Revolver on my person, even when eating etc. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,
So far this morning you've sneered at safe gun handling, safe driving and any attempt to secure your belongings while hunting.

You gonna recommend drinking the water and patronizing the hookers in Guadalajara next??

You do anything but sneer?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10302 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on boys just say what is on your mind. It would be nice if both were able to come to Dalles and the AR party and meet face to face. It does wonders. Of course after a couple of sundowners you might treat us all to a good tussel, eh. Wink

You do know some people around here think it is MY job to stir. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
Will,
So far this morning you've sneered at safe gun handling, safe driving and any attempt to secure your belongings while hunting.

You gonna recommend drinking the water and patronizing the hookers in Guadalajara next??

You do anything but sneer?

A sneer from Will is the equivalent of high praise from lesser mortals. wave

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Tony,
I had not thought of cableing the Tuff Pak to the cot or something solid... good idea.

I also pay the PH whatever I owe for the hunt and about half of the expected trophy fees as soon as I arrive. Usually I pay it before I leave the States. That minimizes the cash or travelors checks I have to carry with me out in the bush. I do not leave cash at camp.

As far as cameras and other stuff -- I figure that if its not on the truck when we leave camp I don't need to take it to Africa in the first place.

All the guns I take (rarely more than two) go with me on the truck so there is not much left at camp that I can't do without.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kept my passport and money on me at all times with the exception of taking a shower. The only thing that I wish had been included was the memory chip for my camera (stolen out of the hotel room along with binoculars and sattelite phone). There are some good options available for keeping this stuff on you. Using a cable to secure your toughpack is something I'd not heard of, but a very good idea.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I always had my passport and money with me at ALL times. When I showered, I hung my money belt and passport in the corner of the shower so I could see it. I figured I could leave the country without all my other gear, but leaving without a passport and money would be difficult.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Last fall I hunted with Mokore Safari in Zimbabwe.

I had no real reason to be nervous about theft upon my arrival in camp but I was, so I asked Gary Duckworth to lock up my cash in their great big safe the day I got there. Every evening Gary took my rifle and locked it up with the rest of his and other firearms in the same vault. I don't know that there were any unlocked rifles in the evening. I left my passport and other misc items in my guncase and it appeared that nobody fooled with them. I do know Gary took the keys out of the jeep at night and made sure I didn't leave my camera in the glovebox. My ammo usually stayed there as I recall and nothing happened to it.

It would be a wild guess, but I would think that in most permanent camps there is some kind of lockable room, safe or area to secure both client and staff valuables. Neil Duckworth is building a home for his family in Mozambique on their hunting lease so in that case if there is nothing else available I'd guess you could ask him to lock an item in his closet. Big Grin

Posts: 9419 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
These are all great suggestions. May I add another from recent experience. With your carry on, demand that it be with you on the plane and not stowed in the hold, no matter what. If they insist that your cary on is too big, then make them provide you with a plastic bag to put your valuables in and be stowed above you on the jet. We just had S.A.A., on the last Safari, insist, at the very last minute before the plane departed Vic Falls, to place our carry ons underneath the plane. Reluctantly, we agreed and within two minutes the plane was in the air. However, within that time period the friendly black luggage loaders bypassed my lock on my carry on (by just simply splitting the zipper with their hands or with some tool) and stole all of my cameras. Fortunately, they didn't steal the one camera that had all of my leopard pics on, but I lost two expensive cameras nevertheless, including the video camera that all of our video in delivering 200 lbs of school supplies to four rural schools. There were 15 Japanese tourists that had their bags rifled through prior to loading them, along with my wife's checked bag that didn't have anything of value. If you are going to or through Vic Falls be aware. It is one of the worst places in Africa because of all of the tourism there. For all of you: locks on your carry on or other luggage will not stop theives. They know how to remove the locks (just by prying up underneath the zipper base that holds the metal zipper tag and then after stealing the contents putting them back on and prying them back down, or by simply splitting the zippers without damaging them so it looks like the zipper came partially open) The only exception that I have found is the Tuffpak with the vendor lock. When in camp, keep valuable things locked either in your Tuffpak or a safe, or with you in a fanny or back pack that you can watch carefully.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
An addtional thought for important papers such as Form 4457, passport etc --- I make several copies and stash them various hiding spots in duffle, carry on and tuffpak. I also make a PDF file and send myself and a close friend an email with the file attached --- thus if somehow my important papers come up missing-- I can access my email and or have my friend send copies to get me going again. Never have had to use the back ups but do feel compfy knowing there is a back up plan.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:I also make a PDF file and send myself and a close friend an email with the file attached --- thus if somehow my important papers come up missing-- I can access my email and or have my friend send copies to get me going again.

That is a hell of a good idea!

Wish I had thought of that. They would sing songs about me after I passed ... Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott

Were we on the same safari? I'm such a trusting dork I just left my shit in the truck. Sadie took the cameras out so she could edit some pics etc. but otherwise I left my guns and hunting kit in the vehicle. I do lock up passports etc in the gun case and if the PH recommends we do something further we do that too but I've never felt my gear was in danger. Perhaps I'm niave.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13002 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Due to the inherent risks involved, better to stay home!

If your gun (specially big bore pistols Smiler) gets stolen, how could one live with the high probability of it being used to murder untold thousands of small, dirty, and fly covered children that were that very day going to be vaccinated for mumps, malaria, AIDS, and a host of other insidious diseases by Opra, Bill Gates, and Bon Jovi?

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Bill, your like a fine wine, you get better with age.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about going to the correct size Pelican case for my carryon.
With a strong padlock, non TSA, it would be hard to get into compared to a carryon with zippers. It only drawback is that it is heavier than the Patagonia MLC.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I have more than once wondered about leaving gear in the vehicle when hunting and walking many kilometres away from it.

On some hunts the PH has been completely unconcerned about leaving anything in the vehicle regarding it as safe. Other times they do hide away or lock up goodies.

The "empty" bush is often nothing like empty with people walking around for all sorts of reasons.

Leaving gear in an unlocked vehicle? Well leaving a $20,000 rifle and a $5,000 video camera would hurt if they weren't there when one returned.

In cities and towns I always carry my passport, and other important papers and money with me. I have wondered at the wisdom of this and whether it is actually less safe sometimes. If one is mugged or robbed the lot is gone.

When hunting carrying a passport or papers on one's person can mean they do get wet from perspiration, rain or mud. I prefer to lock them up in the office safe.

Re emailing a PDF of important papers. Such a file can also be uploaded to a website and easily accessible via a weblink from any internet capable PC/web cafe.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Will is in a bad mood-his book keeper just informed him that he cannot deduct the thousands of dollars he spent on his safari clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never locked up anything on any fly in Safari camp..we have a lockup in each tent, but nobody ever uses it...I have never had an incident in the 40 plus years I have been hunting...besides I have insurance..Also we have had the same staff for years in most of the outfits that I book for.

If one feels better locking up everything then that is what he should do however...It sure won't hurt anything.

I might add that stealing in a fly in safari camp might be fatal, there is just no place to run that the trackers couldn't find one...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Re emailing a PDF of important papers. Such a file can also be uploaded to a website and easily accessible via a weblink from any internet capable PC/web cafe.

Get a free gmail account and email the files to yourself. I do this as a means to backup important files.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the way back from Namibia I pulled all the SD cards and video tapes and put them in my pocket...After the hunt I didn't care about anything getting back home except me and my pics and video.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great advice, since you can't replace the photos and the video once the memory cards and video tapes are stolen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroX, I like to have my cash, T/C, passport and wallet on me at all times. I like Cabelas safari shirts which have two zipper pockets on the chest and the trousers have zipper rear pockets. I also take a couple of zip lock bags for the cash etc in the zipper chest pockets. I also sweat a lot and found what you said to be true and then thought of the zip locks. My old passport was a mess from sweat.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I might add that stealing in a fly in safari camp might be fatal, there is just no place to run that the trackers couldn't find one...

You´re right Ray. Would be a funny "hunt" though..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Scott

Were we on the same safari? I'm such a trusting dork I just left my shit in the truck. Sadie took the cameras out so she could edit some pics etc. but otherwise I left my guns and hunting kit in the vehicle. I do lock up passports etc in the gun case and if the PH recommends we do something further we do that too but I've never felt my gear was in danger. Perhaps I'm niave.

Mark

No Mark, you're not. In my camp you can leave your medicines, cameras, rifles, knives, gear, candy, ammo, money, passport or anything else anywhere in the camp and I'll guarentee you that nothing will go missing. You can try it by leaving one dollar in your pants pocket when sending it in for washing. We also don't have locks on the doors. There are a lot of similar outfits where your stuff is safe in the camp and the hunting cars.

Johan

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
In the selous I left everything in my tent with never a thought of anything going missing. I did leave a somewhat bloodied knife in the truck which was returned to me (clean) after dinner by one of the trackers.

As I think back, the whole camp would have felt the hammer of Thor adminstered by the PH if anything came up missing. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bahati:
No Mark, you're not. In my camp you can leave your medicines, cameras, rifles, knives, gear, candy, ammo, money, passport or anything else anywhere in the camp and I'll guarentee you that nothing will go missing. You can try it by leaving one dollar in your pants pocket when sending it in for washing. We also don't have locks on the doors. There are a lot of similar outfits where your stuff is safe in the camp and the hunting cars.

Now that's an outfit I want to hunt with. When I hunt with John Sharp, he is like the CO of a ship; he is responsible for everything. The only item i kept on my person while hunting was my passport and my wallet with IDs and a bit of money. Everything else, icnluding traveler's checks, etc, were left at camp with John's reassurance. And I assure you had anything gone missing, he would have replaced everything no questions asked and killed all those responsible...with his bare hands Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm such a minimalist that a 22x10x12 Boyt soft case and an aluminum double rifle case 30x8x10 is all I carry no matter how long I'm staying and I lock everything up of value in the rifle case if it gets jacked in transit I can use one of the PH's rifles, makes things more interesting if in pursuit of DG. If I have to bite my nails and constantly have to worry about my stuff the fun and joy go out the door for me. Of course I have good insurance on all of my stuff so I could replace it when I get home. Wink

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I'll take you up on the test next Sept. What if It's a twenty?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13002 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and if you lock all you valuables in your Tufpak, be sure that you hide the key. I put my key in a separate box on my dresser...someone had the time during the day to go in, find the key, rifle through the case, take some money, and put the key back where it was before (forgetting to lock the case). ALl the items in the case except the money were still there, but the packing order was messed up.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Can/will you share more? Inquiring minds need to know. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Scott

Mark

Mark,
Tell the lovely Ms Sadie your "Depends" are full and need changing.

I'd be willing to bet that after you toddered away from the jeep Niel followed up and locked up your rifle, threw away your dirty kleenex, fung up or folded your cartigan sweater and brought you your smoking jacket.

Posts: 9419 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we arrived in camp in Namibia, our PH showed us the new wall safes installed in each room. These had changeable combinations, so you could set your own numbers, and secure your valuables if desired. I asked if we needed to and he said no.

In the middle of our trip last year, Kathy and I and the other couple in camp and our PH went back to Windhoek for the day. Sightseeing, shopping, and picking up the PH's fiance for the remaining week. Putting my clothes in the laundry that night, I forgot to empty my pockets of anything except my wallet. The next morning the clothes were done perfectly, and my money was ironed and placed on top of the stack. Smiler Might be an exception to the rule, but I've found most people over there take an immense amount of pride in their work and honesty.

I take the normal precautions with my passport and other large bills, by putting in the locked guncase, but that is because I'm used to the States!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys are very trusting.

I was on safari in Zimbabwe. I locked up my money, passport etc into my duffel in my ammo case. Had a key for it with me.

Came back to camp one evening and noticed a lot of furniture had been moved, a bed gone. My gun case and bag shifted. Because of some other guys passing through and a bed moved to another hut.

Noticed my duffel wasn't locked. Damn I realised that for once I did not lock it. I had gotten everything out for the next day, locked it and then noticed a large spider in the top of the closed mosquito net. Too high to reach, except my camera monopod would reach it. Unlocked everything knocked the spider off and killed it, Really funny joke someone was playing as it was pretty obvious someone had put it in there as it was noticeable.

Forgot to relock my duffel.

Counted the money and travellors cheques. Recounted. Exactly ONE US$500 travellors cheque was missing. I knew exactly what notes and cheques I had because of warvet problems I had had to shift properties and needed to know exactly what I could and couldn't afford when agreeing to the new outfitter.

Anyway mentioned it at breakfast, and it was another problem on that safari.

Anyway who would take a $500 travellors cheque when there was several thousand dollars of $100 notes?

It was impossible to know whom had done it as numerous staff had been in and out of the chalet due to shifting the furniture.

I do not believe a black person would not have taken cash instead of a TC. I think it was the camp manager whom also neglected to phone AMEX for me as promised to report the note stolen.

Got a refund back several months later.

While staying in Bulawayo last safari the B&B/hotel manageress was fired for stealing drinks and also cash from a donation box from guests for elderly whities thrown off their farms.

I also find guys that pre-pay lots of fees and trophy fees before it is necessary and required more than trusting .... Hope nothing ever goes wrong on your safaris ....

John H.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I have the solution.

Just take one of these painted foam puff adders with you.....

Lay it on your gun case.....

Problem SOLVED Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as cameras and other stuff -- I figure that if its not on the truck when we leave camp I don't need to take it to Africa in the first place.

BINGO!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
These are all great suggestions. May I add another from recent experience. With your carry on, demand that it be with you on the plane and not stowed in the hold, no matter what. If they insist that your cary on is too big, then make them provide you with a plastic bag to put your valuables in and be stowed above you on the jet. We just had S.A.A., on the last Safari, insist, at the very last minute before the plane departed Vic Falls, to place our carry ons underneath the plane. Reluctantly, we agreed and within two minutes the plane was in the air. However, within that time period the friendly black luggage loaders bypassed my lock on my carry on (by just simply splitting the zipper with their hands or with some tool) and stole all of my cameras. Fortunately, they didn't steal the one camera that had all of my leopard pics on, but I lost two expensive cameras nevertheless, including the video camera that all of our video in delivering 200 lbs of school supplies to four rural schools. There were 15 Japanese tourists that had their bags rifled through prior to loading them, along with my wife's checked bag that didn't have anything of value. If you are going to or through Vic Falls be aware. It is one of the worst places in Africa because of all of the tourism there. For all of you: locks on your carry on or other luggage will not stop theives. They know how to remove the locks (just by prying up underneath the zipper base that holds the metal zipper tag and then after stealing the contents putting them back on and prying them back down, or by simply splitting the zippers without damaging them so it looks like the zipper came partially open) The only exception that I have found is the Tuffpak with the vendor lock. When in camp, keep valuable things locked either in your Tuffpak or a safe, or with you in a fanny or back pack that you can watch carefully.

SAA is now an official "African" airline.

I carry a Halliburton checked and a locked gun case, and I don't let my carryon out of my grasp. That contains cameras and optics and meds and a change of clothes and some gaiters to use with my Reeboks if the Halliburton doesn't show up. It has a triple combo lock and I lock everything except my passport and ammo and camera that I carry on the truck in a fanny pack when I leave camp. Also some stuff in the locked gun case, as well.

And I won't get on SAA on a bet.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
I have the solution.

Just take one of these painted foam puff adders with you.....

Lay it on your gun case.....

Problem SOLVED Big Grin

I think this would be a work place OH&S issue(Occupation,Health and Safety). Your not suppose to frighten the living shit out of the poor maid. Eeker

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want one!! Where did you get it???
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote