New
Find
Notify
Tools

trophy fees
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any body know what the actual fees are that the Zim Gov charges for animals. Is it standardized or is it different in different area's of the country.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
?
e

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
what do you mean the tax?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are minimum amounts for each animal available on license that the operator has to put into the bank in order to get an export permit for that animal. These are not technically trophy fees but are overall amounts generated per animal on license.

For example, an elephant bull has to generate at least $12,000 to get an export permit...lions are $15,000...leopards are $10,000...cape buff bulls are $5,250...etc, etc.

This is why some of the discussion about supply and demand lowering costs is faulty after a certain point. If they sold you a buff for $4,000 you couldn't export it.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What? Are you saying if I didn't pay a $10,000 fee for my Leopard they can not export. Are you also saying the gov. keeps these funds or are all the figures in Zim dollars? I paid less than $4,000 USD for the buffalo hanging on my wall in front of me as I type this response.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what he is trying to say is that when you are hunting and say for instance you shoot a buff and the trophy fee was 2000, what percentage of the trophy fee is the government margin? In certian countries the gov. sets a trophy fee for each animal on quota. But the Outfits mark this fee up to turn profit. YD is trying to find out the amount these governments are charging. Not a tax but an actual sales price. This would help in people determining what the bottom sales prices are on trophy fees if they are in a bargaining situation.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to find out anything. I'm saying those are the current figures as of this year and they come from Peter Flack. I have no idea what the numbers were when you hunted but you did not pay 4k for a buff including daily rates and TF.

Those amounts include daily rates and trophy fees...monies generated per animal on license.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should clarify the source...it comes from the 2007-2008 Safari Guide put together by Peter Flack, Boddington, Don Heath and several other notable sources.

Don't read the numbers as trophy fees or daily rates...it is "the minimum the operator must deposit in the bank in order to get a trophy export permit." That's a direct quote.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"the minimum the operator must deposit in the bank in order to get a trophy export permit."

It is probably then referring to "foreign exchange" not trophy fees. A combination of lion and leopard must generate $25,000 in foreign exchange. That makes more sense. And this may not even include trophy fees. Just groping here trying to make sense of it. Probably a mindless thng to do sense it IS Africa. bewildered
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What country, what area, and what company?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH yeah, what monetary unit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know Africa is confusing but this is not supposed to be rocket science. These numbers are for Zim not any particular company or area.

The units are in US dollars. I believe Rich understands when he says "foreign exchange". That is not the term used in the chart I am reading but that would be correct to my understanding as well.

I'm not pulling these numbers out of my head or any other body parts. I refer you again to the Safari Guide for 2007-2008 by Safari Press and edited by Peter Flack with many contributions by Don Heath, etc. I just got this yesterday and it's an amazing resource for all of the Africa countries that allow hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is interesting and the figures are not "trophy fees" but total revenue into Zim.. This does raise the question - is there a seperate "fee" for things like PAC animials and tuskless elepahants. The amounts are funds that pass thru the banking industry and I would think do not include the "black market" also is there a revenue requirement for the plains game? I do know the "local" scout that traveled with us on my Leopard hunt this year traveled with us only when hunting Leopard but when we were hunting say Waterbuck they were not around. Sometimes I think too much info is unhealthy. Eeker

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimers I think too much info is unhealthy.

So true. Many things that go on behind the scenes are best not known.
Wink
Rich Ellioltt

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The charts I have for each country list all of the game available on license including small game and birds. Tuskless is not mentioned but cow elephants are listed at $1500. No mention of PAC hunts in these charts and that is a whole different process. None of this takes into consideration what it costs to buy quota from the concession holder, operating costs, profit, overhead, labor, etc. These are just straight figures (is that an oxy moron?) from the govt.

As to the banking process, it is very confusing to me and I do not know how it all works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you YD.