Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving in less than 48 hours
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
Less than two days remain before we head out on what could be, for a variety of reasons, the trip of a lifetime. I'm headed to Tanzania. This is a trip that I have dreamed of since I was little kid. A dear family friend, Dr Charlie Holman, took his son on a safari there between his son's high school and college in 1964. The trip was incredible and became a great milestone for the two of them as the many years past. Now the son is an MD, just like his dad, and whenever they get together it seems that their great trip becomes the topic of conversation. In later years his other children, after hearing of the many stories from Africa, took their own excursions into the bush with their respective families and children. The trip in '64 reached out and ultimately had a wonderful impact on a lot of people--including me. The Doc and I remain good friends to this day, even though he's getting well up in age. We still hunt and fish together often. As the years went by and I heard the many tales of Africa, I later realized that it wasn't so much the destination that made the trip special, it was the time together that he enjoyed with his son. I suppose the adventure could have been to about anywhere and still been memorable, but with my love of the outdoors and my shared experiences with Dr Holman, my interest remained on the actual safari as well and the special times with a father and his son. I knew long ago that if I ever had a son, I wanted to do the same thing.
Well, I do have a son. He's 19 and just finished his first year off at college. We're now about to embark on that trip of which I've dreamed all these years. The 2 1/2 years since I started actively researching and planning this trip have past; my bullets are made, bags packed, guns cleaned and accurate, and the myriad of details hopefully attended.
We'll be on a 21-day hunt with Tanzania Gametracker Safaris, with lion, leopard, hippo, buff, gerenuk, gazelles and such in our dreams. Before our hunt begins on July 1 we'll visit the Ngorongoro Crater.
Our battery includes my Beretta 455 .470NE loaded with Woodleigh softs and solids, a Blaser R93 .375 H&H with a combo of Swift-A Frames and Woodleigh solids in 300gr, and my trusty custom .300WM firing more A-Frames in 200gr. I hope I can get my cache of ammo on the plane. Big Grin
We hope to take lots of pics and video that we can share with you in late July. A trip like this could never have been planned without the help of a lot of people, most of whom are right here on AR. For Saeed and the many of you that so freely offered advice, either directly or indirectly, I will always be grateful. During a special African sunset in the weeks ahead, I will lift my glass with toast of thanks to you.... beer

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Spring:

I'll get there about the time you leave. Save some animals in Tanzania for me, Russell and 1115!

Boy, it sure sounds like you've go it figured out. Great firearms (well, some folks like the Blaser.. Big Grin), a fine safari outfit, your son as a companion! Wow!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring,

Hoping that you and your son have an awesome trip! I am certain it will yield many wonderful memories to last a lifetime! You didn't mention what airline you are flying? I guess you are flying out of Atlanta thru Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro(Delta / KLM)? Let me know how your air service was when you return.
Best Wishes. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic

Take a couple of deep breaths. You will make it through the next couple of days.

Wayne Hendrey used to be the resident PH in the Moyowasi. I hope he is still there because he knows the swamp very well.

I've said it before but the Crater will blow your mind. So glad you are going there. Folks that hunt northern Tanzania and pass up the Crater have missed one of the greatest wildlife spectacle on the planet.

Good Hunting,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You're right about those "deep breaths"...Considering how long I've now been packed, this last week has been the slowest of all! nut I must also thank you, Mark, for encouraging me about a year ago to include Ngorongoro. It was only after that that I added it to the trip.

Hugh, yes, we'll be on KLM. I suspect we'll be among the first to have to deal with their new gun consent forms. Hopefully it will all work as it should.

JudgeG, I somewhat expected a lavish endorsement of my Blaser, but I didn't know I'd get it so soon... Wink As for leaving a few things for your distinguished group, if my Blaser is as lousy as some here thing it is, then you should have no worries!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring- All the best for your trip.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Spring - I know how you feel, I leave shortly with both my sons. It somehow feels "bigger" then the hunt itself. They grow in the blink of an eye, and soon your son like mine will be busy with his life and his family, as it should be. But the memories you are creating are forever. Have a GREAT trip! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring,

Congratulations in advance! Would you be using your Beretta 455? This must be a great hunt with a fantastic rifle.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Spring,

All the best for your safari. It is really terrific that you are taking your son along.

And if your R93 in .375 is as good as mine is, you and your son will sure as shootin' fill your bag!

But speaking from experience, I must warn you that twenty one days in Tanzania will very nearly ruin you for anything else!

Again, all the best.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Mehul,
Yes, I'll be using my .470 for buffalo and possibly other things, such as a hippo, if the shot calls for it. My son, still being a skinny teenager, shoots my .375 better than the 470 so I suspect he'll use that gun for his buff. Then again, he may just use my Beretta, too, as it is very accurate.

mrlexma, I, too love the way that R93 shoots. With the kickstop and that great trigger the guns are known for, it drives nails. And yes, I am a tiny bit concerned that future hunts may pale in comparison to 21 days in TZ. But I'm looking forward to finding a way to deal with it.... Wink

Thanks to all for the well wishes. Tomorrow won't arrive soon enough!

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime! Good luck and I look forward to reading your report and seeing photos.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Spring, have a great trip with your son...My son still has the desire to return to Africa..After last years trip to Zim..

Shoot well and be safe,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring, and son,
Good hunting and good shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote