New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick disconnect mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks I just recieved my 375 back from the Gunsmith. It is new and I had all of the recommended tweeks that all have recommended.

I had Leoupold QD mounts put on the rifle. They are so tight I can barely move them with maximum effort. In turning them to release I find a little circle scratched in the blueing.

What say yea?

Sprig Confused

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bullsprig,

The best QD mounts are From Talbots from Detroit..I have one of the Talbots mounts on my 375 and a set of Warne's on my 458 Lott...There is no comparison between the two... With the Talbot you push a pin and pull back on the scope and it is off in less then 4 seconds....
That's no bull... thumb

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I had Griffin & Howell make scope mounts for me. They work excellent! turn 2 levers and the scope is off! Well worth the money!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in the Talbots, contact Answer Products (same people who make and install Answer Brake muzzle brakes)in Davison, Michigan. They handle Talbot sales and will install them too, if you like. I believe that Talbot himself lives in Davison. I have had a pair on a .458 Lott for 8 years, fastest mount/dismount in the business.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bullsprig,

I have been selling and installing them since they hit the market. No complaints as yet.

DC300

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use the Rechtnagel schwenk detachables -quick, sturdy. Expensive...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello bullsprig,
If you are talking about the Leupold QRW rings, there is an allen head screw in the end of the lever which can aid you in the on/off feature of the mounts. They are fairly easy to adjust and normally just a quick twist will disengage them and engage as well. Not sure why you would be gouging the blueing on the rifle?? Who's base are you using?? Just curious for I have used them for several years in fairly tough conditions and all kinds of weather, mud, sand, dust, you name it and worked fine.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The Leupold QD mounts are excellent. I've had a set of them on my M70 .458 Win. Mag. for the last ten years, and the scope has always gone back to zero, and nothing has changed or moved during that entire time.

The trick to using the QDs is to just snug the locking levers up with moderate thumb pressure. You don't need to get agressive with them, tap them into position, etc. Recoil keeps them solidly tight.

The QDs are a better mount that Leupold's Warne-produced QRW mounts, which are not as well made, and the bases of the QRWs tend to get battered over the course of time right behind the slot.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive had'em all and the "Talbot" mounts are are the best!

Just got a set in.

The Army has fully evaluated this system (orginally developed for hunters)and was unable to make it fail. I know the folks who "officially" evaluated the system - they love it. Said the guns came back to perfect zero after every re-attachment. It's been successfully deployed to Iraq and used in combat.

Unless you want to use a 1913 Picatinney rail on your hunting rifle, this is by far he best hunting QD system out there.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the early Warne QD's which as I recall were made or designed by Kimber? Guess I'm getting old now I cannot seem to recall the details on this other then they were purchased from Kimber in Oregon. Then I think Warne began making them sometime after that.

I have had them on my 375HH since the late 80's without a single complaint. That is with many thousands of rounds through that rifle. They re-zero 100% and can be removed and replaced in a couple seconds. I'm sure there are others that work as well.

I have had a whole lot of clients with Leupold QD's and to date I cannot recall a single one with a complaint or re-zero problem. One fella in particular swapped scopes mid trip for some longer range shooting in the free state. That first experience spooked me because he insisted that no practice shots were needed his scope ans rifle would be perfect. Well he proved to be right and quickly nailed the remaining species without a hitch.

That one instance is not much resolution to prove a point but it does show that when properly setup the system works. I just wish somebody would make Stainless Steel rings and bases besides Rugers factory cut system.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The QRs are made in-house by Leupold, while the QRWs are sourced from Warne.

Does anyone have a photo or a link for Talbot mounts?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
DC 300,
I have alway had an interrest in the TAlbot mounting system....

Are the basis low enough to clear any set of low iron sights would be my concern..?

Cost of Talbots mounted, and turn around time?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is with Leupold's QRW and with Warne's Maximas.

The Leupold QRW/PRW design is flawed. The non symetrical ring halves scratch and dent the scope tube, and the ones that I had were dimensionally non-compliant to a MIL-STD-1913 blueprint. In other words, they are pieces of shit. It isn't Warne's fault, as they only make what Leupold designs.

My Warnes (both for Weaver and CZ/BRNO 19mm bases) have been flawless.

Does Talbot have a website, or some other way to get product information?

Also, why is using a MIL-STD-1913 rail on top of the receiver of hunting rifles so infrequently done? After all, it's probably the most versatile system yet, and its durability has been proven beyond question. Is it some kind of bias against military equipment?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the Answer site. The pictures aren't great. The bases look kind of high and I can't tell whether they're one piece or two piece. Maybe retreever can tell us.

Talbot

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO Warnes have a serious flaw on rifles requiring the levers on the bolt side...Recoil can and has flipped the levers to a position pointing towards the shooter in which case they interfer with the bolt lift, thus tie up the gun...This has happened to me on two ocassions and I got rid of all my Warnes and went to Talleys....

I observed a couple of broken arms on Leupolds, and although denied, I suspect someone got a bit tough on the pliers or some kind of leverage inhancer! shame

I have always liked the Griffen and Howe QDs as they leave the receiver completely clean for your iron sights, they come off and on easy and they have always worked perfectly for me..I always had G&H mount them for me...expensive...

Claw Mounts are probably the very best if properly mounted and designed, but again they are bloody expensive installed....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
IMO Warnes have a serious flaw on rifles requiring the levers on the bolt side...Recoil can and has flipped the levers to a position pointing towards the shooter in which case they interfer with the bolt lift, thus tie up the gun.....

I noticed that on my CZ, since the recoil lug on the rear ring forces the lever to be on the bolt side (for a right handed shooter, anyway). But since my rifle is a 6.5X55, I'm not too concerned about it. On rifles with Weaver/Picatinny bases, this is not an issue because the base of the ring is symetrical. I have the rings set up with the lever on the left side on my Model 70 HP match rifle, as I use a MIL-STD-1913 base for load development and the few long range matches that allow optical sights.

What caliber was your rifle that repositioned the lever on the rings? 375 H&H or above?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RE: "1913 rail"...I actually have one mounted on a "GA Precision" hunting rifle. Due to this unusual look for hunting and by incorporating several other "Tactical" features we named it appropriately the "Non-Typical" hunting rifle.

Go to www.gaprecision they will have images of this rifle up later this week.

As for the 1913 rail - kicks ass on my rifle and is nearly indestructable. Also really helps on getting eye relief dialed-in.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You weren't kidding when you said the G & H mounts are "expensive"...925.00 for the 30mm installed!

but as the old saying goes, "Nothing cheap is good and nothing good is cheap"

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are great but some of you need to get a job. You know entirely too much info.

As a clarification on my origional post, I purchased Loupold QR rings and Loupold two piece bases model number 50063 which is made for the M70. The circle scratches I referred to were on the scope mount bases.

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullspring!

This is our job, dang-it! homer

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have just turned my rings around so the levers are opposite the bolt. I probably assumed that was easy on every design? Maybe some action designs do not allow the rings or bases be turned around? That seems odd as they are functional either way.

On my Model 70's the rings can be used with the levers on either side of the action. I agree that I would not want the levers near the bolt for fear a panic action cycle would lift a lever up!

I have some old warne/kimber rings and bases which also may be different from current production. It's also possible with mine to have the front ring with the lever on the same side as the bolt and the rear one opposite. The rings can be mounted in either direction.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:
Maybe some action designs do not allow the rings or bases be turned around? That seems odd as they are functional either way.

Correct, the rear bridge of the CZ 550 has a notch on the left side for a recoil lug on the bottom of the ring/base unit. On Warnes, that forces you to place the QD lever on the right side of the rifle.