THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What calibers have you shot game with anywhere?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What calibers have you shot game with anywhere?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This is the wrong question.

How many of you are brainless enough to try shooting an unexploded bomb with a 223?

Then finding that a 223 would not penetrate the bomb case. Then drive 60 miles to get a 375H&H with solids to blow the bomb up? beer

You are going to have enlarge on this story, you know, just a little more detail. Roll Eyes dancing

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Shot a White Phos grenade with a 7.62 Nato one time .....

But, strangely that did penetrate it and make it fizz. Smiler

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(there there a couple of single barrel calibers but I'm too ashamed to list them).
Cal

yuck

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22LR
.30-06
.300 Win Mag
155mm Howitzer

.50 Cal Flintlock
.50 Cal Inline

12ga
20ga

XI Bow
PSE Bow
Reflex Bow

This year in deer season hoping to add 9.3x62 and .458 Win Mag.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting the Box H:
That was one slow Monday. Would you lot please go out and burn some powder, or at the very least go sniff a few shotgun shells. Big Grin

On a more serious note, you guys in the US have the best gun laws in the world, proof of that lies in these lists.
I wish you all the best of luck in preserving the freedoms that allow you to shoot most anything you want freely and without all the nonsense and hoop jumping we are stuck with.

I can only speak for my list, but I suspect most lists are not all those firearms at any one time frame, but as in my case many of the chemberings were at different times and in more than one firearm over a life time.

It is true that in the USA we have the right to bare arms in our constitution, and over a life time a dedicated shooter/hunter can own, and shoot a lot of different firearms. The administration we are under presently is trying hard to take that right away, however!

..................................................................... patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
17HMR
22LR
220 Swift
223 Rem
22-250
243 Weatherby
257 Weatherby
270 Weatherby
280 REM
7 MM REM MAG
308 Win
30-06
300 Win Mag
300 Weatherby Mag
340 Weatherby
375 H&H
416 Rem Mag

Tim

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting the Box H:
That was one slow Monday. Would you lot please go out and burn some powder, or at the very least go sniff a few shotgun shells. Big Grin

On a more serious note, you guys in the US have the best gun laws in the world, proof of that lies in these lists.
I wish you all the best of luck in preserving the freedoms that allow you to shoot most anything you want freely and without all the nonsense and hoop jumping we are stuck with.

I can only speak for my list, but I suspect most lists are not all those firearms at any one time frame, but as in my case many of the chemberings were at different times and in more than one firearm over a life time.

It is true that in the USA we have the right to bare arms in our constitution, and over a life time a dedicated shooter/hunter can own, and shoot a lot of different firearms. The administration we are under presently is trying hard to take that right away, however!

..................................................................... patriot

No...I own many more than I listed in post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
I get the distinct impression that some of you bastards are just bragging because you do not have restrictive gun laws. It is worse than a rich kid eating cake in front of a poor kid. Tell me, do you feel good?? CRYBABY Roll Eyes Big Grin

YES it feels so good.

Also let be known that there can be many many guns in the same caliber owned. dancing

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you very much! We are very fortunate that our founders put in specific articles and laws to protect our way of life. Our way of life is under siege here and we are doing all we can to maintain our right to this way of life. Your situation is shamefull and flat out wrong!

I, for one, apologize for what our "liberals" did to your country. I don't know how you guys can stand Americans, but I am damn sure glad you can!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too! Ican't hardly stand to turn loose of a gun once I get it! Roll Eyes.........some sort of affliction....

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, how many of you have gone hunting crows and pigeons with a converted Ruger #1 from 458 Winchester magnum to 460 Weatherby and 375H&H?

How many of you are brainless enough to try shooting an unexploded bomb with a 223?

Then finding that a 223 would not penetrate the bomb case. Then drive 60 miles to get a 375H&H with solids to blow the bomb up?

Proof that the spirit of "redneck" is alive and well all over the world! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
I get the distinct impression that some of you bastards are just bragging because you do not have restrictive gun laws. It is worse than a rich kid eating cake in front of a poor kid. Tell me, do you feel good?? CRYBABY Roll Eyes Big Grin

Scriptus,

And just look how well those restrictive gun laws are curbing the crime rate in South Africa! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.577 Nitro Express. ...and did it kick hard on both ends ...

Posts: 389 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Thank you very much! We are very fortunate that our founders put in specific articles and laws to protect our way of life. Our way of life is under siege here and we are doing all we can to maintain our right to this way of life. Your situation is shamefull and flat out wrong!

I, for one, apologize for what our "liberals" did to your country. I don't know how you guys can stand Americans, but I am damn sure glad you can!

+1 Jimmy Carter was the first Barack Obama!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of m77lewis
posted Hide Post
22 hornet
22-250
7mm-08
30-06
7mm rem mag
300 win mag
338 win mag
All Ruger m77 rifles!
and 1 handgun,
s&w 41 mag

"Peace is that brief glorious moment when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 25 | Location: Dayton, Pa | Registered: 17 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well the question is what calibers have you shot game with. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what all of the above said....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

But Mac was saying most of us didn't own all of those guns at once.

My response was: I own many more that I listed....not less.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, for someone living in firearms-restricted SA I probably haven't done too badly. A gun-nut for a dad probably helped, too!

9mmP (worked for a hungry man on a warthog)
Various 20- and 12-bore shotguns (mostly an 1887 Woodward 12-bore of late)
12-bore H&H Paradox (made in 1893 - BP only)
.177 airgun
6,5x57
.264 Rem Mag
6,5x57
7x57
7x64
.308 Win
.30-06
.300 H&H
.300 Weatherby
.318 WR
9,3x62
.375 H&H
.404 Jeff

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 04 June 2013 10:45Hide Post
I get the distinct impression that some of you bastards are just bragging because you do not have restrictive gun laws. It is worse than a rich kid eating cake in front of a poor kid. Tell me, do you feel good??

Hopefully you were just kidding.
On the other hand, you live in an area that holds something like 25% of the worlds animals, there are times I might would trade places with you.
The list I compiled covered over 50 years of hunting.
By the way, I have many firearms that have yet to draw blood that were not listed.
Bragging, NO, just am blessed to have been born free enough to enjoy my 2nd amendment rights, wish you had the same.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:

Hopefully you were just kidding.

By the way, I have many firearms that have yet to draw blood that were not listed.
Bragging, NO, just am blessed to have been born free enough to enjoy my 2nd amendment rights, wish you had the same.

Yes! SOB!! CRYBABY I, Sob! CRYBABY CRYBABY was just kidding! SOB! SOB! CRYBABY

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes! SOB!! I, Sob! was just kidding! SOB! SOB!

I never claimed to be the sharpest person around & it's smartasses like you that I enjoy hanging out with.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22lr
.22WMR
.223Rem
6.5x55 SE
7mm Rem Mag
.308 Win
.30-06
.303 Brit
.375H&H
.410 Shotgun
12ga Shotgun

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.177 BB
.22 pellet
.22 Lr
.22 WMr
257 rob
25-06
7x57
7 mm rem mag
7 wsm
30-30
30-06
300 wby
300 wm
9.3 x 62
375 h&h
.416 rem
.416 rigby
.404j
.458 wm
10 ga
12 ga
16 ga
20 ga
410 ga
50 cal muzzle loader

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

I only listed the ones I shot game with not all owned.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
So far I think I have taken ground squirrels with a 375H&H,416Rigby and a 470Nitro. I don't THINK I have ever taken that particular game animal with any other cartridge arm. I HAVE used a 177 HyScore airpistol several times just for test purposes. A HyScore was the first gun I ever owned. My Father gave it to me around 1949. 50 years later I found this one in the original box with half a can of original pellets that came in the box and the dealer sold it for the original printed price in the box. Mint condition except the leathers were completely dry and so pressure was very poor. I think the original printed price was $17.95.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn, let's see:
Flipper Crotch(aka sling shot)(not sure of the caliber dancing) with good round stones
Daisy Red Rider lever action BB gun
.177 Caliber pellet gun
.22 Caliber pellet gun
22 short (pistol and rifle)
22 long rifle (pistol and rifle)
22 long (rifle)
22 Win Mag (pistol and rifle)
22-250 Rem
223 WSSM
25 WSSM
257 Roberts
257 Weatherby
270 Win
7mm Rem Mag
300 Savage
30-30 Win
30-06
300 WSM
325 WSM
338 Win
375 H&H
450-400
470 NE
458 Lott
12 gauge
16 gauge
20 gauge
28 gauge
410 gauge
50 Caliber Muzzleloader
54 Caliber Muzzleloader
There may be others that will come to mind in due time. Big Grin And, still others that will take game in the future with time and opportunity. Smiler Many other calibers owned but not drawn blood with yet. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

I only listed the ones I shot game with not all owned.

Me too. That...was the point I was trying to make.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Dang, I need to diversify a little.

12 gauge

270 WSM (one)
30-06 (most)
375 H&H (some)

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Dang, I need to diversify a little.

12 gauge

270 WSM (one)
30-06 (most)
375 H&H (some)

There was one time when I had very little money that a 06,20ga,22rf rifle pistol was all I needed.

Then I learned the error of my ways

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:
Yes! SOB!! I, Sob! was just kidding! SOB! SOB!

I never claimed to be the sharpest person around & it's smartasses like you that I enjoy hanging out with.

Thanks. tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22 Mag. I hate recoil!!! Eeker

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a real long list:
22LR
7X57
30-30
30-06
300 SAUM
300 Win Mag
375 H+H
404J
458 WM
12 G

They all did the job save the 308 and that was my fault. Knocked a buck off it's feet, stupidly put the rifle down, it got up, staggered into the woods leaving no blood trail. Even the tracking dog couldn't find it. I must have pulled the shot but I'll never use the 308 again, just superstitious, the rest of them worked just fine.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Looking back over my list, I forgot the .44 Rem. Mag.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Since this IS the African Big Game Hunting forum-- sofa

In Africa-
500 NE
450 NE
378 WM
9.3x62
30-06
6.5x54
12ga

Anywhere--- several others

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
17 Rem
22 S, L, LR
22 WRF
22 Mag
222 Rem
223 Rem
22-250
220 Swift
6mm Rem
257 Roberts
7x57
30-06
30-40
300 H&H
32 Special
8x57
38 Special
357 Mag
35 Whelen
41 Mag
400 Whelen
44 Mag
45 Colt
45-70
28 gauge
20 gauge
16 gauge
12 gauge
10 gauge

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
20 Vartarg
243 WIN
300 WSM
300 Weatherby
7-08 Rem
280 Rem
7mm Rem Mag
340 Weatherby
375 H&H
416 Weatherby
458 Lott
20 gauge
12 gauge

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So far, just about every logical (and even illogical) increment from 0.177 inch to 0.729 inch.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
22 LR
6 mm Rem
30-06
375 H&H
12 GA

Shortest list so far. Does not seem like I'm the gun-nut like some of you others.... Smiler

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shortest list so far. Does not seem like I'm the gun-nut like some of you others....

Stop at a friends house yesterday he has like twice as many as I do.

I am not a nut but he is. Eeker