THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How to connect to the internet when in remote areas?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to connect to the internet when in remote areas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am no tech genius. I am sorely lacking in my understanding of how all this works.

My question - is there a device that I can use to connect to the internet or a cell system remotely when no connection is available?

In other words, I have seen a PH use a device where no cell signal was available. It seemed to connect to a satellite or something else.

Help needed !

Thanks!

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sat modems.

That is what we use.

Expensive though.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sat modems will get you (as Saeed said, expensive) moderate speed internet connection. If you just need connectivity for conversation (not data), you can look into either a sat phone or a sat texting device. I have had good experience with the Garmin InReach device for sat texting capabilities at a really reasonable price and buy low volume sat phone sim cards for voice connectivity when I'm going to be off the grid.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Africa there are only four choices - Landline/DSL/WiFi, Radio/Microwave WiFi, Cell Networks 3G and 4G, and finally satellite. As Saeed said, Satellite is pretty pricey for non-critical communications.

The good news is the SpaceX Starlink service will soon be available. It promises to have much of the same throughput at 3G and still be cost effective - at least that is the marketing hype. We have signed up to Beta Test the network so will be interesting to see if it can deliver. If it does, all of our communications challenges in remote Africa will be resolved... finally.

In many of the cellular fringe areas you will not be able to use 3G or 4G smartphones, but the older dual-band 2G (GSM 850/1900) phones will work - voice only, no data. We have boxes of Nokia 105's for these areas.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a device that I think is called and i Savi.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

A little off topic but I've been amazed in the last few years at how many remote camps I can call on WhatsApp. I literally can follow my hunters day by day progress and get pix from them the day they score.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Mark said, WhatsApp sometimes works in remote areas however in some parts of Western Tanzania WhatsApp does not work.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order for WhatsApp to work (VoIP) on cellular, there must be sufficient G3 to G4 connectivity to support the data rate. No data bandwidth, no WhatsApp.

That is why a burner phone like the Nokia 105 can be a life saver when nothing else works - other than satellite of course.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have used a BGAN unit several times, rented from Andy Cool at Explorer Sat., worked really well in most parts of Africa that we've visited. Didn't work worth a flip in Canada (British Columbia or Newfoundland). Not terribly expensive, either.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
We have used a BGAN unit several times, rented from Andy Cool at Explorer Sat., worked really well in most parts of Africa that we've visited. Didn't work worth a flip in Canada (British Columbia or Newfoundland). Not terribly expensive, either.

Only INMARSAT covers north of a certain latitude.

Thuraya does not, more around the equator.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thuraya Satsleeve worked well for me in the past. You can connect it your smartphone and use your phone via sat connection (VPN recommended).
It's not cheap though.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Thuraya Satsleeve worked well for me in the past. You can connect it your smartphone and use your phone via sat connection (VPN recommended).
It's not cheap though.

You are lucky.

We tried 3 sat sleeves and non of them worked all the time.

In fact, I am very upset about Thuraya.

If I can help it, I won't be using their BEGAN again.

Their sat phone works fine, but BEGAN has given us endless problems.

Especially in Tanzania.

The impression I am getting is that they are well over subscribed, and they do not have the bandwidth to support it.

We got billed for streaming one year!!

We never stream anything.

In fact, it was bad enough getting normal Internet connection.

I refused to pay it.

After that we used INMARSAT and were very happy with their services.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I only used it in Western Africa (Cameroon, Benin, Burkina) and a few times in central Asia.
It worked well with my android phones, but it took some work to set it up. And without a VPN it would probably not work at all.

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ones we tried were with iPhones.

Never worked.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Most camps in Zambia have their own wifi system set up.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Most camps in Zambia have their own wifi system set up.

Aren't most camps in Zambia permanent?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you do it, Saeed, but it's definitely not for me. I enjoy your posts from the bush.

I can't imagine how you find the time to do it! Maybe I don't have the energy, but I actually like not being connected to the outside world when hunting, even though I have used satellite phones and even email and the internet when possible.

Mostly I have done it because it's possible, because of the need sometimes to be responsive to my clients, and to be honest, sometimes just simply out of habit.

Still, I do miss the good old days, when one could say to one and all: I will be unreachable for the next X days (or weeks, in some instances).

We cannot honestly say that anymore, no matter where we go, and more's the pity, IMO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote